Player Discussion Mitch Marner

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
If he asks for any payraise you tell him to waive the nmc.

IMHO he needs to take a pay cut to 9.5 but that will never happen. Take the same deal you have for 8 or gtfo to Columbus because no one serious about hockey is paying him

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

Not gunna win shit in the playoffs when your 11m player, soon to be more than that becomes way worse in crunch time.

I haven't liked his game through 2 games but I don't see the problem with this one at all.

He's clearly trying to gain the inside edge and try to stop the puck from getting out. It's not like he's doing this in our zone. He's doing it in the Bruins zone to try and get that puck.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I haven't liked his game through 2 games but I don't see the problem with this one at all.

He's clearly trying to gain the inside edge and try to stop the puck from getting out. It's not like he's doing this in our zone. He's doing it in the Bruins zone to try and get that puck.
Many players do that exact play.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
the problem is he does it all the time and avoids contact. If say Gilmour did it one play or Clark did it one play you can give them a pass as they took hits to make plays. Marner refuses to take a hit to make a play.

Those types of players especially at his salary kill a team and in the dressing room the grinders and guys who want to win resent a guy like that

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin

1713882719905.png

How does he not have inside position right there? He can just bump into McAvoy and get the puck but instead he shoulder checks, sees McAvoy and decides to bail and jump around him.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

Yeah, I'd rather Marner play better with his stick than try to be physical when that's not his game.

View attachment 858200

How does he not have inside position right there? He can just bump into McAvoy and get the puck but instead he shoulder checks, sees McAvoy and decides to bail and jump around him.
The puck is clearly rolling there and not flat. The best play he had in that corner was to either try and nudge it back to the D by fully extending his stick and hope it goes past McAvoy's skate/stick or do what he did.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

Not gunna win shit in the playoffs when your 11m player, soon to be more than that becomes way worse in crunch time.

"Make it look like you're competing" I've been saying this about Marner for years now. When it comes to the physical and dirty area, Marner avoids them but "acts like he is competing". Interesting to see a former player say the same.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Yeah, I'd rather Marner play better with his stick than try to be physical when that's not his game.

The puck is clearly rolling there and not flat. The best play he had in that corner was to either try and nudge it back to the D by fully extending his stick and hope it goes past McAvoy's skate/stick or do what he did.

Yeah, no reason to take a hit if you can come away with the puck.
marner isn't a big guy, so has to pick his spots.
As long as all players get the same credit, and it isn't "soft" for player X but "smart" for player Y.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
"Make it look like you're competing" I've been saying this about Marner for years now. When it comes to the physical and dirty area, Marner avoids them but "acts like he is competing". Interesting to see a former player say the same.
Completely disagree. He could have easily gotten to the puck first and protected it along the boards until support came. Instead he went around him and the bruins had an easy exit.

Reactions: arso40

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Completely disagree. He could have easily gotten to the puck first and protected it along the boards until support came. Instead he went around him and the bruins had an easy exit.

He didn't have to take a hit, but yeah it was a fail.

I wonder if he is playing with something (most players this time of season ...) as his board work is usually stronger, although not his strong point.

Reactions: arso40

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
As long as all players get the same credit, and it isn't "soft" for player X but "smart" for player Y.
It's crazy how people are looking for any little perceived fault they can find.

He's obviously not 100%.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

I think both Nylander and Marner have this tendency to avoid contact at times but for the most part they make the right calls.

I've never seen plays like this for other teams go viral. Everything a Leaf does goes viral.

How often do teams get massive hits in the playoffs. Have you seen Nylander or Marner ever get caught like that? No because they have great awareness of where everyone is on both sides.

Marner just needs to be more assertive when he has the puck and use his stick better. I am way more pissed at their effort on Pastrnak's goal than this.

We've given Boston far too many freebies. If they can clean up their game and play disciplined, this series isn't even close.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Is this for me? I agree, I've never seen a player go to this extreme to avoid contact ever in my life. Marner was first on the puck, but saw a McCavoy coming and just gave him the puck and the easy exit to avoid the hit.

I've said this many times before though about Marner.

11 million dollars for a player who wants to play shinny.

Glad he got called out by a former player.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Interestingly, Keefe singled him out last night for looking good. He was much better in the second half of the game and noteworthy it was him who won the puck on the boards to clear the zone in the dying seconds. I just want to see him attack more, curling away is what they want to see. More impactful, he hasn't been awful just spotty effective.
keefes tryna give him some confidence cause hes not one to single out in a positive way im sorry....thats blatantly obvious

He needs to show up. Matthews is drawing the top defensive players from Boston, and Marner needs to find a way to get on the score sheet to make Boston pay
remember when ppl were making it seem like hes drawing the hardest matchups and still producing and willy was on the second line with less production its not soo easy away from matty huh?

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
As long as all players get the same credit, and it isn't "soft" for player X but "smart" for player
One of the things I've always listed about why Marner isn't worth 11 million.

1)He lacks acceleration/elite speed
2)He lacks size and strength
3)He lacks a high end shot
4)He's a terrible leader
5)He's a winger

This play checks box 2 and 4.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Coming off *that* injury, it’s important to manage expectations abit. So much of MM’s effectiveness is based on edge work, mobility, and shifting gears - really hard to do coming off a high ankle sprain. It’s why I’ve been leery of him killing penalties.

Reactions: ACC1224 and arso40

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

You don't see the issue with this?

Instead of making a play for the puck - in the offensive zone - he bails out and doesn't even make an attempt; to avoid being hit, which allows McAvoy to take the puck largely uncontested and it leads to an odd-man rush the other way.

How can you possibly have no issue with that? You say he's "clearly trying to gain the inside edge" to try and stop the puck from getting out, but the only reason he Bruins even have possession to get the puck out is because Marner pulled up short and didn't even attempt to get the puck in the corner because he didn't want to get hit.

How can you be okay with this??

Last edited:

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
...But Marner didn't come away with the puck? That exit was about as easy as it comes for Boston. All thanks to Marner. .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad