Missing Stats in Hockey

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Just want the opinion of the ATD community about this.
As far as I'm concerned Hockey is a sport missing a lot of statistics so I'm just trying to make a list of all the none-existing stats that would be huge for maniacs like us.

I'll start with a couple of ideas:

- Player's time of puck possession ( would be huge to see who control the game-pace , change the game more between players with similar statistic , ect...probably the most difficult stat to compile )

- Posts ( would just be awesome )

- 1st/2nd Assists ( might already exist but not enough exposure )

- Number of Fights

Goalies:

- Statistics while leading by 1 goal

- Statistics while the score is tie

- Statistics while being behind by 1 goal

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Didn't found them so they're lacking exposure , let,s give it to them.

any other ideas?

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
% of completed transition pass from a defenseman to his forwards ( let's say it has to start from his own zone and cross at least his own blue line. )

Would be pretty useful to separate the defensemen that are underrated offensively because of the lack of points and the true exclusively defensive defenseman with total lack of any transition game.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Interesting. I think a large number of points for defensemen are secondary assists off transition passes, so in a way assist totals (at least even strength ones) measure the transition game from defensemen after ww2.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Interesting. I think a large number of points for defensemen are secondary assists off transition passes, so in a way assist totals (at least even strength ones) measure the transition game from defensemen after ww2.

Agree & Disagree.

SOME transition passes will lead to assists , but almost ALL transition passes will lead to an ''attack'' or at least chances of offensive time depending on the quality of forwards , which is also a major factor on which defensemen will compile secondary assists and which will see their transition passes go to waste by passing it to the Michael Cammalleri's of this world. ( see what I did there? :) )

Not to mention transition passes help getting out of your zone.How many times have you watched a game where the opponant dominated because it was always an adventure to get out.

Last edited:

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
i think teams keep many stats like those, but do not publish them.

also stats like successful offensive zone entry, passing %, puck retrieval, number of times possession ends in defensive zone.

i think most stats besides points and wins were originally recorded by teams and were later adopted by NHL.

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
How about something along the lines as "corner battles". how many times the player comes out with the puck, etc. There should be a stat for penalties drawn

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
-"Knockdowns" or success % of holding the blue line for dmen
-Successful/Unsuccessful Pinches by dmen (As well have a side stat of resulting 2 on 1's)
-Breakout pass success % for dman
-As said above "corner battles won"

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Holy ***** Darryl Sittler has a career 44 NHL Fights!

*Watches stock rise*

sooo.... three per season? Not really a big deal.

How about something along the lines as "corner battles". how many times the player comes out with the puck, etc. There should be a stat for penalties drawn

There are already stats kept for penalties drawn. The best agitators and best players overall (the ones who always have the puck, who are toughest to stop legally) always lead the league in this category.

I agree that puck possession time would be the most interesting.

I would also like to see the giveaway stat divided by puck possession time. Then we'll see a stat that could really reflect who the giving trees are (I imagine it will be a lot of immobile 3rd pairing defensemen who handle the puck like a live grenade), and not just who has the puck the most and is bound to make some giveaways.

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
sooo.... three per season? Not really a big deal.

Just another positive towards Sittler, recently watched a DVD Stoneberg picked up from the HHOF and the pimping on that Video of Sittler was immense. Will watch and post what was said by the end of the draft.

Little timbit from hockeyfights.com regarding one of two Turgeon career fights:

Turgeon threw some punches with his gloves on. Hrkac dropped his right glove and landed a shot that sent Turgeon down for a few minutes. Great KO. Turgeon did not play the rest of the game.

(Awaits Seventies Cashman post)

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Just another positive towards Sittler, recently watched a DVD Stoneberg picked up from the HHOF and the pimping on that Video of Sittler was immense. Will watch and post what was said by the end of the draft.

Little timbit from hockeyfights.com regarding one of two Turgeon career fights:

(Awaits Seventies Cashman post)

in other news, Wayne Gretzky was a good playmaker and Sean Avery has a bit of an attitude....

...and Yes, Cashman was one of the best fighters of his day. Good for me, but you don't NEED a fighting presence on every line.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
-"Knockdowns" or success % of holding the blue line for dmen
-Successful/Unsuccessful Pinches by dmen (As well have a side stat of resulting 2 on 1's)
-Breakout pass success % for dman
-As said above "corner battles won"

I'd like to see success% of holding both blue lines for dmen. And the opposite % for forwards. Both depend on teammate support but would be useful.

Battles forced and battles won.

Some kind of forechecking stat. Maybe the % of breakout passs from opposing dmen that are pressured vs the % where the opposing dman has a clear look. Or just the % of opposing breakout passes that result in a turnover.

All of these would need a ton of data collection only teams would bother to track.

Has anyone seen the recent stuff at behindthenethockey.com tracking team passing patterns and player skating patterns? Some cool data recorded there, although not enough to draw conclusions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad