Speculation: Mittias Samuelsson

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I imagine this is a D man most people dislike?
Defensive D men shouldn't be picked this high right?

Is it just me but my first instinct is not "definitely no"
I want to know what people think of this prospect.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I wouldn't mind him with a late 1st round pick. Kind of seems similar to Brady Skjei, who has become a pretty solid defenseman. He is generally ranked in the 17-30 range right now.

He's one of a few guys who I want to see at the U18's to form a better opinion.

Here's a quote from his coach from Team USA:
"Mattias Samuelsson is going to be a top-three defenseman on some NHL team for the next 15-plus years," Appert said. "He's going to eat minutes, he's going to help you win and he's going to be miserable to play against."

Samuelsson using size, pedigree to develop into top prospect

Last edited:
Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Scouting reports indicate he's Jonathan Ericsson 2.0.
Now, honestly, as we've seen you can do worse than Ericsson in the late first.
But he wouldn't be my guy.

At that point in the draft, if you're looking D, I'd choose Alexeyev. Merkley, Sandin or Woo.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
If we take a D with our top 10, as is most likely, I kinda hope we don’t target a D with the Vegas pick.

But if this kid falls into the 2nd it might be a good pick.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If we take a D with our top 10, as is most likely, I kinda hope we don’t target a D with the Vegas pick.

Kind of depends what type of guy we take with the first pick too, IMO.

If we take Hughes or Boqvist in the top 10, wouldn't mind grabbing a guy like this in the 20-30 range. Kind of like how Vegas took Brannstrom, then came back around and took Hague last year.

I don't mind going D with both first rounders this year. I think we could draft half of our future top 4 this year with those picks. I would just kind of like to do either a LHD/RHD, or puck mover/2 way mix with the picks if we go that route.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Not interested in him at all with our first pick, not really sure I'd be interested in with any of our first rounders. I'm not a fan of taking guys like this that get talked up before the draft but don't really have anything that stands out and whose general level of play isn't high enough to draw real interest.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I honestly just don't have enough faith in the Wings ability to develop defensemen to want a guy like this even with a late first with another defenseman picked early

it's a later piece of the puzzle for when you already have something and as far as i'm concerned until proven otherwise by a defenseman actually doing well in the NHL for once the Wings will have nothing at the position

Reactions: 21 Savage

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I honestly just don't have enough faith in the Wings ability to develop defensemen to want a guy like this even with a late first with another defenseman picked early

it's a later piece of the puzzle for when you already have something and as far as i'm concerned until proven otherwise by a defenseman actually doing well in the NHL for once the Wings will have nothing at the position

So you think we should draft all forwards, and trade someone eventually for a D man?

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I wouldn't take him before 36th at the earliest. He hasn't looked awful when I watch him, I just prefer other defensemen a bit more.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
So you think we should draft all forwards, and trade someone eventually for a D man?

nah that can be tricky too,I just think if they're gonna draft the position they should avoid secondary pieces in the early rounds until they actually get some sort of proven building block

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
nah that can be tricky too,I just think if they're gonna draft the position they should avoid secondary pieces in the early rounds until they actually get some sort of proven building block

Who is a good building block D avaialable at 33/36??

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Who is a good building block D avaialable at 33/36??

don't really pay enough attention to this stuff to have much of a list of guys that late in the draft

i'd much rather take someone with more of a risk if they got more upside to them though,someone like Calen Addison maybe

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
I would be fine with it if it was the vegas pick, or maybe an early 2nd round pick. We have a lot of small offensive D in the system right now, and a big shutdown guy could be a good pairing. plus with him going the college route he can take a few years to develop his massive frame (which at just turning 18 could still be growing) to be a beast. I just think about watching him around our net to clear the crease. we really havent had a guy who could do that in a while. E has always had the build for that, but was never as mean as one would hope.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
But seriously, my understanding is that Mattias is actually pretty good with the puck. He's not an offensive guy, but he shouldn't be Ericsson, either. I've heard it's Adam Samuelsson who is a more of a pure shutdown presence.

Yeah, Adam is the one I wouldn't touch before the late rounds. Mattias has pretty good skill, just not elite skill. I like him better than Bahl and Regula. This board has been conditioned to think that all big players lack skill and that all smaller players are very skilled. It isn't quite so simple.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

not going to happened . Holland were saying that we have plenty D prospects

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad