NHL Talk Miscellaneous NHL Discussion CIII: 2024 Stanley Cup Playoffs for Thee

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

Thread on Dallas’ drafting in recent years.

I don't think the NHL or the gen pop fanbase is ready for the discussion about how little hockey knowledge a GM needs.

(Before someone else yells at me about this, nowhere in here am I advocating for traditional scouting to be removed. You need both arms working to inform each other. It's a comment on what a GM actually does.)

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I don't think the NHL or the gen pop fanbase is ready for the discussion about how little hockey knowledge a GM needs.

(Before someone else yells at me about this, nowhere in here am I advocating for traditional scouting to be removed. You need both arms working to inform each other. It's a comment on what a GM actually does.)

Jason Robertson put up 32 points in 54 games as a 16 year old & then 81 points in 68 games as a 17 year old in the OHL as a late July birthday. Guys with those profiles are higher odds to hit than most others. I don’t care about his skating. I’m taking a bet on that profile every time in the back half of the first round range.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I think the NHL as a whole has the worst hiring process of all the major sports leagues. I don’t even care about Doan’s playing career or the fact the son didn’t play hockey because I don’t think that’s necessarily required to be good in that role. But I do value that Doan at least put in time in lower positions within a front office structure which seemingly the son didn’t. I don’t think it’s good in any industry to just jump straight to the top without getting that previous experience in lesser roles.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
What the hell is with the in-arena audio in this Bruins game? The crowd mics are pulsing in and out every other second during loud periods.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I really wonder what a Marner trade looks like. It’s only one year of control. Feels like they’re going to take back a large RHD with some term. They’re not going to trade him for a couple of picks unless they flip them.

*Edit* 8 seconds. Ok then.

Last edited:
Reactions: BernieParent

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I didn't post my sure to be terrible picks this year yet...

My likely incorrect suspicion is that the east matchups will all be pretty short series. Didn't pick a 7 game series, but I think Dallas/Vegas is the most likely candidate.

Rangers over Caps in 4
Canes over Isles in 5

Panthers over Lightning in 5
Bruins over Leafs in 5

Stars over Knights in 6
Avs over Jets in 6

Canucks over Preds in 5
Oilers over Kings in 6
Boston, you had one job. Almost a perfect round in the East for me.... assuming the Canes have their game in hand. :laugh:

Stupid Bruins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad