Player Discussion Mitch Marner

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
He will be fine.

He's a smart guy. By game 3 he'll have things refined.

This year is different. His team is finally playing tough. It's not as easy anymore to spend the energy chasing down Marner. 2 seconds later you're getting buried if your tank is half empty.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
A coworker of mine is the biggest Marner supporter I know. Overly optimistic guy, he'll go through any lengths to spin and defend Marner, but after games 1 and 2 Mitch finally broke him. Coworker was dejected, said 16 simply doesn't have another gear come playoff time and never will, (as a Leaf anyway) given up hope and it's best for both sides to part ways.

The amount of people finally smartening up about what to do with that 11m in cap space is refreshing to see.

Reactions: supermann_98

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
Yeah, not a lot happening from Mitch in the o-zone the last two nights although I think defensively, he wasn't too, too bad tonight. On the optimistic side, we're 1 and 1 on the road. If Mitch picks things up in the o-zone and we can get Willy back and going, Boston will have their hands full.

Reactions: ACC1224

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
MM played better than his Game 1 but he needs to be much better. Hopefully he is having a slow start and continue to play better.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Could Marner play better? Yes of course he could

But I don't think he's being given enough credit for the defensive work he's putting in

He's carrying that line and he's being asked to do some tough defensive work against some extremely talented players with less than ideal linemates, that's a tough ask

He's only human it's bound to affect his offensive output but if he's helping JT keep his head above water he's helping us win

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Could Marner play better? Yes of course he could

But I don't think he's being given enough credit for the defensive work he's putting in

He's carrying that line and he's being asked to do some tough defensive work against some extremely talented players with less than ideal linemates, that's a tough ask

He's only human it's bound to affect his offensive output but if he's helping JT keep his head above water he's helping us win
He was much better in Game 2. He was very hesitant and just didn’t carry the puck all that much in Game 1.
Hopefully he is rounding into form bc having MM buzzing will only help the Leafs.

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
He was much better in Game 2. He was very hesitant and just didn’t carry the puck all that much in Game 1.
Hopefully he is rounding into form bc having MM buzzing will only help the Leafs.

I thought he was worse than game 1. If you go back and watch his shifts he literally avoids any physical play, had a hand in both Boston goals by not keeping his head on a swivel. He needs to move the puck quicker with the way Boston plays making quicker passes will open up space.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
A coworker of mine is the biggest Marner supporter I know. Overly optimistic guy, he'll go through any lengths to spin and defend Marner, but after games 1 and 2 Mitch finally broke him. Coworker was dejected, said 16 simply doesn't have another gear come playoff time and never will, (as a Leaf anyway) given up hope and it's best for both sides to part ways.

The amount of people finally smartening up about what to do with that 11m in cap space is refreshing to see.
love to get a split on the road to start a series

Reactions: banks

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
He played pretty damn awful in game 2 and was invisible throughout.

He did some decent work on the penalty kill... I guess.

He wasn't good on the powerplay. He wasn't good 5 on 5 with his resistance and defense.

He played a couple of shifts with Matthews where he was absolutely no help.

You could say he's injured, I'll give him that... I guess, but historically he's been the worst player in the playoffs out of the big 4.

Reactions: supermann_98

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I believe he will break out, and he does need to be better, but if they can continue to make life tough for Pasta and get out of this round even if he picks up only a couple points, it will be a good series for him
Interestingly, Keefe singled him out last night for looking good. He was much better in the second half of the game and noteworthy it was him who won the puck on the boards to clear the zone in the dying seconds. I just want to see him attack more, curling away is what they want to see. More impactful, he hasn't been awful just spotty effective.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Interestingly, Keefe singled him out last night for looking good. He was much better in the second half of the game and noteworthy it was him who won the puck on the boards to clear the zone in the dying seconds. I just want to see him attack more, curling away is what they want to see. More impactful, he hasn't been awful just spotty effective.
Seems like Keefe wants to keep spirits high and the criticism minimal with Mitch

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Not gunna win shit in the playoffs when your 11m player, soon to be more than that becomes way worse in crunch time.

That's some shameful shit right there.
Having no balls/heart is an injury now?
And that "injury" is on full display in the above clip. It is unfortunate but it seems that the kid's been "injured" ever since that last time we faced Boston in the playoffs.

Yes, that indeed "interesting". LOL.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
He needs to show up. Matthews is drawing the top defensive players from Boston, and Marner needs to find a way to get on the score sheet to make Boston pay
It will be interesting to see what Bos does if Willy can come back.

Keefe I would imagine will keep Marner out against Pasta, and that will leave Willy free to wheel and deal.

Holmberg and Jarnkrok should help make up for Willy's lack of consistent 200 ft game and Marner should be able to just focus on shutting down Pasta

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
As long as his line keeps Pasta in-check 5v5 he can suck offensively all he wants.

45 year old marchand won't pick up the slack himself, but domi-matthews-bertuzzi can beat the rest of the bruins once pasta is taken out.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2009
As long as his line keeps Pasta in-check 5v5 he can suck offsensively all he wants.

45 year old marchand won't pick up the slack himself, but domi-matthews-bertuzzi can beat the rest of the bruins once pasta is taken out.
What about one of the Leafs best playoff performers who has yet to suit up in Style

Reactions: banks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad