Mississauga Steelheads 2016-17 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NHL Fanatic

Oct 4, 2010
GTA
Congratulations to Marchment on signing with the Marlies. Good luck to all the OA's including Burnside or Flinn whether they choose school or pro hockey, they will be missed.

Need a big draft day, address forward and goaltending concerns

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Congratulations to Marchment on signing with the Marlies. Good luck to all the OA's including Burnside or Flinn whether they choose school or pro hockey, they will be missed.

Need a big draft day, address forward and goaltending concerns

Bingo - with all D returning (unless they only choose 1 of Walsh or Leblanc as OA) I'd say forward with 1st rounder and try scooping up the best goalie with a 2nd rounder.

1st Pick - Hayton, Roberts, Dudas

2nd Pick - Ingham, Torchia or Sheppard

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
With the 7th overall pick in the #OHLDraft, the Steelheads select Kirill Nizhnikov. Welcome to Mississauga!

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
With their 2nd round pick (26th overall) the Steelheads are pleased to select goaltender, Jacob Ingham. #OHLDraft

NHL Fanatic

Oct 4, 2010
GTA
He was photographed and showed up to the Hershey Centre after being drafted. I'd be very surprised someone who isn't reporting would do that - look at Ryan McLeod last year, didn't go to OHL offices for the classic 1st, 2nd and 3rd photo.

That was probably a ploy to not get drafted by specific teams at the top. I don't see no issue with him suiting up with the Steelheads this fall. His agent had previous players play for James Boyd, so I doubt they would try to screw them over.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
That was probably a ploy to not get drafted by specific teams at the top. I don't see no issue with him suiting up with the Steelheads this fall. His agent had previous players play for James Boyd, so I doubt they would try to screw them over.

No way! Didn't know this. Any chance you can divulge the players - one's with Russian backgrounds? Babinstev?

NorthHockey

Sep 9, 2014
Team looks like to be in good shape for next year. Think Boyd did a great job in the draft.

A more experience D for next season. Goalies Murdaca and possible signing of Ingham should be a good fit.

If Nylander is back should have high scoring offence.

Right now looks like Barrie should knock of North Bay and the way Kingston is playing, the Steelheads could have had a good chance to go far this year.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario

JHUT44

Sep 22, 2015
Peel Region
3 yrs too late.. Congrats to James Richmond on his promotion.. He will have quite the roster for his first yr as HC...

devils55

Mar 9, 2012
Great news as Richmond is the new head coach.

Early roster projections

Bastian - Mcleod - DMB(OA)
Tippett - Clark(OA) - Import Pick #1
Nishnikov(R) - Mcleod - Bourne(OA)
Harrogate - Smith - Dickerson
Yeamans/Little(R)

Day - Hague
Leblanc(OA) - Walsh(OA)
Gibson - Osmanski
O'Donnell

Murdaca
Ingham(R)

OA situation - Im gonna guess they keep DMB if he wants to stay. He was on fire at the end of the year. Also I think Clark is gonna be a keeper. So then you pick out of Leblanc,Walsh and Bourne. My pick would probably be Leblanc, eats big minutes, top scoring dman from last year and plays in all situation. You could fetch a little for Walsh and Bourne. But if you're trying to upgrade your Goalie position, trading Leblanc or Clark might be your only options.

Import Picks - If DMB stays they'll have 1 pick. I believe they go after a young impact forward. I believe they have a top 20 pick. Defense is mostly intact for the year depending if you're moving out an OA (leblanc or walsh). I could see them picking a dman also. who knows.

Goalie - I believe Ingham will be the back-up. With the roster they have they will most likely go after a 97 or 98 starting goalie. Can you draft an import Goalie, I am not sure? and if you trade for an OA goalie, you trade 3 of 5 OA's. Primeau is also in the pipelines.

A lot of tough decisions to come for newly appointed Boyd. At least he doesn't have to focus on coaching....Thank god.

2015 Draft - Any 99 prospects expecting to make the jump from junior to the OHL next year ???

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
He can't go there - since he'll be drafted from CHL, he's bound by those rules and not the European league rules.

No. Because he's on loan from his pro team in Europe he can bypass and play AHL next season - see Julius Honka. I'm optimistic he returns however.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Great news as Richmond is the new head coach.

Early roster projections

Bastian - Mcleod - DMB(OA)
Tippett - Clark(OA) - Import Pick #1
Nishnikov(R) - Mcleod - Bourne(OA)
Harrogate - Smith - Dickerson
Yeamans/Little(R)

Day - Hague
Leblanc(OA) - Walsh(OA)
Gibson - Osmanski
O'Donnell

Murdaca
Ingham(R)

OA situation - Im gonna guess they keep DMB if he wants to stay. He was on fire at the end of the year. Also I think Clark is gonna be a keeper. So then you pick out of Leblanc,Walsh and Bourne. My pick would probably be Leblanc, eats big minutes, top scoring dman from last year and plays in all situation. You could fetch a little for Walsh and Bourne. But if you're trying to upgrade your Goalie position, trading Leblanc or Clark might be your only options.

Import Picks - If DMB stays they'll have 1 pick. I believe they go after a young impact forward. I believe they have a top 20 pick. Defense is mostly intact for the year depending if you're moving out an OA (leblanc or walsh). I could see them picking a dman also. who knows.

Goalie - I believe Ingham will be the back-up. With the roster they have they will most likely go after a 97 or 98 starting goalie. Can you draft an import Goalie, I am not sure? and if you trade for an OA goalie, you trade 3 of 5 OA's. Primeau is also in the pipelines.

A lot of tough decisions to come for newly appointed Boyd. At least he doesn't have to focus on coaching....Thank god.

2015 Draft - Any 99 prospects expecting to make the jump from junior to the OHL next year ???

I'll touch base on a few points. Great roster devils55!

OA Situation - I think it'll be LeBlanc, Clark and Bourne

Prospects Making the Team - Lagunov, had a fairly decent year in the OJHL with Burlington for a 14th round pick. Kleine as well from the 98 draft might make the jump. As far as 99's McFarland could see time if he's improved his skating, the Ottawa guys intrigue me - Titus and Walsh.

Goalie Situation - A lot believe rides on what Cayden Primeau decides, if Boyd (new GM) could lure him over it's be a great addition. If not, a trade for OA or older goalie might work. I'm OK with whoever the Petes don't want. Mancina or Wells.

devils55

Mar 9, 2012
Nylander's situation depends on the team who drafts him. I believe him and his dad want him playing pro hockey next year. Especially that Richmond is Head coach now, M.Nylander wont be back behind the bench, he will most likely bring in his own guys. They'll want him to do the same route as his older brother, worked out pretty well.

DMB is a big question mark right now. Its not often you see an OA import player, however if he ends up getting drafted you might see him stay in NA, and maybe even in the A or East, OHL is also a possibility.

I have a hard time believing Bourne will be an OA on a team expecting to make a big run in the East, but Boyd is a big fan I believe.

The majority of the minutes next year will be played by the
top 6
Mcleod, Mcleod, Tippett, Bastian, Clark,(one of DMB or Nylander I hope)
Nishnikov and import pick will also see minutes.

Top 3 d-man
Hague, Day, Leblanc.
Gibson Osmanski (4-5)
O'Donnell(6)

I think Walsh and Bourne might be on their way out.

Goalie situation depends on Primeau.

JHUT44

Sep 22, 2015
Peel Region
I am hearing the Mr Nylander is still an assistant coach. I have also heard Bourne is leaning towards the School route. There is a lot of moving pieces right now for next yr. Does Noshinkov sign ? Does Day get moved? Does Nylander or DMB return ? do you keep both Leblanc and Walsh? Who is the goalie? With still a lot of unanswered questions this team is still set up for a awesome yr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce