OT: MLB Thread Part VII: Mots and Yonkos pls

Status
Not open for further replies.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
the mets are fine right now. really, I'm pretty happy with where they are considering.

they just beat the best pitcher in the nl.

they had washington beat the last time thor pitched and pissed that away thanks to a parnell meltdown.

they are 2 games back and its almost august with mostly smoke and mirrors.

few things,

if tejada can play SS adequately, and make the routine plays and turn the dp, even tho he can't hit it very far, I'm happy. he's dependable and has been swinging a good bat lately.

if wilmer can do the same at 2B, and keep his live bat in the lineup, ditto. he's 10/40 right now. thats money.

if murph is healthy and can play a steady 3B and hit like he can and duda can get out of his awful slump, then I'm loving the infield as is.

get back tda, hope he stays healthy and I'm ok with that entire infield.

i would look to add parra from the brewers- perfect fit. defensively sound and can help the middle of the lineup. he's a very good player and would improve our OF tremendously. add johnson as well and i like those 5 guys. rest grandy and largares.

parra can spell lagares in center and even play some RF, and then keep conforto around as the 4th OF who will get alot of games and ab's.

if conforto continues to hit, sandy may just play this out and make a lesser move.

I'm hoping they add parra and keep conforto and make a run at a wc spot.

do NOT move wheeler or any of the other 4.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I don't have a problem with Kirk as a 4th OF, but with the acquisitions we just made, Kirk should absolutely not be getting a start if Lagares sits. Everyone's always so worried about bad defense with this team, but reality is that we don't hit. Defense is not a big problem with our team. Shift Grandy to CF, Conforto and Johnson take RF and LF. That allows you to get Flores or Uribe's bat in the lineup instead of Kirk's, and thats a big difference. We need to stop worrying about fielding so much. We don't score runs. Get the best bats in the lineup and stop giving so many days off.

With Tejada, I just don't trust that he's going to hit. After how he's hit the last few seasons, I find it hard to believe that he's once again a decent hitter. If this is what he is, there wouldn't have been any SS discussions to begin with, but we saw the last few seasons that his offense wasn't what it had been.

It's not like the Mets are sitting Alex Rodriguez. Mets cant afford bad defense because they don't score runs. They simply can't afford to give away as many runs as they have this season, though they've been much better recently apart from some bonehead plays by Murphy.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Apparently the Mets promoted Conforto because they couldn't agree on a deal for Parra. Could mean that the Mets were really interested in him as the reports indicated that the Mets were not going to bring him up. Maybe they can still get him but it would almost certainly mean he would be sent down when Cuddyer returns from the dl.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
I don't hate Wilmer, but he's been at 10/40 for about a month it seems. That's an issue.

true but his bat helps.

considering what a full year of tejada at SS would be, ill take wilmer and his warts.

the entire offense is suffering from half of the lineup being AAA players or worse and injuries.

there is zero protection. no one sees anything good to hit. we have stiffs who can't hit surrounding guys who are hurt or in slumps.

thats the problem.

BarbaraAlphanse

I think that Long had a convo with Wilmer. His average has gone up and his homer rate has decreased. He's hitting singles now. I'm sure the mets were worried about his average. They're probably telling him to worry about maintaining an average and then the home runs can come if he's not compromising his at bats.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Small sample but Kirk is 13 for his last 36. Over .300 BA. He should be getting ABs. Gets buoyed by his 4-4 on Saturday a little. Better than Lagares has been playing and has driven the ball too.

Ruben has been hitting .300 over the past couple weeks. .260 over the last month. He's solid on defense and puts quality ABs together. One of the few guys working counts on this team consistently. I'd love to hit him 7th at some point. Not ideal at #2. Healthy TDA and Wright would allow that.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Small sample but Kirk is 13 for his last 36. Over .300 BA. He should be getting ABs. Gets buoyed by his 4-4 on Saturday a little. Better than Lagares has been playing and has driven the ball too.

Ruben has been hitting .300 over the past couple weeks. .260 over the last month. He's solid on defense and puts quality ABs together. One of the few guys working counts on this team consistently. I'd love to hit him 7th at some point. Not ideal at #2. Healthy TDA and Wright would allow that.

I've written off wright.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
It's going to be tough for Flores to get into the lineup consistently. Tejada is a better SS and over their careers they have nearly indentical OPS. Flores is the better 2B. Kelly Johnson is about the same as Flores defensively at 2B but has been a much better hitter (+100 OPS). There may be other angles to look at but I don't see Flores getting many starts in the near term except against lefties. But there aren't many lefties around. Hopefully he'll be able to get a few extra spot starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad