Player Discussion Mitch Marner

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
More likely he's not scared and people just see what they want to see.
He had two hits and won a tough puck on the boards to seal the win. He isn't scared, but he's not decisive enough offensively and reacts poorly to space being taken away. He is competing hard on the wall for the most part, all this stuff about heart and guts, it's pure garbage. He's a smallish player, who needs to find soft spots and confront the defence not curl to the margins to make plays. We need more, but it isn't desire, people lose me with that stuff. Mentally he has to push though, and really we only need one big game from him to win a series.

Reactions: 67leafs and ACC1224

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
More likely he's not scared and people just see what they want to see.
Sorry ACC, I like you but you can't have it both ways. You can't rip on Nylander and make princess type jokes with him saying he pulls the chute etc but when Marner is constantly negated physically and actively avoids the middle of the ice or the corners, takes a puck over the glass penalty under pressure etc. himself he gets a pass.

I can't remember the last time Marner even took a shot between the circles in the playoffs let alone score a goal from there. We've seen Willy with plenty of those.

I look at the hell Brad Marchand is willing to go through to make a play or compete vs much larger players who actively want to hurt him vs Marner hockey. Marchand is a rat but also a decade older than Marner and probably a good few inches shorter.
None of the Tampa guys are particularly big either. Kucherov and Point are both only 5'10-5'11, but they play fearlessly.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
We all know the player Mitch can be. We all have PTSD of losing good players and having them go on to be winners elsewhere after being scapegoated. I am sure many people think Marner could be Kadri on steroids and lead another franchise to even a potential dynasty if we give up on him (and is certainly why Shanny has not moved anyone).

But with all of that said, that is hockey and he needs to be the guy who goes. This team in the postseason is better with Bertuzzi and Domi and 11M of cap space than Marner, league min players, and a small amount of cap space.

Tavares deal is done after next season. Leafs could potentially have Matthews and Nylander locked up as their elite forward talent and 22M of cap space + assets returns in Marner trade to add some good players all over the lineup and retain players we developed. No more Hyman situations.

I keep waiting to see Memorial cup MVP Marner, but he is going to be 27 in a week and a half and I am losing hope he ever figures it out.

Best bet might be to sell him to a team like the Blue Jackets or BlackHawks where they see the appeal of a 100 point winger to play with their young center prospects and just want to make the playoffs. Can likely get a good roster player back, short term cap dump, and solid futures (prospects and picks) which we can use to address needs.

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
Went out of his way to throw a ton of praise on Mitch, despite getting a question about the Matthews line.

"I thought Mitch was all over the game too. Making plays offensively for us at different times. Great defensive play. He's playing almost every shift against Pastrnak and doing a really good job helping us there and on the penalty kill".
That’s Keefe trying to get him going and trying to deflect attention away. Most Toronto media will believe what he said.

Reactions: Tak7 and arso40

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Sorry ACC, I like you but you can't have it both ways. You can't rip on Nylander and make princess type jokes with him saying he pulls the chute etc but when Marner is constantly negated physically and actively avoids the middle of the ice or the corners, takes a puck over the glass penalty under pressure etc. himself he gets a pass.

I can't remember the last time Marner even took a shot between the circles in the playoffs let alone score a goal from there. We've seen Willy with plenty of those.

None of the Tampa guys are particularly big either. Kucherov and Point are both only 5'10-5'11, but they play fearlessly.
I don't think I've ever said Nylander was scared, he can be lazy and disinterested.

• Wow
Reactions: arso40

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
He had two hits and won a tough puck on the boards to seal the win. He isn't scared, but he's not decisive enough offensively and reacts poorly to space being taken away. He is competing hard on the wall for the most part, all this stuff about heart and guts, it's pure garbage. He's a smallish player, who needs to find soft spots and confront the defence not curl to the margins to make plays. We need more, but it isn't desire, people lose me with that stuff. Mentally he has to push though, and really we only need one big game from him to win a series.
I'm sorry you don't get to be a mental midget command 13 pct of the cap and disappear in the playoffs and have excuses made for you. Like at some point either put up or shut up. Now mind you the leafs management is to blame as well continuing to reward him with big deals when he's been not worth his contract in the playoffs.

11 m and fat zero in the scoresheet and hasn't driven 5v5 play.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
exactly, if marner line just stay even at 5v5 vs pasta line

-matthews line still continu to outplayed marchand line
-nylander line ( when he will be back) outplayed gerkie line
-leafs 4th outplayed maroon line

whats will happen? leafs dominating boston at 5v5 finishing first 2 game with 58 scoring chance vs 29 and 25 high danger chance vs 13 at 5v5.

just stop taking bad penalty and you forcing Boston to beat you with their depht ( their #1 weakness). Thats where leafs advantage is.

Not singling you out, but it’s ironic to me when the people like to make the claim that Marner is head and shoulders better than Pastrnak, will rightfully make more money yada yada… But when push comes to shove on the ice, the real talk and hope is the Marner line just stays even 5 on 5 with Pasta’s line.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm sorry you don't get to be a mental midget command 13 pct of the cap and disappear in the playoffs and have excuses made for you. Like at some point either put up or shut up. Now mind you the leafs management is to blame as well continuing to reward him with big deals when he's been not worth his contract in the playoffs.

It often feels like there’s a separate standard for Marner than any other player. He’s a little slight in terms of build but 6’0” and not remarkably small in the game of hockey, and certainly no Johnny Gaudreau.

But compare him physically to what Domi and Bertuzzi are and it’s like he’s got the gifted little brother standard where he doesn’t need to do any of the dirty work. He’s so limited and he doesn’t even bring the effective skill and production. It would be a different story if he were Pavel Datsyuk and making a massive impact every game.

That’s the frustration.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
He’s matching up against Pasta, literally the hardest defensive gig?
Would have had that same gig on matthews line last year or year before if they played doesn't change the fact that the line did nothing at 5 on 5 a Stat the marner boys love to hammer home for willy

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Not singling you out, but it’s ironic to me when the people like to make the claim that Marner is head and shoulders better than Pastrnak, will rightfully make more money yada yada… But when push comes to shove on the ice, the real talk and hope is the Marner line just stays even 5 on 5 with Pasta’s line.
It's bizarre that we're paying him 11M to basically be playoff Rob Niedermayer and he can't even seem to do that properly at times.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Would have had that same gig on matthews line last year or year before if they played doesn't change the fact that the line did nothing at 5 on 5 a Stat the marner boys love to hammer home for willy
Willie doesnt match up defensively, he never gets that tough assignment so I don't know why you're making a comparison there. I'm criticizing Mitch too here, but your point is a tortured one, he's in tough, just as tough as the first line matchup wise. The only caveat, he isn't facing the shutdown D pair, but it's offset defending their most dynamic forward.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Who are these people you speak of? Not sure I've ever seen that said on these boards.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
The Athletic now dunking on ol' Mitchy...heartless bastards

1000012092.jpg

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017

Not gunna win shit in the playoffs when your 11m player, soon to be more than that becomes way worse in crunch time.

Where the fck was he going? I actually hate him. Domi is what we all want mitch to be. But marner is just scared. It's embarrassing.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Willie doesnt match up defensively, he never gets that tough assignment so I don't know why you're making a comparison there. I'm criticizing Mitch too here, but your point is a tortured one, he's in tough, just as tough as the first line matchup wise. The only caveat, he isn't facing the shutdown D pair, but it's offset defending their most dynamic forward.
My friend he's doing nothing on that second line you can dress it anyway you like Boston is seeking that matchup and winning it handsomely no matter how you try to spin it as long as you watch the game you'll see that marner is doing nothing and getting a pass he looks nervous in a bad way

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

Sorry, I've been critical of him in several posts, so what excuses am I making? He has to do more is an excuse? He needs to be more dynamic is an excuse? He needs to get out of his own head is an excuse? I'm just separating reality from the pile on bullshit. He does care, he does have heart, he does work out in the off season, he's allowed to have a vacation and it isn't his fault Dubas over paid him. The mob mentality is unseemly, I'm here for honest critique. Mitch needs to be better.

My friend he's doing nothing on that second line you can dress it anyway you like Boston is seeking that matchup and winning it handsomely no matter how you try to spin it as long as you watch the game you'll see that marner is doing nothing and getting a pass he looks nervous in a bad way
Embarrassing spin of what I've said. i' I called out your bs easy matchup Willie comparison, nobody is absolving the guy. I'm out.

• Haha

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Sorry, I've been critical of him in several posts, so what excuses am I making? He has to do more is an excuse? He needs to be more dynamic is an excuse? He needs to get out of his own head is an excuse? I'm just separating reality from the pile on bullshit. He does care, he does have heart, he does work out in the off season, he's allowed to have a vacation and it isn't his fault Dubas over paid him. The mob mentality is unseemly, I'm here for honest critique. Mitch needs to be better.
Marner honestly should be more built now he's in what year 7 -8?

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
This talk is great after a win.
I think Mitch has a good enough ego to take some of these professional takes (not ours) and raise his game another level.

This, this is on Keefe and co. To challenge marner - even after a win. This would be a great time to address it behind closed doors in a way for him to “stick it to all of us”

Get it Mitch. Make us rethink these comments.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Looks like Quartexx Management has called the Marner Defense Team to the rescue. LOL at the invention of an injury. Will you stop at nothing?

• Haha

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Marner is well short of 100%. It's so obvious. His game relies so much on mobility, and when he is able to move, his mind works faster than most on the ice. Without that mobility, he really struggles. Noticed that a lot of offensive plays died on his stick last night because he just wasn't sharp.

Thought it was really telling that Keefe said what he said about Marner post-game.
He seemed as agile as ever when he danced away from Mcavoy to avoid contact.
It often feels like there’s a separate standard for Marner than any other player. He’s a little slight in terms of build but 6’0” and not remarkably small in the game of hockey, and certainly no Johnny Gaudreau.

But compare him physically to what Domi and Bertuzzi are and it’s like he’s got the gifted little brother standard where he doesn’t need to do any of the dirty work. He’s so limited and he doesn’t even bring the effective skill and production. It would be a different story if he were Pavel Datsyuk and making a massive impact every game.

That’s the frustration.
Nailed it IMO. This is exactly what the last 8 years have looked like. I don't even mind when it works for the team but when it doesn't, it's a problem. And it's been mostly working during the regular season and mostly not working in the playoffs (after the first 4 games) and yeah, that's a big problem.

Hopefully we see a new and improved Marner tomorrow night.

The Athletic now dunking on ol' Mitchy...heartless bastards

View attachment 858279
Heartless bastards indeed. How could they?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad