Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
I think people can confuse being hesitant for being scared. I wouldn’t expect much different, he’s obviously not over his ankle injury. It’ll take the off season to get back to normal.
I see it different. He used all his edges just carrying the puck up ice, rather than skate fast.
I saw him play almost every shift between the face off circles, never lower in either end and never closer to the boards.
He is super skilled puck handler, great skater, has in his junior career been a playoff leader but that part of his game has not translated. He appears not to be able or willing to extend himself to playoff level in the NHL.
I have used the word coward, rather poorly, because he is not a coward, but certainly has not performed. AM has figured it out. You can see it.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Same here. He needs a multi-point game in Toronto because he's been trash to start this series. Don't bash the critics, Marner's giving them all the ammo they need, it's on him to change the narrative.

If he gets a few secondary assists touching the puck on a zone entry or making a 5 foot uncontested pass to a D I don’t think it really changes anything. He could have 0 points and win the entire city over in one shift if he plays with some balls.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
I'm getting ahead of myself here, but Domi could very well end up being the reason Treliving might not cave in to Marner's contract demands.
I don't think you are my friend. When you actually, finally, get to see AM play with a half decent player and he does just as well as he did with the "Superstar" MM....that leads you to think wonderful things about what you could do with all that cap space.

Even if you let him go as a UFA...you still get his cap hit back and are better off than re-signing him at more than what Willy makes. If MM thinks a contending team is going to pay him a boatload...he is in for a surprise. Only a team on the fringes that won't likely make the playoffs will pay him big $$$ for the fans to be entertained during the season.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I don't think you are my friend. When you actually, finally, get to see AM play with a half decent player and he does just as well as he did with the "Superstar" MM....that leads you to think wonderful things about what you could do with all that cap space.

Even if you let him go as a UFA...you still get his cap hit back and are better off than re-signing him at more than what Willy makes. If MM thinks a contending team is going to pay him a boatload...he is in for a surprise. Only a team on the fringes that won't likely make the playoffs will pay him big $$$ for the fans to be entertained during the season.

I think it’s either Washington or Pitts, he can feed Ovi/Crosby for their respective legacy number chases, put butts in seats while they rebuild on the fly, and is young enough to stick around as a vet on their new post-Ovi/Sid cores or get sold at ~31-32 years old for a haul.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
I think it’s either Washington or Pitts, he can feed Ovi/Crosby for their respective legacy number chases, put butts in seats while they rebuild on the fly, and is young enough to stick around as a vet on their new post-Ovi/Sid cores or get sold at ~31-32 years old for a haul.
I would love for it to be Pittsburgh and for Dubas to overpay to bring his buddy there....man...that would be icing on the cake.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I think people can confuse being hesitant for being scared. I wouldn’t expect much different, he’s obviously not over his ankle injury. It’ll take the off season to get back to normal.
.. does someone wanna post the video catching Marner doing this very same thing in one of the past series? It's been floating around on the world wide web for some time.

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
It’s only 2 games… how Mitch goes in these playoffs will affect his future contract.

Surely he knows that… I’m not convinced we don’t see Mitch play some great playoff hockey still.

I seriously like our chances if Sammy gets hot and Nylander comes back strong.

Reactions: authentic

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
He won't stay quiet for too long and he'll make an impact eventually. I hope it isn't too late when he does, but he's a premier player. He'll get going soon. I get the frustration but he'll be ok.
i have been his fan, but really, he is a huge disappointment.
Every other teams mega paid star is huge in every game.
Mitch isn't.
I will be glad to dump him for cap space, and hire 2 good d-men instead.
There is something wrong with him.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
i have been his fan, but really, he is a huge disappointment.
Every other teams mega paid star is huge in every game.
Mitch isn't.
I will be glad to dump him for cap space, and hire 2 good d-men instead.
There is something wrong with him.

High ankle sprains are rough and his pace is fairly off for sure. But he's always bounced back in his career when he goes through tough stretches. I'd give him a chance to shake it off and we can see where we're at whenever the Leafs flame out.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
I think people are seeing what they want to see.

At least he's not trying to do way too much when he's struggling offensively. I didn't notice any horrible turnovers from trying to find something that isn't there.
I want to see an elite player producing. I am a big fan.
But I see a less effective player than Ryan Reeves.
Ready to let him go next year for cap space if we can't trade him ie wont let us.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I see it different. He used all his edges just carrying the puck up ice, rather than skate fast.
I saw him play almost every shift between the face off circles, never lower in either end and never closer to the boards.
He is super skilled puck handler, great skater, has in his junior career been a playoff leader but that part of his game has not translated. He appears not to be able or willing to extend himself to playoff level in the NHL.
I have used the word coward, rather poorly, because he is not a coward, but certainly has not performed. AM has figured it out. You can see it.
I've seen him finish a few hits... if you are playing injured and trying to avoid being hit, your also not finishing hits either.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
well, If you are hesistant on something, that’s mean you are scare of what would happen if it doesnt go your way.
But no point discussing on that.

I do agree that MM is not right as there is a difference between him playing bad and playing hurt and he looks to be playing hurt more than playing bad.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Disclaimer - I was drinking a fair bit last night so anyone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I had a peek at the GDT and there were a TON of people yelling at Marner for this "blown coverage". IMHO, this is complete nonsense as Marner's man was the Dman at the left point, not Pasta. Marner did his job and his share of blame on that goal is 0%.

This is Dzone_coverage.101, I learned this when I was about 10 years old and I don't think these fundamentals of Dzone coverage have changed in the last 50 years.
You might be right as I'm certainly not an X's and O's person in the very least but i saw Mitch getting to late as the play developed. Like blowing his coverage was the wrong way to put it agreed now that I've watched it back as his man was the guy on the point. But if we are saying that at least he neutralized pastas line i say bs because either for 11m your scoring or you've got selke level reads and make that read quicker and get your stock in there. We can't have absolutely nothing from Mitch.

I would love for it to be Pittsburgh and for Dubas to overpay to bring his buddy there....man...that would be icing on the cake.
Pitts got nothing I'd want except Sid lmao.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
2024 season, Marner vs others on various lines 5v5:

Bertuzzi Matthews Domi
xgf/60 4.23
Xga/60 2.2

Bertuzzi Matthews Marner
xgf/60 3.65
Xga/60 1.63

Knies Matthews Nylander
xgf/60 3.72
Xga/60 2.29

Knies Matthews Marner
xgf/60 3.16
Xga/60 2.23

Bertuzzi Tavares Nylander
xgf/60 3.37
Xga/60 2.59

Bertuzzi Tavares Marner
xgf/60 2.44
Xga/60 2.73
From those numbers it looks like Tavares defensively and Marner offensively are the weaker spots.

Reactions: Antropovsky

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Nylander will come back to early and play worse then Marner, and suddenly Marner will look better. So no worries!:D

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I was thinking about how to get Mitch going and if I was Keefe I'd keep him with JT for the bulk of the minutes because honestly JT needs Marner defensively, it could get really ugly for JT without Marner to lean on

But I would try getting him out there every so often with Holmberg and Robertson, it would give Mitch more space to create and Robertson is a finisher

Marner is to good to stay in this funk but I do think giving him some extra offensive opportunities would be a sound strategy to get him going again

Reactions: ACC1224

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I was thinking about how to get Mitch going and if I was Keefe I'd keep him with JT for the bulk of the minutes because honestly JT needs Marner defensively, it could get really ugly for JT without Marner to lean on

But I would try getting him out there every so often with Holmberg and Robertson, it would give Mitch more space to create and Robertson is a finisher

Marner is to good to stay in this funk but I do think giving him some extra offensive opportunities would be a sound strategy to get him going again
The other 3 lines are going great, no way you break that up yet. This is a Mitch problem, Sheldon doesn't need to get him going, Mitch need to get Mitch going.

Mitch wants star money, he better find a way to give star performances.

I'd scratch Knies and replace him with Willy. That whole line need minutes reduction. Play the other 3 lines more until this line starts producing.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I would take a flight to Panama for
He won't stay quiet for too long and he'll make an impact eventually. I hope it isn't too late when he does, but he's a premier player. He'll get going soon. I get the frustration but he'll be ok.
Team is more likely to win a Marathon with studs like Marner and Nylander on the team. The rebuilders here should take a hike if the team gets into the conference final. There won't be much for you to cheer about. A long history of this team making bad trades and draft picks makes me hope nothing changes. Waiting years for the team to play post season did that to me. To some it's become a death cult of pessimism.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
well, If you are hesistant on something, that’s mean you are scare of what would happen if it doesnt go your way.

I do agree that MM is not right as there is a difference between him playing bad and playing hurt and he looks to be playing hurt more than playing bad.
I doubt he comes back with 7 games left in the season if he’s not healthy. The lengths people go to absolve him of blame is ridiculous. The comments from Keefe are embarrassing, if they didn’t mention the name I would have thought they were taking about a 4th liner making minimum salary.

He needs to be better

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Yes, 'scared' can have different meanings. I agree with your interpretation of it not that he's terrified like some are making it out to be.
He's 'hesitant' because he's not able to play freely because of his injury.

Hopefully we see a better player tonight.

Reactions: Gabriel426

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Kyper who is showing Marner love - Tavares is a shooter/deflector but his passing is MEH, Knies is gonna crash and bang

5v5 Tavares and Knies cannot get Marner the puck and Marner is too small and not strong enough to get the puck himself. Marner also getting less 5v5 playing time because he is #1 PK. Marner must get his points on the PP.

Sounds like Mitch needs Matty.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Kyper who is showing Marner love - Tavares is a shooter/deflector but his passing is MEH, Knies is gonna crash and bang

5v5 Tavares and Knies cannot get Marner the puck and Marner is too small and not strong enough to get the puck himself. Marner also getting less 5v5 playing time because he is #1 PK. Marner must get his points on the PP.

Sounds like Mitch needs Matty.
Playoffs has ebbs and flows. Yesterday's hero is tomorrow's zero. I wouldn't worry too much and hope that all the players find their moment at some point.

Reactions: Mr_Fun

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad