Miscellaneous NHL Talk XIX - 2018/19 Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Maybe they spent assets they didn’t have to spend in 1 year, likely wanting the immediacy and certainty. But damn the Rangers influx of young talent has been tremendous.

Zibanejad, Buchnevich, Kakko, Fox, Shestyorkin, DeAngelo, Chytil, Kravtsov, Andersson, Miller, Lundkvist. Add in the Jets 1st rounder after an early exist. The Stars 1st potentially. It’s a viable UFA option for a big name. And it’s pretty easy to argue they’ve lost good value in things like the McDonagh trade. Could be even better.

I didn’t/don’t like some of the prospects they took back in trades but they made so many trades over the last few years for futures it doesn’t really matter much.

They like other teams took advantage of Ottawa being cheap with Zibanejad.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I’d imagine New York wants to get better next year, probably going to spend some money in UFA this year. So that’s likely where Carolina gained back some leverage.

Sure, and Fox prefers this scenario too. No drama, just moving forward while getting exactly what he wanted. The Hurricanes did well leveraging all of that to get a second pick here.

By itself, it's understandable from all angles. In the big picture, it's just another piece of evidence that teams are willing to work with each other rather than play hardball.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
crap, this is bad, the flyers have to do something now or else we are going to be the new oilers.

source.gif

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Their outspokenness at the end of the season that they need another top center, to me, says exactly that - they are getting impatient. I don’t think he’s gotta take a step forward next year, he’s gotta take a leap like Marner did.

After reading this post I literally just went back and watched the entire 35 minute end of season presser. No such statements were made about a 2C. Maybe he said something elsewhere I'm not recalling, but it certainly wasn't then.

Fletcher stated he'd be open to adding anywhere up front. The only specific positions addressed were adding a veteran defenseman and a back up goaltender.

Regarding Nolan Patrick, he stated that he will certainly get to full-time 2C status eventually. He praised NP's defense for his age, reiterated that he's only 20 years old, and said he's one of the only players that carries the puck through the neutral zone with speed. Fletcher also stated he'd like Nolan to work on his shot and use it more often.

From what I can tell, the narrative surrounding a 2C aquisition seems media and fan driven. Fletcher was tepid, at best, in his reaction to the upcoming UFA market. I'm not sure how you got the impression on outspokenness.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Probably the stupidest thing anyone has posted here in a long time. Buh bye!

Lol when the kid shows me something to get excited about by all means. I hoped for more from a 2nd overall. If he proves me wrong this year, I’d absolutely love that.

He’s not my fav current Flyer and I don’t like the injury history. Calm yourself Larry.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Lol when the kid shows me something to get excited about by all means. I hoped for more from a 2nd overall. If he proves me wrong this year, I’d absolutely love that.

He’s not my fav current Flyer and I don’t like the injury history. Calm yourself Larry.

Expectations for Patrick have been too high and people have been making excuses for him. It wasn't just deadhead either; plenty of people thought he'd score 60 points last year and/or be as good or better than Couts.

If we had Hischier instead there wouldn't be any talk of needing a 2C.

I think I am realistic about Patrick and I don't see him as some sort of All-Star but I think the skills are there and I believe he'll improve enough to be a solid 2C. I think the best thing for the organization is for Patrick/Frost to be our 2C/3C for the next several years and we should give them every opportunity to do it.

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Thing with players like Patrick is they often make a big jump, problem is you don't know when or if until it happens, but he was the consensus #1 pick the year before he was drafted coming off his age 17 junior season, so it's not like he's some "reach." The injuries set him back, and probably his style, physical two-way centers often take longer to mature than fast, skilled centers.

As far as the Rangers getting Fox, yeah, he's going to be a good offensive defenseman, but cost the Rangers possibly 2 2nd rd picks for a guy who was #66 coming out of the USHL, so he wasn't exactly an unknown quantity three years ago. Meanwhile, we got Zamula for squat. Rangers added a bunch of young talent, but if our young talent isn't good enough, what makes you think their young talent is better?

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
For all the talk about needing a 2C, the teams remaining in the playoffs are largely a group of one-line teams. Colorado, Dallas, Boston in particular. The Isles don't even have an elite top line.

Reactions: Tripod

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
After reading this post I literally just went back and watched the entire 35 minute end of season presser. No such statements were made about a 2C. Maybe he said something elsewhere I'm not recalling, but it certainly wasn't then.

Fletcher stated he'd be open to adding anywhere up front. The only specific positions addressed were adding a veteran defenseman and a back up goaltender.

From what I can tell, the narrative surrounding a 2C aquisition seems media and fan driven. Fletcher was tepid, at best, in his reaction to the upcoming UFA market. I'm not sure how you got the impression on outspokenness.

I don't think Fletcher has any intention of being pressured into the bad moves he made in Minnesota due to his owner.
And Scott/Holmgren, after firing his HC and GM, has little choice but to give Fletcher and AV a few years to make it work.

Patrick as 2C, Frost as 3C, Laughton as 4C, with Rubtsov, Bunnaman and Vorobyev in the wings, is probably as deep as most playoff teams.
Patrick as a 35 ES two way center, and Frost as a 30 ES 3C, would be fine, we made the playoffs with Filppula (27 ES), Patrick (22 ES), Laughton (19), Weal (18).

Same on defense, Ghost, Provorov, Sanheim, Myers, Gudas, Morin, Hagg, Friedman. A veteran defenseman would be a nice add, but no need to make a desperation move.

So I don't see Fletcher feeling any urgency to make a move, which isn't to say he won't make a few, but he has the breathing room to be patient and wait for the right deal to come along.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
**** Patrick.

I’ll say it, and hopefully he truly does prove me wrong but I’m a doubter. It’s not that he’s terrible but just wanted more.

Injured in his last 2 seasons here, and before arriving, on top of that.

Number 2 pick and that’s the guy you get. ****ing bull****. Kid needs to show up for more than half a season.

I think patience is best for Patrick situation

Look at how slow development for Strome was before landing in Chicago

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I think patience is best for Patrick situation

Look at how slow development for Strome was before landing in Chicago
Two mediocre years is disappointing but tolerable. Three would be a problem. This will be an important year for him. We need to see improvements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad