Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Souker

Feb 10, 2020
Personally I don't get any satisfaction from bitching about him, but as someone who wants the team to improve, I don't see what's wrong with pointing out that they should move on from him.

I think it might be the best thing for his career as well. Kessel did just fine for himself after TOR traded him (well, with PIT anyway).
Don’t disagree with you.
With your pending UFAs $ freed up + if somehow you guys manage to free up Marner & Tavares, you guys can retool to become better built come next playoffs.
I’d try to resign though Domi, Bertuzzi, Eddy & Ilya for reasonable/cheaper; everyone else out.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I suspect he'll be back next year.
Same player.
Same results.
A new coach might be the best thing to know who plays where and with whom.
He is a very good setup man.
I'm not sure Matthews needs him as much as he needs Matthews.

Reactions: arso40

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I feel kinda sad with Marner because on the one hand I like him and I want to see a hometown guy help bring the Leafs success in the postseason, but on the otherhand sometimes things need to change and him nearing the end of his current contract its the best time to move him than give him another big contract. I wonder if Marner will accept the idea of getting traded though and if he does then maybe retain 50% on him if you can get a really good package for him.

The whole situation is sad. The high optimism of having drafted three elite forward talents only to waste them like this is a travesty.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
GET HIM TF OUT OF TOWN ASAP.

I’m sure we’ll hear from his usual defenders about how great his stats are but screw this loser. Watching him in person, he is even weaker and softer in person. Didn’t fight for a single puck, just tried to angle his body to cut off the pass and it would always go by him.

Guy is a stone cold bitch. He can shove his 12 million dollar demand right up his ass

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Same player.
Same results.

He might be back just because it’ll be impossible to move him without cooperation and he’s basically a distressed asset being so shockingly terrible as a playoff guy.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
You are insulting Kerfoot.

Kerfoot scored a big OT goal to complete a massive comeback en route to our only series win. Mitch Marner disappears all the time in the playoffs and is a focal point of a dismal powerplay. I've no love for Kerfoot but he was the only one besides Willy to show up offensively against Montreal while M&M disappeared.

SoVi3t

Sep 16, 2009
Same player.
Same results.
He ain't setting a single thing up but disappointment in the playoffs

I can't see him coming back the whole city loathes him. Even a new coach ain't changing the fact he has NEVER shown up. I could see us keeping him if he made an impact in the playoffs at some point. But never, in his entire career?

He needs an entirely new scene, Toronto ain't it. Watching Matthews and Nylander tear into him and him throw a hissy fit was probably one of the final nails in the coffin.

If by some magical reason he stays, we have to start benching him the moment he stops producing no more half ass measures. Only time he ever shows up is when you remind him what a worthless sack of crap he is.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
The only comparison that comes to mind is Jake Gardiner.

I've never seen a player so averse to contact in the postseason. Enough is enough already.

Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I actually believe Domi and bert could've been more effective without Marner. Marner does literally no puck retrieval, he just stands in open space waiting for players to get the puck for him. Keefe probably made a mistake not putting Matthews with them.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Same player.
Same results.

Matthews definitely does not need Marner...the Leafs' powerplay was 1 for 21 against Boston with Marner running it...Domi had more chemistry with Matthews...they both were magical in game 2...and it seems Matthews would have hit 70 goals had Domi played the last two games of the season.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Kerfoot scored a big OT goal to complete a massive comeback en route to our only series win. Mitch Marner disappears all the time in the playoffs and is a focal point of a dismal powerplay. I've no love for Kerfoot but he was the only one besides Willy to show up offensively against Montreal while M&M disappeared.
I'm convinced Marner just wanted to get out of this game uninjured so his summer wouldn't be ruined.

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
This isn't on Marner though.

You could legitimately make the argument that they just haven't done a good enough job supplementing the core
it’s absolutely on Mitch. Not only has he not once got it done when it mattered most but his contract is the reason they cannot supplement the core.

They cannot give themselves with depth because Marner fleeced the team, cried and threatened management to get every penny they could. There’s no money left because Marner demanded a top dollar contract padded with favorable features to carry him to UFA and handcuff the team.

He is the epitome of what is wrong with this group and he needs to walk not just for cap purposes but to make an example of this team and a major culture shift. They picked Nylander as their guy with that 11.5 so they need to move on from Marner now. At least Nylander shows up in the playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad