Prospect Info: Mitchell Wheaton

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Good Canadian kid? He's big.

“He’s a real intelligent defender,” said Red Wings scout Jeff Finley. “Thinks the game really well and moves the puck really well for a big guy. He’s physical, but I wouldn’t call him punishing.”

“He sees the ice well,” Finley said. “When he has the puck on his stick, he can make a good first pass for a big guy. But moving forward, I think of him more as a big-body shut-down type of guy.”

http://www.redwingscentral.com/2013/07/01/4015/wheaton-a-big-body-shut-down-d/

Last edited:

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
I'd assume so. I guess the Wings brass is a little worried about the extra toughness in the East. I also think the game is headed back towards clutch & grab, :shakehead, so we're stocking up on player that play that style.

On Wheaton:

Corey Pronman said:
DET selects Wheaton. Huge defenseman who plays tough. Skating's just ok/decent. Not much offensive ability.

1st Line Interloper

Will Drop the Gloves
May 4, 2013
Other than Nedomel and Nicastro, we don't really have any "defensive D" prospects. It's a nice change of pace at that position.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
Wow. He was ranked the 69th NA skater. I mean I know Central Scouting is hardly a bible but that seems like incredible value here.

Plus as you noted; huge. 6'4" 228.

Shoots left :(

but that's the problem with central scouting. they moreless rank by size. no other scouting service is overvalueing size as much as them.

nonetheless a project i like. D with size is certainly always a need.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
but that's the problem with central scouting. they moreless rank by size. no other scouting service is overvalueing size as much as them.

nonetheless a project i like. D with size is certainly always a need.

Sure. Agree even. I definitely figure if you're taking shots in the 5th round, big/defensive isn't a bad place to be for a D-man anyways.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Wow. He was ranked the 69th NA skater. I mean I know Central Scouting is hardly a bible but that seems like incredible value here.

Plus as you noted; huge. 6'4" 228.

Shoots left :(

They're just making up for the 300th rated Bertuzzi.. :)

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
They're just making up for the 300th rated Bertuzzi.. :)

Sigh... I know. I just, I had to leave that other thread. I want to talk about the draft but I just can't seriously discuss why Tyler Bertuzzi might be like Andrew Shaw despite virtually no evidence whatsoever that he's as talented as Shaw is.

I'm just going to try and forget we traded our 1st round pick/drafted Bertuzzi. I figure it'll make me calmer; but I'm not even going to pretend I can take the Andrew Shaw comparison seriously.... sorry. :(

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Read that as "I think his strength is his strength". Was a little bit confusing but big guy with hockey sense should have a place in the league right?

I can't be held responsible for the strange way Canadians speak; was quoting the coach verbatum :) (although, possibly impeded by beer)

Edit: also posted this in another thread but it seems Mitchell and McNulty have met before!

- this should make the prospects game more exciting! :)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I like this pick. He seems like a guy that will play with a mean streak and use his size. Not a guy like Ericsson and Kindl who are 6'4 and you have to remind them that they are big and need to hit.

If he is a guy who can make it to the league in some capacity and block shots and clear the crease then I'd be super happy with this pick.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I can't be held responsible for the strange way Canadians speak; was quoting the coach verbatum :) (although, possibly impeded by beer)

Edit: also posted this in another thread but it seems Mitchell and McNulty have met before!

- this should make the prospects game more exciting! :)

Hahaha, hilarious. :laugh:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Cody Nickolet ‏@WHLFromAbove 9 h
The Red Wings grab @Kelowna_Rockets D Mitch Wheaton at 139. A big skater for the Rockets who is physical and takes care of his own zone.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
if he can make a good 1st pass. and not keep passing the puck inside the Zone where the other defender falls over and then its a scoring chance for the other team im good

As long as he doesnt have brain farts in the dzone like Errorson im good

As long as he plays Physical and uses his Size im good.

I dont really care for the size as long as he uses the 2 above really well

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I don't think he'll be signed. He's only gotten to play 100 games in the last 3 years. He was probably a little bit of a project to start with, so he's behind the curve now.

If he has a solid 4th year in the WHL, I could see the Wings giving him a GR-only deal like McCollum.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00