Prospect Info: Mitch Marner - February 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Old thread is full. Here is the new one.

Previous: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2004493

Prospect Info: Mitch Marner - Player Discussion ‎(
multipage.gif
1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)

Last edited by a moderator:

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
I'm fine with Marner being a winger, but to me, he's at least as good of a C, as he is a winger.

For instance, last year he played C in the playoffs and was just outstanding.

WillNytheSwedishGuy

Sep 17, 2015
Hopefully he puts on some bulk this summer. Doesn't look like he got much of a growth spurt or put on any weight since the draft.

This is key. For all the 'he shouldn't be in the OHL next year because point production" talk, if he doesn't add weight at a Nylander style quick pace, he is probably not going to be an NHL regular next year.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
This is key. For all the 'he shouldn't be in the OHL next year because point production" talk, if he doesn't add weight at a Nylander style quick pace, he is probably not going to be an NHL regular next year.

Really not necessary that he gain 20+ pounds to crack the NHL.

WillNytheSwedishGuy

Sep 17, 2015
Really not necessary that he gain 20+ pounds to crack the NHL.

Who said anything about gaining 20 pounds. He has to add weight, and there is a difference between cracking the NHL and being able to physically survive an 82 game season against pros.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Who said anything about gaining 20 pounds. He has to add weight, and there is a difference between cracking the NHL and being able to physically survive an 82 game season against pros.

You said like Nylander did, he went from 170~ to 190~ in one off season. I don't think weight is as important as strength though, is all I meant.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Lamoriello has brought up a player that he called, "too good to go back to junior but not quite ready for the NHL." They brought him up to the NHL & worked him in slowly. I think that is what they will do with Marner.

Bring him up, have him under their control, under their work out regimes, under their dieticians. Match him up with who they want & against who they want. If he gets an adequate amount of playing time & he is advancing as they want, they keep him up. If not they send him back down to mature more in an easier environment. They can't send him down & bring him up later, so they'll keep him up & see how things work out.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Lamoriello has brought up a player that he called, "too good to go back to junior but not quite ready for the NHL." They brought him up to the NHL & worked him in slowly. I think that is what they will do with Marner.

Bring him up, have him under their control, under their work out regimes, under their dieticians. Match him up with who they want & against who they want. If he gets an adequate amount of playing time & he is advancing as they want, they keep him up. If not they send him back down to mature more in an easier environment. They can't send him down & bring him up later, so they'll keep him up & see how things work out.
I really wonder who this was, just quickly looking through the draft history of the Devil's there was one highly drafted CHL player who made New Jersey as a 19 year old and was slightly undersized for his position. His name was Scott Niedermayer, but he got 80 games and produced 40 pts, so that doesn't seem slow. Shanahan might fit it too. Lou really avoided drafting CHL guys high past the mid 90's. Here jerseys draft history, (http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00007066.html) but I could easily be missing a guy they acquired by trade. If the guy he's talking about is one of Niedermayer and Shanahan, I can easily see why he would avoid attaching the names of two hall of famers who have won everything.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
I really wonder who this was, just quickly looking through the draft history of the Devil's there was one highly drafted CHL player who made New Jersey as a 19 year old and was slightly undersized for his position. His name was Scott Niedermayer, but he got 80 games and produced 40 pts, so that doesn't seem slow. Shanahan might fit it too. Lou really avoided drafting CHL guys high past the mid 90's. Here jerseys draft history, (http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00007066.html) but I could easily be missing a guy they acquired by trade. If the guy he's talking about is one of Niedermayer and Shanahan, I can easily see why he would avoid attaching the names of two hall of famers who have won everything.

It was Shanahan. The point being, Lamoriello likes to move players up slowly, but will move them up if he sees it as most beneficial to the player's development.

If he thinks Marner is too good to stay in the OHL he will move him up. Shanahan had size & could physically handle himself, but Marner is a different skill level. Two completely different players, but maybe the same dilemma for Lamoriello.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Trades & Proposals 2016: Lamoriello is Amazing.3 Weeks to Go till Deadline Day

the other thread was really full - let's continue.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
i rather have marner play limited 3rd even 4th line minutes and play on PP in nhl then play in ohl again

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
i rather have marner play limited 3rd even 4th line minutes and play on PP in nhl then play in ohl again

Would it be worth it if the team struggles like it does now? I think a partial year in London, then attending the WJC will give management enough time to see where the team's headed and where Marner can get the most valuable games. Would slotting Warner in such a limited role hurt our draft chances and his development? Could be even more interesting if we end up drafting Tkachuk.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
He's still pretty small for the NHL.
Another year of bulking up might be safer for him.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Would it be worth it if the team struggles like it does now? I think a partial year in London, then attending the WJC will give management enough time to see where the team's headed and where Marner can get the most valuable games. Would slotting Warner in such a limited role hurt our draft chances and his development? Could be even more interesting if we end up drafting Tkachuk.
If anything it would be keep him til the WJC then send him down, we can't call him up mid-year, his OHL team would have to be out of the playoffs before we can recall him.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

I believe Leaf management will evaluate his situation next based on if he is ready to play in the NHL, and not that he is too good for junior hockey and keep him for that reason.

This is really mostly on Marner to get bigger and stronger and show up at Leafs camp and force the situation in his own favour by impressing the Leafs.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Really doesn't answer the question
He could but there is no chance of that happening. Any player in the CHL can terminate their contract at any point, and sign with a team that is not an NHL or NHL affiliated league. In Marner's case its a bit complex because Leafs would also have to agree to loan him because he has signed an ELC with us. Look up Nikolay Goldobin who the Sharks did this with.

DWest89

May 15, 2015
Zero chance of that happening. Zero.

But yes, he could.

Don't believe he is allowed to go to Europe due to his rights being owned by London. Only options are Maple Leafs or Knights.

I think they evaluate him in camp... if he isn't physically ready, keep him down playing our number 1 centre role until world juniors. Let him take on a big role there, then have a long think about what to do with him in January next year.

stewpac

Nov 30, 2015
Big game tonight against Erie. Looking for Marner to continue his hot play against Strome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad