Value of: Mitch Marner this offseason (2.5 mil retained)

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
You should read the posts you respond to.

I said in the last decade Mitch Marner had more playoff success… which he did?

Doughty hasn’t had a good playoff series, or won a round in a decade straight now. Doughty has won 7 playoff games in the last decade combined.
Yeah I read it, its a terrible take. Doughty competes hard, Marner completely disappears and avoids contact didnt even know he was playing last night. You cant be objective whatsoever if anything maple leafs are involved. You should try it, maybe your opinion will be taken seriously.

Reactions: Silky Johnson

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
yea. long playoff drought, a plethora of ld and they haven't been very high on power this season.
Averaged 23 minutes a night this season, at 20-21 years old..

They aren't trading a 6'6 horse who will be a future #1 D-man for a soft, overpaid, 27 year old winger.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I see it similarly, an example would be Pulock + 2024 1st for Marner @ 25% retained. Underwhelming but likely necessary.
Yeah, I don't think the Isles even do that straight up, let alone the 1st.

I'd be thinking like Chabot or Parayko straight up, 1:1.

They need the cap space, that's part of the value.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Devils have the cap space and the positional need.

Whether they want to use that cap space for a rental is another question.

With Hughes and the company they need more like Tkachuk type than another small skill winger. Should try to build a team that can compete in the playoffs

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Matthew Tkachuck wasn't exactly known as a stellar playoff performer when he got traded.

He was younger and just had his best season, also played more unique game

Edit, also was millions cheaper than what Marner could ask

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
The leafs just need to get his salary off the books. The return is not the priority. Imagine what 10 million freed would do for the Leafs.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
I just realized, maybe Anaheim could be a good trading partner?

They have loads of cap space, and extra 1st from Edmonton+a good prospect pool, and Marner may want to go to a non-traditional market.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
The leafs just need to get his salary off the books. The return is not the priority. Imagine what 10 million freed would do for the Leafs.
Maybe TML can pull a Vegas and put Marner on LTIR until the playoffs. Use the Cap space to sign a couple UFA's.

Marner can claim his feelings are hurt.

Reactions: Silky Johnson

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Might be worth seeing if former employee Lamoriello would be open to a Pulock for Marner swap, although I can imagine Lou would require RFA Liljgren to be part of such a deal while sending a low-level deadwood contract or two back in the process.

Pulock (29) has another 6 years at 6.15 MM per.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Rakell, Pickering and a 2025 1st for Marner
Pettersson, Koivunen and a 2025 1st for Marner

I'd be willing to do either of those assuming Marner would re-sign with the Penguins. But I figure he wouldn't be waiving his NMC to go to a team he didn't intend on re-signing with.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016

I'd be willing to do either of those assuming Marner would re-sign with the Penguins. But I figure he wouldn't be waiving his NMC to go to a team he didn't intend on re-signing with.

I wouldn't touch the Rakell deal with a ten foot pole, solely cause I don't see that contract aging well at all. I also don't see Pickering as much more than a big stay at-home bottom pair at the next level.

------

That being said: the Pettersson deal is far more enticing. I am a koivunen fan, I think he's your third best prospect outside of Yager and Blomqvist. The issue is Pettersson is a LHD, and we need RHD. Pretty close value wise (maybe would try to pry one more B-/c+ level prospect Ilyin/Broz).

Good offer though, better than some of the other crap in here. Just would prefer a RHD option.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
Taylor Hall was traded straight up for Adam Larsson so some of the ideas here that Leafs fans hate are actually probably going to be in play.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

Fine with either of these as long as that first is lottery protected.

Marner or no there's no guarantee the wheels don't fall off for the Pens next year.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Maybe TML can pull a Vegas and put Marner on LTIR until the playoffs. Use the Cap space to sign a couple UFA's.

Marner can claim his feelings are hurt.
The problem with that logic is that Marner is useless in the playoffs. The only value he has is in the regular season, when he would be LTIRd.

• Haha
Reactions: rsteen

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Mitch Marner is in a similar situation to Phil Kessel in that he's being asked from the TML fans to be more than he is given his salary. He needs to go to a team who's leadership core is already very strong and he can settle in as a key player but not viewed as one of the "top" guys.

Penguins, Canes, Stars are three teams that I think would be a good fit and can actually fit his cap with some maneuvering. Value and desire is obviously TBD, but I'm only looking at teams that have strong leadership cores.

I'm torn on the Kings. I think they have the leadership core on a similar level of the above teams, but we see how well that helped PLD.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Why? Leafs need a #1 RHD. Check.

Do they have a time machine?

About the worst way to use your best trade asset on a 34y Dman who can’t play defense

But all the other divisional teams should hope Leafs would do something as stupid as that

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That being said: the Pettersson deal is far more enticing. I am a koivunen fan, I think he's your third best prospect outside of Yager and Blomqvist. The issue is Pettersson is a LHD, and we need RHD. Pretty close value wise (maybe would try to pry one more B-/c+ level prospect Ilyin/Broz).

Another idea: Smith, Pickering, Ilyin and a 2025 lottery protected 1st for Toronto?

That's pretty well aligned with the Kessel trade (some cap, Kapanen, Harrington and a 1st basically) and it doesn't have the Leafs taking a long-term deal like Rakell's.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
NYI are a perennially poorly run organization. I think players quite often have teams like NYI on their no-go list.

NYR however.... that's a go-to organization. Ownership and money matters.

To be fair, a lot of NYI's troubles could have been attributed to their arena situation, which is now resolved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad