Mississauga Steelheads 2022-23 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Looks like the three OA's are set with Collins signing with Halliburton. He's lighting it up there as well, was hoping to get something in return for him as a few teams could use a OA forward. Having said that I'm happy with the three they kept, but I hope Urberti shows a bit more then he did after arriving here last season.

Chisholm was released on waivers, and a former 6th pick goaltender Kowatsch was in the net for Guelph during their exhibition game. Any day now the final roster should be posted, looking forward to this season.

mtshapcott

Feb 12, 2019
Looks like the three OA's are set with Collins signing with Halliburton. He's lighting it up there as well, was hoping to get something in return for him as a few teams could use a OA forward. Having said that I'm happy with the three they kept, but I hope Urberti shows a bit more then he did after arriving here last season.

Chisholm was released on waivers, and a former 6th pick goaltender Kowatsch was in the net for Guelph during their exhibition game. Any day now the final roster should be posted, looking forward to this season.
wow i had expected Chisholm to play a key role up front this year. They don't have many physical forwards now

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
wow i had expected Chisholm to play a key role up front this year. They don't have many physical forwards now
Unfortunately I don't think Chisholm was good enough to fit in with this forward group. Schwindt can more than fill that role will some strong production as well.

Better off giving a younger player some ice time while potentially adding a depth guy to fill that role near the trade deadline

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018

The OA forward market is saturated right now, especially with the Bulldogs holding onto all of their guys.

I think the made the right choice on OA's, Collins didn't produce enough outside of the IceDogs games and was a non-factor when not flanking Hardie/Del Bel Belluz.

Anyone know if Kowastch was waived? Or if he was just loaned to Guelph for that game? I'd rather hold onto an 05 vs an 04 in Nixon who has already been waived prior and hasn't shown the ability to be an OHL goalie

Reactions: Tarantula

mtshapcott

Feb 12, 2019
Roster is now on the website and Beck is on it. does that mean he's back with the Steelheads and won't be playing the Leafs tonight?

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Anyone know if Kowastch was waived? Or if he was just loaned to Guelph for that game? I'd rather hold onto an 05 vs an 04 in Nixon who has already been waived prior and hasn't shown the ability to be an OHL goalie

Ah, good point, I just assumed he was waived as I forgot about loaning players. I agree with you as well.

Reactions: Steel Fishbowl

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Roster is now on the website and Beck is on it. does that mean he's back with the Steelheads and won't be playing the Leafs tonight?

Don't know for sure but I would think so as the regular season starts tomorrow in Niagara. He won't be staying up there for any of the 9 regular season games window as a second rounder so I'd think he'd be returned to the Steelheads in time to start the season.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
The OA forward market is saturated right now, especially with the Bulldogs holding onto all of their guys.

I think the made the right choice on OA's, Collins didn't produce enough outside of the IceDogs games and was a non-factor when not flanking Hardie/Del Bel Belluz.

they still have his rights

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
they still have his rights

Now his rights were officially traded to Guelph.

Something is better than nothing for a guy who lost his spot to a 2nd rounder.

Wonder what happened to Stefan Forgione though. 05' crop is not looking too great right now, even with Harding and Zebeski entering the mix alongside Misa and no 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round picks.

Reactions: Steel Fishbowl

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

Now his rights were officially traded to Guelph.

Something is better than nothing for a guy who lost his spot to a 2nd rounder.

Wonder what happened to Stefan Forgione though. 05' crop is not looking too great right now, even with Harding and Zebeski entering the mix alongside Misa and no 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round picks.

its wierd how they never played forgione but also never asigned him to a lower level? just left him to rot?

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

mtshapcott

Feb 12, 2019
Hard fought win tonight Lavoie your player of the game Urbati looked good to Enright not so much.
I didn't think Enright had a bad game...Uberti in my opinion had his best game as a Steelhead. The other guy that stood out to me was Mason Zebeski....his stats don't look great for the game (-2) but he plays like he's a little bit angry and has good puck control. Maybe we won't miss Chisholm after all if Zebeski plays that kind of game all year.
Luke Misa had a tough game...he looked unstoppable in preseason but it was just hard for him last night.
Kai Schwindt got caught at least twice and maybe 3 times with his head down in open ice.
Chuck had a horrible giveaway for the icedogs second goal. He skated to the bench looked at his coaches and said "I f**ked up". They left him on the ice basically saying "no big deal. You're our top guy, make up for it". Callaghan looked dangerous a couple of time on the rush after that. He almost scored in OT before Zach.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
no they dont, you can find any player on any team

Ok, I just googled him and the results had his name and the spitfires listed, with separate links to when he committed to Mississauga, so I just assumed Windsor had his rights. I guess that can be chalked up to goofy google. Thanks!

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Not too worried about the weak 05 crop as they are built around their 03s/04s and can add to the 05 group through trade next year. It will also likely be a rebuild year once the 05's hit their 4th year and they can hopefully a Misa trade can help with that.

On that note as well, gotta say I've been really impressed with the 06 group so far through the pre-season and game 1. Karmiris has shown flashes, Leenders looks like a stud, Von Richter was solid and Eggleton came to play on Thursday. And going back to the pre-season, Liam Spencer definitely has an OHL future as well

Reactions: Tarantula

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Not too worried about the weak 05 crop as they are built around their 03s/04s and can add to the 05 group through trade next year. It will also likely be a rebuild year once the 05's hit their 4th year and they can hopefully a Misa trade can help with that.

On that note as well, gotta say I've been really impressed with the 06 group so far through the pre-season and game 1. Karmiris has shown flashes, Leenders looks like a stud, Von Richter was solid and Eggleton came to play on Thursday. And going back to the pre-season, Liam Spencer definitely has an OHL future as well

It helps when you can pick up a solid import in the 2nd round too.

Hull has NHL upside coming in. Nothing great, but even fringe prospects can become top 6 CHLers.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Besides Nixon, who else is in the system?

Leenders first game ever and was the first tender taken in the 22 draft, second round no less. He didn't look sharp but there were a few defensive breakdowns in front of him. I'm thinking they will be spotting his starts as a 16 yr old going forward.

Thought it was somewhat of a sluggish game today for both teams, Steelheads had the edge in the offensive zone but just couldn't get the clean shots they needed to beat Ranger.

Hope we get Beck and Del Mastro back soon, the former would be a big part in getting the offence set and the former would help with the defensive zone lapses, not too mention getting the full PP and PK units out there.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Leenders first game ever and was the first tender taken in the 22 draft, second round no less. He didn't look sharp but there were a few defensive breakdowns in front of him. I'm thinking they will be spotting his starts as a 16 yr old going forward.

Thought it was somewhat of a sluggish game today for both teams, Steelheads had the edge in the offensive zone but just couldn't get the clean shots they needed to beat Ranger.

Hope we get Beck and Del Mastro back soon, the former would be a big part in getting the offence set and the former would help with the defensive zone lapses, not too mention getting the full PP and PK units out there.
he played with richmonds kid and i have a feeling there was some personal bias there. im not saying the kid isnt a great goalie, he may be, but i know other teams didnt have him nearly as high as mississauga took him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad