Player Discussion Mitch Marner

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Sorry, I've been critical of him in several posts, so what excuses am I making? He has to do more is an excuse? He needs to be more dynamic is an excuse? He needs to get out of his own head is an excuse? I'm just separating reality from the pile on bullshit. He does care, he does have heart, he does work out in the off season, he's allowed to have a vacation and it isn't his fault Dubas over paid him. The mob mentality is unseemly, I'm here for honest critique. Mitch needs to be better.

Embarrassing spin of what I've said. i' I called out your bs easy matchup Willie comparison, nobody is absolving the guy. I'm out.
I meant you like figuratively not as in you darkknight.

I'm saying this guys gets so much slack from people who actually matter in the org like Keefe Dubas before him Shanahan etc like this dude can't be paid 11m and then be a defensive player not expected to be well over ppg.

In terms of you specifically i think him neutralizing pasta 5v5 isn't enough for his paycheck.

And he didn't even do that, he blew his coverage on that pasta goal and was a few seconds too late which resulted in that one timer.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Watched the replays at lunch today. He was on for both goals against and missed key assignments. Didn't realize. I'm not a hater but it has to be said.

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
is there a place to re-watch the game so i can verify some of these hot takes?

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
-2 and 0 points in 2 games is not great

We are going to win the series if he starts producing

Bruins are going to make a gameplan around shutting down Auston and Mitch does need to actually produce offense. Especially if he wants to be the 2nd highest paid player in nhl

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

I'm saying this guys gets so much slack from people who actually matter in the org like Keefe Dubas before him Shanahan etc like this dude can't be paid 11m and then be a defensive player not expected to be well over ppg.

In terms of you specifically i think him neutralizing pasta 5v5 isn't enough for his paycheck.

And he didn't even do that, he blew his coverage on that pasta goal and was a few seconds too late which resulted in that one timer.
You're right it ain't and I've said so as well.

Reactions: ER89

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Max Domi has 6 shots in high danger areas in just 2 post season games.

Mitch Marner had a total of 5 high danger shots in all 11 playoff games last year.
2023 playoffs:

Change in shot location season vs playoffs by %:

Marner
High danger shots: -56%
Medium danger shots: +70%
Long-range shots: +40%

Clearly Marner operated further from the net in the 2023 playoffs than the season.

Matthews:

High danger shots: -15%
Medium danger shots: +15%
Long-range shots: +3%

Matthews shot % changed significantly less.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Who are these people you speak of? Not sure I've ever seen that said on these boards.

Thank you for asking. Here’s a link.

Reactions: Antropovsky

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He seemed as agile as ever when he danced away from Mcavoy to avoid contact.

Nailed it IMO. This is exactly what the last 8 years have looked like. I don't even mind when it works for the team but when it doesn't, it's a problem. And it's been mostly working during the regular season and mostly not working in the playoffs (after the first 4 games) and yeah, that's a big problem.

Hopefully we see a new and improved Marner tomorrow night.

Heartless bastards indeed. How could they?

When The Athletic is singing the virtues of Bertuzzi and Domi…

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Disclaimer - I was drinking a fair bit last night so anyone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I had a peek at the GDT and there were a TON of people yelling at Marner for this "blown coverage". IMHO, this is complete nonsense as Marner's man was the Dman at the left point, not Pasta. Marner did his job and his share of blame on that goal is 0%.

This is Dzone_coverage.101, I learned this when I was about 10 years old and I don't think these fundamentals of Dzone coverage have changed in the last 50 years.

Reactions: BraveCanadian

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Thank you for asking. Here’s a link.

I'm not referring to a money discussion, I'm referring to your quote about people saying he is head and shoulders above Pastrnak.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
When The Athletic is singing the virtues of Bertuzzi and Domi…
To be fair, I'm not a suscriber and while I'm sure they have a lot of good stuff, I know from what some people have shared here that they have a lot of crap as well so I wouldn't take anything they print as gospel truth.

mapleleafs34

Apr 7, 2011
I love how Keefe would sprinkle Marner with Matthews a couple shifts last night. Like 1-2 shifts a period to tilt the ice. Finally he uses his brain.

Marner has definitely been bad. But we got a long series so lets see what happens.

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
I love how Keefe would sprinkle Marner with Matthews a couple shifts last night. Like 1-2 shifts a period to tilt the ice. Finally he uses his brain.

Marner has definitely been bad. But we got a long series so lets see what happens.
Honestly that top line was buzzing not sure why he would sit domi it just sends a bad message. I wonder what Tie thinks

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt because he recently came back after a fairly lengthy absence.

That being said, he should be rounding into form by now, so I hope he makes an impact next game.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm not referring to a money discussion, I'm referring to your quote about people saying he is head and shoulders above Pastrnak.

If you’re genuinely looking for that material, you can read the thread and also find goodies where Marner’s superiority to Rantanen, Point and Aho is also established and the notion that they’re similar quality players was hotly contested.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
With 1 year left on his deal, this postseason is big for Marner to prove his detractors about his playoff performance wrong

Unfortunately that late season injury has set up off his normal game and that’s being magnified in games 1 and 2.

That being said he doesn’t deserve any benefits of the doubt even if he was healthy.

I don’t see the need to character assassinate the guy

Reactions: ACC1224

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
When you make the playoffs 8 straight years and only get to the second round once, you should know what works and what doesn’t by now.

This guy has made 0 adjustments in his game or mentality to become a playoff player. He will never take a hit to make a play. The fly by yesterday was embarrassing.

When you demanded to be one of the highest paid wingers in the league as a RFA, this is unacceptable.

I believe it all starts with how hard you train and work in the off season. This guy doesn’t put the work in which is why he’s always a slow starter.

Reactions: 56 Years No Cup

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Sorry ACC, I like you but you can't have it both ways. You can't rip on Nylander and make princess type jokes with him saying he pulls the chute etc but when Marner is constantly negated physically and actively avoids the middle of the ice or the corners, takes a puck over the glass penalty under pressure etc. himself he gets a pass.

I can't remember the last time Marner even took a shot between the circles in the playoffs let alone score a goal from there. We've seen Willy with plenty of those.

None of the Tampa guys are particularly big either. Kucherov and Point are both only 5'10-5'11, but they play fearlessly.
Nylander had 14 high danger shots in last years playoffs. Marner 5.

3 of Nylanders high danger shots were in the zone closest to the goalie. 0 of Marners high danger shots were in the zone closest to the goalie.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
With 1 year left on his deal, this postseason is big for Marner to prove his detractors about his playoff performance wrong

Unfortunately that late season injury has set up off his normal game and that’s being magnified in games 1 and 2.

That being said he doesn’t deserve any benefits of the doubt even if he was healthy.

But this is his normal playoff game. No different than his last 7 playoffs, especially since his co tract. I can show you articles from the last playoffs indicating the same things about Marners game.

Marner missed 12 games and played the final 7 games of the season. It's not like he was gone for significant time like Kucherov and Stone and other players in past playoffs.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007

There is no evidence of any ongoing injury. It's total speculation made by Marner Supporters to excuse his lackluster play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad