Player Discussion Mitch Marner

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
The Leaf's problem is that they have 2 $11 million dollar disappointments in Marner and Tavares. Hard to win in the playoffs with guys that are paid to be game changers but aren't.
Add missing Nylander and we are lucky to only be down 2-1. Got to agree with Evil. Bruins are not that good, although he is way off base when he says our goaltending is close to theirs and their goalies are playoff chokers.

Reactions: Metroid

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I don't even understand what he is trying to do right now.

That little circle back after he gains the zone, where he coughs up the puck is getting frustrating.

How has he not realised Bos senss two guys to him as soon as he gains entry?

Still time to take over the series. Perhaps this year it's reverse Marner.

Nothing games 1-4. Dominate 5-7.
Yup. It's so frustrating when a guy who's supposed to be so smart, does things at times that are so obviously dumb. And yeah reverse Marner, that thought has crossed my mind as well. I mean realistically it's hard to see it happening but can you imagine if it did actually happen!

Reactions: Jojalu

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
It is not Mitch's fault that Leafs overpaid him .. get over da BS .. Shanny/Dubie screwed that up not Mitch .. now lets get back to hockey .. Mitch is in pain still and likely taking injections before da game to play .. as I told you guys in Boston it will come out likely after playoffs .. Mitch never ever ever had da flat out speed to play this type of playoff game .. he is good at both ends of ice once game slows down in each end of ice .. right now his edgework is not his best due to injury .. do you pull him out of lineup???????????????????? .. no you can't as we can use his defense now .. as i stated insert him on 3rd line and let him help out on D .. all da BS on here is truly irritating of folks complaining about $$$ to results .. folks you don't understand playoff hokey is 10% faster than regular season hockey and Mitch does not have another gear to his short length stride (but it helps him in his edgework game which is best in class normally but impacted now due to injury)

Reactions: arso40

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007
this honestly feel delirious, people like you and Arzak must outnumber the fanboys by like 10-1 at this point

anyway I thought he played alright 5-on-5, and if we're looking at xG% which in game 2 proved correct everything the haters have been saying for years, then the numbers back it up? wish he would have buried that chance off the deflected knies feed in front, the only positive about him not burying it is that it seems we get a day or two off from hearing about how Marner is (OK was) a 1st team all-star, the smartest player in hockey history, one of the greatest Leafs of all-time, statues will be built in his honor and if you can't appreciate how good he is than you don't understand hockey. But whatever,
Everybody is saying he’s playing poorly. Not just people here. Guys who have coached and played in the league. Guys that know way more than you.

Love him all you want. He is expected to do more.

And it’s not score or set up more. He’s expected to work harder. Do more than what he usually does. Every other forward is doing that. Almost every shift.

Mitch is doing the opposite. He does a good thing here or there but on most of his shifts he looks scared, tired, hurt or selfish. Who knows which it is but I don’t care.

When 3rd and 4th liners are looking better than him there’s zero excuse. If he doesn’t improve he’ll be unwanted by most leafs fans and the club. The hometown boy title no longer helps

But whatever lol

Reactions: 56 Years No Cup

Leafsfanperson

Jan 27, 2024
When Marner demands a significant raise because 'he's just as good as Matthews' because his daddy says so, he can walk and Toronto can get their self respect back because they finally stood up for themselves.

It's such a shame that a year ago we probably could have traded this guy for Quinn Hughes.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
You can claim you're not calling me a hater if you like but you're not fooling me one bit. It's not like I've forgotten everything you've ever posted on the subject and all I've ever tried to do is be objective.

I'm not a fan of the term fanboy and I'm pretty sure I've never used before but after begin called a hater for no reason literally hundreds of times, I eventually sank to your level. As soon as y'all stop using the term hater, I'll stop using the term fanboy, up to you.

As far as "everything the haters have been saying for years", I wasn't going to say anything because I'm not the grammar police and since it was difficult to understand what you're even trying to say here I decided to just ignore it. But if you want to clarify, you go right ahead. I haven't seen any xG% numbers for starters. I also don't put much stock into those numbers as IMO sometimes they reflect reality, and sometimes they don't. And what numbers back what up? Again, I'm not the grammar police but if you look at this "sentence" objectively, you will perhaps understand that I can only guess what you're trying to say here.

anyway I thought he played alright 5-on-5, and if we're looking at xG% which in game 2 proved correct everything the haters have been saying for years, then the numbers back it up?

For the record, I thought Marner played alright 5-on-5 as well, just alright. He looked really good at times, but then there were other times where he looked like he was trying to be too fancy/cute and as many people have said, I think he really needs to simplify his game because these cute plays he likes to make have a much lower success rate in the playoffs then in the regular season. For a player who's the smartest ever according to some people here he still does dumb things far too often. I hope he has a great game Saturday because this thing is far from over and while TBH I don't give a shit about Marner one way or the other, I'm a Maple Leaf fan and as long as he's playing for us, I'll be cheering him on just like all our other players.
He was at like 5% xG 5v5 in game 2 after 2 periods. there ws a tweet about it, it was widely shared. beyond the numbers there was the bailout along the boards in the corner, the long shots on the PP, the PK reads, the Pastrnak goal. Idk I think saying that these things affirmed the opinions of the people who hate this guy is a pretty straightforward sentence.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
Everybody is saying he’s playing poorly. Not just people here. Guys who have coached and played in the league. Guys that know way more than you.
not disputing this, and I have said as much. you don't have to hate him to say he's played poorly (I think he's been ok outside game 2). but I do think at least a plurality of the fanbase hates him, and maybe only fanboys think that that is unjustified, but I've been on this board for approaching 20 years and I never saw a player's dad mentioned so much, how many people could even give you the name of another Leafs player's dad (outside of the NHL players' kids).

but whatever lol

Reactions: ACC1224

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Simpson says that he's looking like he's playing through an injury as his skating doesn't look the same.

I think he had a high ankle sprain when he missed those 3 weeks and probably came back too early.

Reactions: ACC1224

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
It is not Mitch's fault that Leafs overpaid him .. get over da BS .. Shanny/Dubie screwed that up not Mitch .. now lets get back to hockey .. Mitch is in pain still and likely taking injections before da game to play .. as I told you guys in Boston it will come out likely after playoffs .. Mitch never ever ever had da flat out speed to play this type of playoff game .. he is good at both ends of ice once game slows down in each end of ice .. right now his edgework is not his best due to injury .. do you pull him out of lineup???????????????????? .. no you can't as we can use his defense now .. as i stated insert him on 3rd line and let him help out on D .. all da BS on here is truly irritating of folks complaining about $$$ to results .. folks you don't understand playoff hokey is 10% faster than regular season hockey and Mitch does not have another gear to his short length stride (but it helps him in his edgework game which is best in class normally but impacted now due to injury)
Did Pastrnak or Kucherov ever hold out until the end of training camp while simultaneously threatening to sign an offer sheet to get the maximum amount of money possible?

Hmm.. Good ole Canadian boy. Came from money and demanded the most money possible from his hometown team. Pasta grew up poor and took a discount because the money was life changing either way for him, look it up. Wish we had real, respectable players like that.

Simpson says that he's looking like he's playing through an injury as his skating doesn't look the same.

I think he had a high ankle sprain when he missed those 3 weeks and probably came back too early.
Looks like he's looked in every playoff game I've ever seen him play. Must always be injured. Came down with cabin fever just in time for the good weather.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
-We need a better goalie
-We have to draft one
-why haven't we?
-Traded all our picks away
-Why?
-Had to overpay in trades for retention and we thought our guys were good enough
-Sign someone in free agency?
-No cap space
-Can we trade one of our four 11M guys?
-No, and they are actually 12-13M guys now
-We need better defense
Repeat

Reactions: ToneDog

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
He was at like 5% xG 5v5 in game 2 after 2 periods. there ws a tweet about it, it was widely shared. beyond the numbers there was the bailout along the boards in the corner, the long shots on the PP, the PK reads, the Pastrnak goal. Idk I think saying that these things affirmed the opinions of the people who hate this guy is a pretty straightforward sentence.
You think that everyone who offers criticism hates him? Why would you think that?

not disputing this, and I have said as much. you don't have to hate him to say he's played poorly (I think he's been ok outside game 2). but I do think at least a plurality of the fanbase hates him, and maybe only fanboys think that that is unjustified, but I've been on this board for approaching 20 years and I never saw a player's dad mentioned so much, how many people could even give you the name of another Leafs player's dad (outside of the NHL players' kids).

but whatever lol
His dad was a massive part of Marner's contract negotiations, and that contract is one the most (if not the most) contentious contracts in Maple Leaf history. When you consider that history, is it really surprising that he gets mentioned more than any other dads?

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
Did Pastrnak or Kucherov ever hold out until the end of training camp while simultaneously threatening to sign an offer sheet to get the maximum amount of money possible?

Hmm.. Good ole Canadian boy. Came from money and demanded the most money possible from his hometown team. Pasta grew up poor and took a discount because the money was life changing either way for him, look it up. Wish we had real, respectable players like that.
have to think that most North American players "came from money"

Reactions: BraveCanadian

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
When Marner demands a significant raise because 'he's just as good as Matthews' because his daddy says so, he can walk and Toronto can get their self respect back because they finally stood up for themselves.

It's such a shame that a year ago we probably could have traded this guy for Quinn Hughes.
I've even seen some people say he's better than Matthews which to me is a joke. To be fair, I don't think Matthews had a great game last night either but yeah, I can't imagine even one GM taking Marner over Matthews.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I don't even understand what he is trying to do right now.

That little circle back after he gains the zone, where he coughs up the puck is getting frustrating.

How has he not realised Bos senss two guys to him as soon as he gains entry?

Still time to take over the series. Perhaps this year it's reverse Marner.

Nothing games 1-4. Dominate 5-7.
-Gain zone
-Circle back
-Make ridiculously low% pass into traffic
-Turn puck over
-rinse and repeat

Has been Marner so far this whole series. He just cannot get over the fact that his overcomplicated fancy stuff has zero carry over to the playoffs. Just f*** off with it and play simple already.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
You think that everyone who offers criticism hates him? Why would you think that?
no I don't and this does not follow at all from what I said. I said his game 2 performance confirmed the things that his worst critics have been saying for years. and even his defenders/admirers/fanboys must have been able to see it. jeez louise

I've even seen some people say he's better than Matthews which to me is a joke.
did his dad ever say it?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
have to think that most North American players "came from money"
Marner didn't come from money.

if you have to make stupid shit up it means you have nothing of value to add.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
no I don't and this does not follow at all from what I said. I said his game 2 performance confirmed the things that his worst critics have been saying for years. and even his defenders/admirers/fanboys must have been able to see it. jeez louise

did his dad ever say it?
But you didn't say critics, you said haters.

As far as his dad goes, how would I know and why would I care?

Marner didn't come from money.
How much do you think his family has spent on Marner playing hockey over the years? It's been said here that the total comes to many hundreds of thousands of dollars and maybe that's not money to you, but to a lot of people it is.

There are a ton of families who can maybe afford to have their kid play soccer, but not hockey and to them, anyone who can afford hockey "comes from money". It's all relative.

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
Another playoff game, another stinker, hurt or not.

He's the 3rd best player on his own line, never mind the team. Outplayed by a guy who is "washed up" and another one is a rookie.

I would make the excuse of an injury, but he's only been good in one playoff round in his whole career.

It makes no sense to bring him back.

Reactions: 56 Years No Cup

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
But you didn't say critics, you said haters.
yeah I did, and you took it v personally, but I don't think it changes the meaning at all! game 2 was a feast for the people who hate this guy, search his name on twitter for a taste, and I said that the way he played backed up what these people have been saying for years.

As far as his dad goes, how would I know and why would I care?
well given he was so central to the contract negotiation maybe people remember him saying such a thing. but fair enough you didn't put it in quotes, someone else did.

How much do you think his family has spent on Marner playing hockey over the years? It's been said here that the total comes to many hundreds of thousands of dollars and maybe that's not money to you, but to a lot of people it is
this would apply to almost every NA player in the league right now

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
He looked a little more involved last night and getting the assist was good to see.

Hopefully it was the start of some better hockey in the near future. Need Marner to be big if we are to do any damage.

Reactions: leafs in five

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad