Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I didn't even need this data, the eye test tells me all I need to know.

It is why I have been pushing for certain change and Brad was too green, the corporation too rigid, the market perhaps too light, (the desire to appease Matthews too strong?) to make the necessary changes.

This is the post season where players can put their reputations to bed. They can help a borderline team make the playoffs. What Leafs need is a performer for a team that MAKES the playoffs perennially.
I mean how much does Matthews care about what happens with Marner? 1 million on the line for the all star game and he chose Rielly, and Nylander before Marner. Maybe there is a better reason than Matthews not caring If he's on the same team as Marner. Maybe he's tired of being grouped with Marner? He should, he's a substantially better player, the awards he has are proof of that.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
I am going to be considerably weighing our performance in elimination games.

I thought the core were all great against Tampa in game 7 and were terrible in game 5 against Florida.

It's tough because you want to say well, Matthews and Marner did all they could but the team around them couldn't get it done. But if they're putting up blanks that's not going to cut it

I'm pumped for hockey with some stakes! It's been a dull few months waiting for something with meaning I can't wait to watch tomorrow. Boston is a fun opponent.

If you paid me I'd watch the Isles/canes or rangers/caps. Both of those sound so dry, can't imagine there's much of anything interesting happening.

The bruins are going to be am EXCELLENT barometer of what we have in our squad.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Another way to look at this is by “portion of shots from the slot.” This is just compared to themselves — are they getting the same quality looks they usually get per shot? The answer, outside of Matthews, is a pretty clear “no.”

I'm not a Marner fan by any means but I find this misleading.

To be meaningful these numbers would need to be compared against the rest of the league. Chances are most everyone will see their shots taken from further out in the playoffs and it's Marner's difference vs league average difference that really matters. All this article does is tell us one of these guys ended up taking his shots further out than the other three and that's neither a revelation or something avoidable.

Someone has to come in last.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
At some point, common sense will have to prevail.

If Marner expects to get paid 12 million plus on his next contract, management needs to recognize that for the same AAV, we can have a Bertuzzi, Domi, and a solid defenceman.
This HAS to be the thought process, especially if it's a first or even second round exit again this year.

In fact, full NMC or no full NMC if they're out again in the 1st round I expect the team to basically let Marner know this is his last year with the team unless he adjusts his salary expectations SIGNIFICANTLY. If he agrees and signs a reasonable number great, if he doesn't he can walk at the end of the year as Domi's shown just how easy it is to replace him on Matthews wing.

Reactions: Racer88

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
I don’t think we’re a middle of the pack team at all. I think we’re a poorly calibrated high end collection of top of the roster skill, a lot of psychological problems and emotional maturity issues. They’re both a resilient team, but also resilient because of their own fragility.

The idea of the team playing the meaningless games card, being done with the regular season and then failing on all their individual milestones under the spotlight. Just makes me think our star guys have too much of the stage fright and they make the moment too big for themselves.

Behaviourally I think most fans would be happy if we just had a minimum standard and some consistent work ethic and compete level like a Nashville.
Though that's not the case this year, a lot of the prior "failed to make milestones" situations were caused by intentional sabotage by our moron of a head coach, who has a very unique talent for takikng this team and producing something that is less than the sum of its parts...

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I'm not a Marner fan by any means but I find this misleading.

To be meaningful these numbers would need to be compared against the rest of the league. Chances are most everyone will see their shots taken from further out in the playoffs and it's Marner's difference vs league average difference that really matters. All this article does is tell us one of these guys ended up taking his shots further out than the other three and that's neither a revelation or something avoidable.

Someone has to come in last.
Sure, but the stats show somw of that data because it shows how much the big 4 all rank in those categories.

For example, Matthews slot shot percentage improved by 2%, Marners worsened by 13%.

The stats show that while Tavares shot distance only was 2' further from the net in the playoffs vs season, Marners was 10' further.

My point was also to defend Tavares. If your shooting as much as he is from the slot, it's only a positive, even if the shots didn't go in. It's evidence that he's in the dirty areas and he is getting shots off. He is anything but a liability that some are painting him as. Shocking that some are painting him as a liability while praising Marner.

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Though that's not the case this year, a lot of the prior "failed to make milestones" situations were caused by intentional sabotage by our moron of a head coach, who has a very unique talent for takikng this team and producing something that is less than the sum of its parts...

Yeah I can get behind some of that. The next coach we have we need a full throttle culture and never talk about load management ever again.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Sure, but the stats show somw of that data because it shows how much the big 4 all rank in those categories.

For example, Matthews slot shot percentage improved by 2%, Marners worsened by 13%.

The stats show that while Tavares shot distance only was 2' further from the net in the playoffs vs season, Marners was 10' further.

I think there is something in the data here too.

I just find it sloppy work by the author of the article. Amateur analysis. At minimal it wouldn't have been that hard to calculate the league average difference and use it as a calibration against the Leafs data set to see how much that would affect the numbers.

My guess is that if he had done something like that Marner's numbers wouldn't have been so bad.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
We're a long shot to win the cup, that's just reality. But then again, so is every other team so it's not out of the question either. We do need a lot of things to fall into place though starting with our goaltending holding up.

Whatever, you can pick away at what I said and that's fine. I'm a realist and I know that whatever anyone posts here isn't going to have any effect on the outcome. I just thought that since we're all fans of the same team, perhaps we could put our differences aside for the playoffs and support the team. It was just a thought.

I predicted this early in the year. The non fans spend a lot of time in their narcisism slamming guys like Marner. There are some who then get caught later with their tongue up his poop hole. They have to lead the riots and the parades. It's unseemly. I respect the critics who skulk away a lot more.
It isn't even about a player. It's about the team. Nobody likes the guy who slams the Leafs all year (everyone knows one) and then acts like a buffoon talking about how good the team is and how long they have been a loyal fan.
Maybe I love a team that has set the standard at sucking. I still cheer them on and will continue to do so because hope is what is being sold here.
Sorry - just having a bit of fun. I would say "let's go out there and win" or "we've in a good position" are examples of sending positive energy, while "hope they can pull off a miracle" (the bit I bolded) isn't.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I would think this is Keefe's last coaching stint with the Leafs.

1713586399468.png

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Great post.

"Look at the reaction. This isn't just about winning a game, it's about a moment as a teammate."

Who on earth wouldn't want Marner on their team?
For starters I’m thinking every team that has won the cup since Marner has been in the league. At his price point they would have to dump some seriously good depth and probably not winning the cup. Well balanced teams with good players win cups. Go ask Vegas

Jun 27, 2005
For starters I’m thinking every team that has won the cup since Marner has been in the league. At his price point they would have to dump some seriously good depth and probably not winning the cup. Well balanced teams with good players win cups. Go ask Vegas
It's not Marners fault that our cap isn't balanced. Vegas would gladly take Marner and give us Eichel instantly making them better, but we would never do that. Think man. There are only two untouchables on the team, Matthews and Marner. If you've got issues with the cap configuration you've got a lot of options to trade including the defensive black hole floater that is Nylander and of course Tavares. Marner is not the problem.

Last edited:

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Vegas to me was the prototype. I made a major post at that time almost directing it to Dubas that picking up Pietrangelo was the key missing ingredient that would solve so much.

It would have demanded that the Leafs didn't re-sign Reilly and instead grabbed a true #1 for a bit more. Obviously Dubas disagreed and a few weeks later Reilly was signed for slightly less.

Well, Vegas, as I suggested at that time was going to win the Cup and being the team I watched second most to the Leafs, it took them two-three years I believe.

How many franchises, new or old, do the Leafs have to watch win a Cup before we can even reach the finals?

If a sports team isn't a meritocracy it is a guaranteed loser. I hope the new owners are listening. They could hire a few of us from this board and get solid advice lol.

The problem with executives and even media is they are often around the players and team, they become biased. If the Leafs want to build a winner ask other coaches how they view the Leafs.

Last edited:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Vegas to me was the prototype. I made a major post at that time almost directing it to Dubas that picking up Pietrangelo was the key missing ingredient that would solve so much.

It would have demanded that the Leafs didn't re-sign Reilly and instead grabbed a true #1 for a bit more. Obviously Dubas disagreed and a few weeks later Reilly was signed for slightly less.

Well, Vegas, as I suggested at that time was going to win the Cup and being the team I watched second most to the Leafs, it took them two-three years I believe.

How many franchises, new or old, do the Leafs have to watch win a Cup before we can even reach the finals?

If a sports team isn't a meritocracy it is a guaranteed loser. I hope the new owners are listening. They could hire a few of us from this board and get solid advice lol.

The problem with executives and even media is they are often around the players and team, they become biased. If the Leafs want to build a winner ask other coaches how they view the Leafs.
We needed Rielly and Petro. He could have dumped Brodie and his 5.5m cap but I don't think the Leafs were interested in Petro for long.

Reactions: supermann_98

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Sorry - just having a bit of fun. I would say "let's go out there and win" or "we've in a good position" are examples of sending positive energy, while "hope they can pull off a miracle" (the bit I bolded) isn't.
No worries, and I didn't mean it as a negative. We're a long shot, but so is every other team so we got a shot. I acknowledge that we're a huge longshot even but that doesn't mean we can't win, and wouldn't winning as a massive long shot be extra sweet?

It's that time of year - it's the beginning of the (real) season, and every team that made the playoffs is in the mix until they're not. I spend all (regular) season being a realist, but when the playoffs start I kind of turn into a little kid again and dream of the big prize. I know some people are like that during the regular season - they don't want to hear about our playoff history because it ruins their enjoyment or something but I'm the opposite. For me the regular season is like one long training camp and nothing matters that much anyway but now, today, this is where the real games begin and that's when I try to focus on the positive, put aside the negative and when it's all over, then I'll become a realist again.

Let's go out there and win - yes!

We're in a good position - yes! Every team that is in the playoffs is in a good position, and that includes us. Hopefully we kick things off with a convincing win tonight. GLG!!

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Reading this going into their 8th playoffs tells me these guys do have what it takes to win in the playoffs, when they play for keeps, no matter what Shanny and the fanboys say. Sorry, can't change the spots on a leopard. Seeing Willie doing his famous flybys and avoiding contact, Mitch skating everywhere in the O zone except to the dirty areas is more than enough to confirm it. But hey let's see if anything changes in their 9th playoff series.
You mean don't, right?

Reactions: ToneDog

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I didn't even need this data, the eye test tells me all I need to know.

It is why I have been pushing for certain change and Brad was too new here, the corporation too rigid, the market perhaps too light, (the desire to appease Matthews too strong?) to make the necessary changes.

This is the post season where players can put their reputations to bed. Some players can help a borderline team make the playoffs. What Leafs need is a performer for a team that MAKES the playoffs perennially.
Wait. I thought the eye test tells you all you need to know. If true, then how can a player put their reputation to bed.

Neither eye test not some peoples poor grasp of analytics seem to make the outcome of this playoffs a certainty it seems.
Who would have sport was like that

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
If you've got issues with the cap configuration you've got a lot of options to trade including the defensive black hole floater that is Nylander
He has a full NMC, this isn't an option at all actually.

Jun 27, 2005
He has a full NMC, this isn't an option at all actually.
First of all it was until a few months ago and you can trade anyone if you need to. But that's not the point. You don't get rid of Marner or Matthews because you made mistakes with Nylander and Tavares.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
First of all it was until a few months ago and you can trade anyone if you need to. But that's not the point. You don't get rid of Marner or Matthews because you made mistakes with Nylander and Tavares.
Yeah he's obviously not in the conversation to be traded to fix the cap structure, so why bring him up to begin with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad