Mitch Marner (post playoffs) discussion thread continued...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
E2y8Pz_WEAEaQDQ

that's from Toronto Maple Leafs News, Opinion & Analysis | MLHS

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
He could've been a Leaf that was all time adored. Poster boy GTA boy who was a Leaf fan growing up and drafted by the LEafs. He could have been a fan favourite. But greed, jealousy, Paul Marner, whatever you call it, got in the way and he decided to cripple the team both capwise and Stanley Cup opportunity-wise. Now he's the most hated and rightfully so.

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Top 5 in points this season should get us a kings ransom if we do decide to go the trade route, plus the money is less than the cap hit and small market teams absolutely adore such things.

Im not entirely convinced he can't make it work in the playoffs, he's still young, i mean i have his jersey i love the dude so much, but after a certain amount of time you have to look yourself in the mirror and accept him for who he is, maybe he doesn't have that extra gear and killer instinct like Nylander come post season.

Its just, thata too many first round exits, i feel like someone is gone, and if someone is, its Mitch, Nylander played like a man possessed plus that contract is a sweet one, you cant trade him, Matthews can't go because goals are the most important hardest to get thing in hockey.

Tavares is our captain and has nothing to do with this loss so he's fine.

I just believe if we take this seriously and make a big change Marner is the odd man out, whether i want him gone or not is another question, but the discussion is justified, he has really brought nothing when it matters most.

But knowing the leafs, they probably stay the course for one more year, and then blow it up trading Marner.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Hes clearly not a team player. Mitch Marner bets on Mitch Marner. And it has failed horribly so far. The few times that Nylander was actually on the top PP AND had the puck on the half wall instead of Marner the PP looked so much better and more lively. Mitch's ego doesnt want to allow that to happen though.

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
Last year I went on tirades on this man and instead of feeling validated I feel nothing. He is dreadful any time physicality is required. I can honestly say he is my least favorite Toronto Maple Leaf to ever wear the uniform. He is a mental midget with the physique of a pre-puberty pep boy. I don't care about the team anymore but I hope he never wins anything. He acted like a home town kid and drained them for every $ he could squeeze, only to perform the way he did in back to back series. Regular season meant nothing this year to me. He and Nylander HAD to step up in the playoffs. The guy who did step up was KILLED by the media, while Marner did the same thing and was instantly PAID... Funny, only Nylander was killed by the media and PORTRAYED as a money grabbing jerk. Marner did the same thing for more money and everyone adores him. Look at their contract differences. Nylander is paid way less but actually has the body of a hockey player. Marner looks like an ill Fortnite gamer. I don't think I can ever be a fan again but for those who are loyal and good people, I hope they trade his cancer so you guys can have players that you can be proud of and root for. Not this little weasel. He was so awful all series yet continued to make selfish dangles and turn the back over. The penalties were just illustrations of how weak he is tbh.

and yeah he gets paid 11 million dollars so if this is too much for hf boards than I understand but it's how I feel and this forum is meant for us getting our thoughts out.

Last edited:

Mentat

Sep 19, 2020
10 ply.
He´s a magician alright. Come PO time, he vanishes into thin air.

He´s got talent, no one denies it. But he´s nowhere to be found when we need him most. With the amount of AAV he´s guzzling, trade him and get someone that will rise up to the occasion.

Reactions: MJK and Beleafer34

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Honestly not the first star to not show up to a series. Get over it everyone, the whole team played like shit.
They wouldn’t of went far regardless

Reactions: RaFe

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Between this and Siegel's cryptic tweet from yesterday, this is deeply concerning. I think it's quite evident that he must be moved for team culture reasons, because he clearly has an ego and feels entitled to be playing a certain way or in certain situations. Then when you bring in all the noise with his toxic entourage and family, it's obvious that you can't move forward with someone like this because there will be no accountability.

He absolutely needs to be traded ASAP.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Hey fans,

Mitch marner here. Just wanted to say sorry for not starting on time last night, but I don’t get paid for the playoffs so it’s hard to justify starting on time. But I promise, cross my heart and hope to die, that next game I’ll definitely be starting on time as my gargantuan paycheques will start again.

now I’m off to an exotic destination to count my millions and dip my toes in the ocean.

your favourite leaf

Mitchie.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
This is such a stupid f***ing take. William and spezza were amazing. Brodie was fantastic. Marner was absolutely shit.

The above mentioned players played well overall yes.
The team as a whole played like shit. No signs of a playoff winner

Leafy Undergrowth

Feb 4, 2013
He'll be a fine player when he decides to grow up and take his $11 million job seriously. But neither he himself, nor this coach, nor multiple playoff humiliations have been able to get through to him. Maybe a trade will do it, but it's really gonna suck if that's what does it.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
The above mentioned players played well overall yes.
The team as a whole played like shit. No signs of a playoff winner
Yeah the team played like shit cus individual players like marner ( who made 16 million dollars) played like the p***y he is.

Jun 27, 2005
The problem is not Marner. The problem is the team. It's not built for the playoffs and it's cap is poorly distributed. I posted this in a Kane vs Marner thread.

TLDR;
Great players often don't do so well on bad teams particularly in the playoffs. And YES, this is a bad team because playoff hockey is significantly different.

In their first 5 seasons here are the numbers:
SeasonAgeGoalsAssistsPoints
MarnerKaneMarnerKaneMarnerKaneMarnerKaneMarnerKane
2016-172007-0819190.250.260.550.620.790.88
2017-182008-0920200.270.310.570.560.840.88
2018-192009-1021210.320.370.830.711.151.07
2019-202010-1122220.270.370.860.631.141.00
2020-212011-1223230.360.280.850.521.220.80
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
There should be some GP'ed asterisks but those are the numbers.

In playoff seasons where their team played at most 9 games.
GPGAP
Marner3252025
Kane3352328
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Yes. these are Kanes worst 5 years in the playoffs but they are also Marners worst and just because their team didn't do well it's probably not entirely their fault. This is how they performed on bad teams in the playoffs.

Reactions: Knox Harrington

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Yeah the team played like shit cus individual players like marner ( who made 16 million dollars) played like the p***y he is.

I don’t disagree.
Why sell him at an all time low? Who would take him knowing he’s owed 17 mill?

If we trade him, we have to ensure we get better as we’re a competitive team. I don’t think we would get better while losing Marner. Teams won’t exactly pay full value and I dunno how many owners would even sign off on a Marner trade knowing the money owed to him.

I am not happy at all. I think he’s over paid, just like Tavares was a stupid signing and the team is overall very weak minded and physically weak.

This mess has been made and the course has been set

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
I don’t disagree.
Why sell him at an all time low? Who would take him knowing he’s owed 17 mill?

If we trade him, we have to ensure we get better as we’re a competitive team. I don’t think we would get better while losing Marner. Teams won’t exactly pay full value and I dunno how many owners would even sign off on a Marner trade knowing the money owed to him.

I am not happy at all. I think he’s over paid, just like Tavares was a stupid signing and the team is overall very weak minded and physically weak.

This mess has been made and the course has been set
Culture change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: