MLB Mock Draft

Say Hey Kid

War, it's just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Every few years they decide to call this guy by a different name. It's crazy.

1703879164036.png

Grover Cleveland "Pete" Alexander broke into the big leagues with a flourish in 1911 with the Philadelphia Phillies, setting a rookie record with 28 wins.

And Alexander was just getting started. During his 20 seasons in the big leagues, Alexander would become one of the most successful pitchers the game has ever seen.

Using a wide variety of breaking pitches, deceptive speed and pinpoint control, Alexander soon found himself being compared to the top pitchers of his era. He averaged 27 wins per season during his seven years in Philadelphia from 1911-17, including one three-year span in which he won 31, 33 and 30.

“He made me want to throw my bat away when I went to the plate,” said Hall of Fame second baseman Johnny Evers. “He fed me pitches I couldn’t hit. If I let them go, they were strikes. He made you hit bad balls. He could throw into a tin can all day long.” @Dr Pepper

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
1703889241488.png

At the time of his retirement, the numbers left little room for doubt. Lee Arthur Smith – by virtue of having saved the most games in major league history – was one of baseball’s greatest relief pitchers. By 1980, the 6-foot-5, 220-pound right-hander with the blazing fastball debuted with the Cubs, and by 1982 he had earned Chicago’s closer job with 17 saves and a 2.69 earned-run average in 72 games. The next season, Smith led the National League with 29 saves – the first of four times he would lead his league in that category – while posting a 1.65 ERA. @Dr Pepper

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
1703908743774.png

Fellow Hall of Fame hurler Rich “Goose” Gossage once said of Dennis Eckersley’s mound skill: “He could hit a gnat in the butt with a pitch if he wanted to.”

Eckersley’s control helped him blaze a unique path as the only big league pitcher with 100 saves and 100 complete games. He spent the first half of his 24-year career with the Indians, Red Sox and Cubs as one of the game’s top starting pitchers, capturing double-figure win totals 10 times – including a 20-win season – and tossing a 1977 no-hitter.

“It was obvious to me Eckersley would be an outstanding pitcher,” said Bob Quinn, Cleveland’s minor league director during Eck’s tenure with the team. “He had outstanding speed and intimidated you with a sidearm slider. But the thing that always impressed me – and I saw him pitch in the Texas League – was his makeup. He has that extra ingredient that says he will excel. Not necessarily a perfectionist, but he wants nothing but to beat you.” @Dr Pepper

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
1703909400649.png

There was nothing conventional about Hoyt Wilhelm's path to the Hall of Fame.

He spent most of his big league career coming out of the bullpen, becoming the first reliever ever enshrined. He didn't make his major league debut until he was 29 years old, then pitched until he was nearly 50. And his arsenal featured not overpowering fastballs or knee-bending curveballs, but instead relied almost exclusively on a darting, unpredictable knuckleball.

"I got to messing with the (knuckleball) in high school," Wilhelm said. "I started to see that the ball was doing something. I figured it was my only ticket to the big leagues, 'cause I couldn’t throw hard, and I knew if I was going to play ball, I'd have to make it some other way."

Wilhelm's big league career nearly ended before it began. While serving in the Army during World War II, shrapnel from a German artillery blast struck Wilhelm in the back and right hand. He received the Purple Heart.

Dusty Baker, MNGR. Thanks for playing! @Dr Pepper

Closer RHP Dennis Eckersley
RHP Hoyt Wilhelm
RHP Lee Smith

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr Pepper

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad