OT: Miscellaneous NHL Talk XVI (Playoff Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
LoD91: There wasn't going to be a penalty until they realized Backes was sleeping. Backes is hunched over and his head is level with Seabrook's shoulder, he drove through the player and didn't leap into his head. There's also some responsibility on the player by leaving himself vulnerable. Other than interference I don't see anything wrong with that hit. And the refs didnt either until Backes stayed down.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
LoD91: There wasn't going to be a penalty until they realized Backes was sleeping. Backes is hunched over and his head is level with Seabrook's shoulder, he drove through the player and didn't leap into his head. There's also some responsibility on the player by leaving himself vulnerable. Other than interference I don't see anything wrong with that hit. And the refs didnt either until Backes stayed down.

Backes was slightly hunched over not enough to place blame on him, it still would have been a high hit if he was in a full upright position. The puck was also a pretty good distance away from Backes. Seabrook was going for the kill shot & did so, he has to let up there. You could have called that a charge, interference, boarding, or a hit to head penalty.

I don't care how long it took the refs to make the call so long as it's the correct call & the refs got it right there.

dookie88

Aug 18, 2008
Germany
GKJ: Seabrook was not one of the Blackhawks taunting Backes. I noticed Toews and Keith. Seriously how ****ed up do you have to be to do that?

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
Backes was slightly hunched over not enough to place blame on him, it still would have been a high hit if he was in a full upright position. The puck was also a pretty good distance away from Backes. Seabrook was going for the kill shot & did so, he has to let up there. You could have called that a charge, interference, boarding, or a hit to head penalty.

I don't care how long it took the refs to make the call so long as it's the correct call & the refs got it right there.

Was this hit much different?:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

The principal point of contact is the chest so no it's not, Carcillo also had the puck on his stick a split second before the hit as where Backes never had the puck on his stick & the puck was a good distance away from him.

Carcillo's head was up at the last split second but he still wasn't in a full upright position & Rinaldo still avoided head contact. Carcillo also wasn't nearly as close to the boards compared to Backes.

I don't see the comparison here.

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
The principal point of contact is the chest so no it's not, Carcillo also had the puck on his stick a split second before the hit as where Backes never had the puck on his stick & the puck was a good distance away from him.

Carcillo's head was up at the last split second but he still wasn't in a full upright position & Rinaldo still avoided head contact. Carcillo also wasn't nearly as close to the boards compared to Backes.

I don't see the comparison here.

Oh come, on you didn't see Zac's elbow hit Carcillo's chin?! Stop it, it was a similar hit but because he got knocked out everyone's screaming.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Oh come, on you didn't see Zac's elbow hit Carcillo's chin?! Stop it, it was a similar hit but because he got knocked out everyone's screaming.

Not the initial point of contact & I just gave a bunch of examples as to why it wasn't similar. It was similar in the sense that both were big hits but that's about where it ends. Carcillo knew at a certain point that the hit was coming even if it was at the last second & bailed out. Backes on the other hand didn't have the privilege & rightfully so since he never had the puck nor was it even close to him. The onus was completely on Seabrook to let up & he didn't now he's going to sit a few games.

Anyway I guess me & every other national analyst is out to lunch on this one because I haven't seen one yet defend this hit but Mike Milbury who also did a complete 180 today by changing his stance from victim blaming Backes to saying Seabrook should get the max 5 games.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It should have been five.

Backes will be very lucky if he isn't out for weeks.

nevermore

Cap space since 2005
Oct 25, 2007
The 2014 Playoffs, were we see more penalties called than in the regular season. At least it feels like it.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
healthyscratch
Shouldn't have been anything more than 2 minutes for interference. Penalizing the outcome is a joke.

cmon. Elbow leads, left his feet, puck was away from Backes, head was principal point of contact. Seabrook did NOTHING right...and I like both Seabrook AND Backes.

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
cmon. Elbow leads, left his feet, puck was away from Backes, head was principal point of contact. Seabrook did NOTHING right...and I like both Seabrook AND Backes.

Elbow leads and left his feet??? What are you watching?

His elbow is tucked to his body and he doesn't leave his feet. Am I blind? Backes is crouched down a little bit leaving his head level with Seabrook's shoulder.

SEABonBackes2.gif

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
You can't target the head like that whether you use the elbow or the shoulder.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Elbow leads and left his feet??? What are you watching?

His elbow is tucked to his body and he doesn't leave his feet. Am I blind? Backes is crouched down a little bit leaving his head level with Seabrook's shoulder.

SEABonBackes2.gif

You can still tuck your elbow and strike with it, Seabrook did it. And while I won't back off "left his feet", "launching himself" would be a better description.

I watched your gif and still saw everything I mentioned in the previous post. You may indeed be blind :laugh:

dookie88

Aug 18, 2008
Germany
Yeah that was unbelievable

I remember 3 or 4 years ago during pretty much every broadcast there was talk about "respect amongst players" and how the lack of it is a real threat etc.

I mean, it doesn't get a lot more disrespectful than what Toews did.

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
You can still tuck your elbow and strike with it, Seabrook did it. And while I won't back off "left his feet", "launching himself" would be a better description.

I watched your gif and still saw everything I mentioned in the previous post. You may indeed be blind :laugh:

Ok so now he launched himself but his skates didn't leave the ice until the contact caused his skates to come off the ice. The 7 on his sleeve hit Backes in the nose, and the 7 isn't on his elbow.

This hit is no different than most every hit Zac Rinaldo throws.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Ok so now he launched himself but his skates didn't leave the ice until the contact caused his skates to come off the ice. The 7 on his sleeve hit Backes in the nose, and the 7 isn't on his elbow.

I said I wasn't revoking the "feet off the ice" argument. They still were. He launched himself at Backes' head.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ

If Rinaldo threw that hit he'd be suspended for 30+ games and ripped apart by every single member of the media. Watch his left skate prior to making contact, you cannot see it clearly in that gif as Keith obstructs the view, but he does leave his feet and clearly targets the head. It doesn't matter whether its an elbow or not.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The league actually only slapped him for Charging & Interference, they made no mention of targeting the head but they very well could have but that would have also resulted in more games if they tacked that on as well.

They gave him the Charging because they claimed he came along way & the Interference they deemed Backes never had possession of the puck & the puck wasn't even close to him, they placed the onus on Seabrook & claimed he could have let up seeing as Backes was vulnerable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad