OT: Miscellaneous NHL Talk XV (Magic Numbers in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Old Thread

Playoff stretch drive information:

Metropolitan Division:
Team | GR | Points | ROW | MN - Div | MN - WC | Notes
Y - Pittsburgh | 0 | 109 | 44 | -- | -- | Pittsburgh will play Columbus in round #1
X - NY Rangers | 0 | 96 | 41 |-- | -- | The Rangers will play Philiadelphia in round #1
X - Philadelphia | 0 | 94 | 39 | -- | -- | Philadelphia will play New York in round #1
X - Columbus | 0 | 93 | 38 | -- | -- | Columbus will play Pittsburgh in round #1
Washington | -- | -- | -- | -- | -- | Washington cannot make the playoffs New Jersey | -- | -- | -- | -- | -- | New Jersey cannot make the playoffs Carolina | -- | -- | -- | -- | -- | Carolina cannot make the playoffs NY Islanders | -- | -- | -- | -- | -- | The Islanders cannot make the playoffs

Atlantic Division:
Team | GR | Points | ROW | MN - Div | MN - WC | Notes
Z - Boston | 0 | 117 | 51 | -- | -- | Boston will play Detroit in round #1
X - Tampa Bay | 0 | 101 | 38 | -- | -- | Tampa will play Montreal in round #1
X - Montreal | 0 | 100 | 40 | -- | -- | Montreal will play Tampa in round #1
X - Detroit | 0 | 93 | 34 | -- | -- | Detroit will play Boston in round #1
Toronto | -- | -- | -- | -- | -- | Toronto cannot make the playoffs Ottawa | -- | -- | -- | -- | -- | Ottawa cannot make the playoffs Florida | -- | -- | -- | -- | -- | Florida cannot make the playoffs Buffalo | -- | -- | -- | -- | -- | Buffalo cannot make the playoffs

Glossary:
  • GR: Games Remaining
  • ROW: Regulation and Overtime Wins (first tiebreaker)
  • MN - Div: Magic Number to qualify for the playoffs with one of the three divisional spots
  • MN - WC: Magic Number to qualify for the playoffs with one of the two wild card spots
  • If the Magic Number is greater than a team's Games Remaining x 2, then that team does not control its own destiny
  • X: Clinched a playoff spot
  • Y: Clinched the division
  • Z: Clinched the conference

*Tables updated through games played on April 13, 2014.

Last edited:

kammy

Jun 29, 2007
Its pretty obvious we are playing the Rags in the 1st round, and the Pens in the 2nd round, which means if we make it past those teams, we will most likely be facing the Bruins in the ECF.

I think we can beat both the Rags and Pens, but the Bruins are stacked once again and IMO could win it all again.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Its pretty obvious we are playing the Rags in the 1st round, and the Pens in the 2nd round, which means if we make it past those teams, we will most likely be facing the Bruins in the ECF.

I think we can beat both the Rags and Pens, but the Bruins are stacked once again and IMO could win it all again.

Yea and I bet everyone single person on here would be happy with series wins over the rangers and pens and taking the bruins to 7.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Then, according to this article, the 2nd round is just highest vs lowest and 2 middle against each other of the remaining 4 teams in each conference. I seem to remember reading that the 2nd round was still inter-division, but am relieved to see it otherwise.

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
The article is wrong.

It's astonishing how difficult it is to find a straightforward explanation. This is from the NHL website:
The teams finishing second and third in each division will play in the first round of the playoffs. There is no reseeding as the tournament moves to the second round and winners of that series advance to the conference championship series and the right to play in the Stanley Cup Final.

Clear as mud.

Incidentally, I noted when I visited NHL.com that Claude is the NHL's third star for March.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
So hypothetically if the Bruins, Habs, Flyers, & Red Wings win the matchups would be Bruins vs Red Wings & Habs vs Flyers?

Assuming you have the Wings beating Pittsburgh, the second round would be Flyers/Wings and Bruins/Habs.

To make it clear, as it stands today:

Metro:

Series A: (1) Penguins vs (WC1) Red Wings
Series B: (2) Rangers vs (3) Flyers

Winners from A & B play each other.

Atlantic:

Series C: (1) Bruins vs (WC2) Blue Jackets
Series D: (2) Canadiens vs (3) Lightning

Winners from C & D play each other.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
They should just seed the top 8 teams from each conference, with the division winners getting the top two seeds. The matchups would be pretty much the same and there would be no confusion.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Everytime I read about that play off system, when finishing the article I am like "oh, so that is how it works." The next day I am again - "how the hell does it work?"

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
In reading the latest "Fix the Leafs" thread on the main boards, I was struck by an idea and am posting it here just to get it out of my mind: Phaneuf straight up for Coburn

There's much to be said against such a deal: Phaneuf's 7 x $7m contract versus Coburn's $4.5m cap hit and the whole "suck it, Phaneuf" rivalry with Hartnell. Plus, Phaneuf always seems good for a poor play late in important games. To counter this, Phaneuf is closer to a top-pairing defenseman than Coburn with much more offensive upside and the age is a wash (P 28 vs C 29), and we all know that Coburn is prone to frequent brain farts (though less this year).

With the toxic atmosphere that will only get worse if Toronto misses the playoffs, I think the Leaf FO would be open to moving Phaneuf for under his perceived value.

I'm offering this for discussion, and am not emotionally attached to the notion, so I won't take it personally if anyone vomits all over it.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I think if you bring Phaneuf to Philly it would be to play with or on another pairing as Coburn. It wouldn't make us a better team.

Don't like it though, not at that price. Nor would I like what Toronto would want back for him.

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010
Ehh I wouldn't trade Coburn for Phaneuf. Maybe that's just me but Coburn is more reliable and is a leader on this team. I'd prefer not to lose him for the a hope that Phanuef rebounds.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
In reading the latest "Fix the Leafs" thread on the main boards, I was struck by an idea and am posting it here just to get it out of my mind: Phaneuf straight up for Coburn

There's much to be said against such a deal: Phaneuf's 7 x $7m contract versus Coburn's $4.5m cap hit and the whole "suck it, Phaneuf" rivalry with Hartnell. Plus, Phaneuf always seems good for a poor play late in important games. To counter this, Phaneuf is closer to a top-pairing defenseman than Coburn with much more offensive upside and the age is a wash (P 28 vs C 29), and we all know that Coburn is prone to frequent brain farts (though less this year).

With the toxic atmosphere that will only get worse if Toronto misses the playoffs, I think the Leaf FO would be open to moving Phaneuf for under his perceived value.

I'm offering this for discussion, and am not emotionally attached to the notion, so I won't take it personally if anyone vomits all over it.

From a hockey standpoint I don't really think that is a significant upgrade to the defense swapping out Coburn for Phaneuf. Phaneuf's better in the opposing zone while Coburn is better in his own zone.

Then you add in Phaneuf's contract into the equation & I would pass personally but I don't think he's as terrible as his rep amongst opposing fans is. I just don't see a significant gain in doing that type of trade I would rather have both on the team at the same time.

I really put no stock into the Hartnell thing fwiw, Hartnell's very good at getting under people's skin & Phaneuf's a sucker for it every time but I don't think it's any personal. It's just two guys playing a game.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
If we are getting Phaneuf I want him to play WITH Coburn, I wouldn't deal him for Phaneuf. That said like I said in the other thread, or was it this thread? idk. I don't think I would be comfortable moving roster players for an upgrade on D unless the roster players involved were Lecavalier and/or Grossmann.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad