MLB Shohei Ohtani’s ten year $700m contract with LA includes $680m in deferred money

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
No. You still have not addressed inflation/real wage once. Or post some quotes about why this makes sense. Explain to me how you factored that in and I’ll gladly be on my way and take a loss. Until than I’m going to assume you are full of shit
You still haven’t explained why people running billion dollar investment firms, are saying it’s the smart move.

I’ll wait while you explain while several of these people are all wrong, and a rando on the internet is right. You just seem to ignore what everyone is telling you.

You couldn’t be more wrong, if you tried.

Reactions: Spydey629

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
lol that’s taxes. Again. Not what I was saying and nothing to do with inflation or real wage.

The highest tax bracket is 1.5 million in Cali. Which means any dollar earned over 1.5 mil will be taxed at the same rate, currently 12.3%. The tax rate will not increase due to his endorsements. But you should know that Mr MBA.

I’ll take the W thank you very much,

I know… you’re right, because your textbook says so. Congrats. You’re officially a meme.

You just keep pounding the table on your point, but are forgetting the 847 variables and other circumstances going into the equation.

Bottom line, your math is flawed. And therefore, your entire argument.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
I wondered what the difference is between the "inflation loss from deferments without interest" vs Jock Tax and state tax savings.

Using A-Rod's reported Jock Tax on his $22 million salary as a Texas Ranger(2.4%), plus a 12.3% California state tax rate, the difference between the state taxes over 10 years on $700m vs $20m is $99.96m

But he'll have to pay some kind of tax somewhere on $68m for 10 years down the line, we just have no idea what.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
You still haven’t explained why people running billion dollar investment firms, are saying it’s the smart move.

I’ll wait while you explain while several of these people are all wrong, and a rando on the internet is right. You just seem to ignore what everyone is telling you.

You couldn’t be more wrong, if you tried.
Still no comment on real wage or inflation lmao

I literally said post some of what they’ve said on here but you didn’t even do that..

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I know… you’re right, because your textbook says so. Congrats. You’re officially a meme.

You just keep pounding the table on your point, but are forgetting the 847 variables and other circumstances going into the equation.

Bottom line, your math is flawed. And therefore, your entire argument.
Why is it flawed? You haven’t stated once. You just keep talking about taxes. But have yet to address inflation… not once

You haven’t literally said anything other than taxes… or that you’re a university professor which is blatantly false at this point.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Still no comment on real wage or inflation lmao

I literally said post some of what they’ve said on here but you didn’t even do that..
Dodges the question 3x , lmao
Refuses to comment why billionaire investors said it was good.
Google buddy, it was on TV

So you got nothing, shocking.

Last edited:

Nowotny

Dec 29, 2021
East Valley,AZ
It's because FIFA is being held accountable, as it literally involves every country on Earth.

North American sports leagues are accountable to no one. Especially not from governments like FIFA. A) a significant majority of sports team owners are involved in politics. They bankroll one of the two parties, aka oligarchs. B) I'm not familiar with any North American sports leagues other than the NHL. But like the NHL it is used by the government as a propaganda tool aka jingoism as required military nights and players must wear military style jerseys + many NHL games start like a third world military parade.

Another thing is lack of free press. It is hard to take leagues seriously where there is no legitimate independent anti-doping control. It does not follow the WADA code and does not allow USADA or WADA to test. I have yet to see an NHL journalist criticising the NHL's anti-doping efforts. Probably because that person would immediately lose his/her accreditation.

Like for example there's the case of Boogaard, he even failed the lame NHL doping test several times, nothing happened. NHL team doctors gave him extremely strong painkillers like they were candy. If this happened in Europe then many people would have gone to prison for many years. NHL has quite a lot of skeletons in the closet; deaths, suicides, brain injuries, addictions... But you don't see any 'journalist' holding the NHL accountable. Everyone's like, let's move on there's nothing to see here.
Biggest difference is that soccer teams develop their own players.Practically all European teams(big and small) have their "academies" that they support.North American professional teams get young players for free.

Reactions: GaboriklessWild

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I wondered what the difference is between the "inflation loss from deferments without interest" vs Jock Tax and state tax savings.

Using A-Rod's reported Jock Tax on his $22 million salary as a Texas Ranger(2.4%), plus a 12.3% California state tax rate, the difference between the state taxes over 10 years on $700m vs $20m is $99.96m

But he'll have to pay some kind of tax somewhere on $68m for 10 years down the line, we just have no idea what.

Very easy for him to make that tax payment extremely low.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Actually it does make financial sense, Kevin O’Leary was talking about this last night, and went into some of the reasons, said it was very smart move, also mentioned he makes 45 million a year currently in endorsements.

He wouldn’t of got 70 million with the Dodgers otherwise,
He likely does not live in California after retirement.

The guy is stinking rich already, if he likes california he will stay there and not move away just to pinch pennies (relatively speaking). Also financial 'experts' are making pretty hefty assumptions that his deffered payments will completely escape california taxes, i've seen others say that's likely not true even if he moves out of the state.

Fact of the matter is that poster is largely right, money today is wortha lot more than money 10-20 years down the road. This wasn't some financial masterplan as much as it was simply the player taking a discount to make his team more competitive. As you said, he has millions each year flowing in in endorsements.

He's a unicorn and was able to afford to defer all this money, like no other athlete could or 'would'.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
The guy is stinking rich already, if he likes california he will stay there and not move away just to pinch pennies (relatively speaking). Also financial 'experts' are making pretty hefty assumptions that his deffered payments will completely escape california taxes, i've seen others say that's likely not true even if he moves out of the state.

Fact of the matter is that poster is largely right, money today is wortha lot more than money 10-20 years down the road. This wasn't some financial masterplan as much as it was simply the player taking a discount to make his team more competitive. As you said, he has millions each year flowing in in endorsements.

He's a unicorn and was able to afford to defer all this money, like no other athlete could or 'would'.
Actually it was a great move by Ohtani, it’s been reported, if it wasn’t deferred the LA money would have been about 55 million vs 70 million. Toronto was offering 50 million and everyone thought he was going there. Not to mention he taking in 40+ million in sponsorship money a year while playing on top of his pay.

I’ll take the financial experts opinion over HFB, thanks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad