News Article: Mirtle: Maple Leafs Ownership Could Make Massive Changes if 'Really Disappointing First-Round Exit' Happens Again in the Playoffs

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Screenshot_20240411_185836.jpg

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Little playoff success with three of the best players in the league who've been here from the time they were drafted. New president and CEO of the company who just started and has no affiliation with anyone from within.

Not the least bit surprising if this happens if the Leafs do indeed have a short playoff run again. And I'm okay with it. Things need to change.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I’m surprised people didn’t know already that MLSE would be unhappy losing again. Seems pretty obvious

Reactions: CaptainCrunch17

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I believe I read an interview with the new CEO and he at least said all the right things to get you excited about all the teams MLSE owns. Now he just has to go and prove it.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
Off topic but I have a lot of respect for mirtle and his journalism. He's very grounded and balanced I think. His buddy Jonas can have some odd takes but Mirtle is a pretty straight shooter

Reactions: Menzinger

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
I’m surprised people didn’t know already that MLSE would be unhappy losing again. Seems pretty obvious
except they've done nothing so far with 1 series win in 7 seasons. but it seems obvious that major changes will come if they do lose again. the 1 yr deals treliving gave out was a sign to me that this group got 1 last chance

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Perhaps somebody high up is indirectly sending a message to Shanny, the coaching staff and players just before the playoffs start. Some might call it a wake up call.
Nah, it's just standard Toronto "journalism". Do you really believe that Rogers and Bell are sitting around making threats? It doesn't work that way.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Off topic but I have a lot of respect for mirtle and his journalism. He's very grounded and balanced I think. His buddy Jonas can have some odd takes but Mirtle is a pretty straight shooter

Mirtle is at his best when he discusses more front office/league business stuff.

Jonas does some interesting profile coverages of players, especially about their backgrounds (his problem is he sometimes doubles down on bad predictions he makes earlier in the season and doesn't like to admit he was off - ie like the Domi signing)

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
So… Mr. shanaplan… this is your last shot.

You better hope Auston, Mitch, Willie, John, and Mo come through for you this year.

If not… you’re going wherever Babcock went to.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
except they've done nothing so far with 1 series win in 7 seasons. but it seems obvious that major changes will come if they do lose again. the 1 yr deals treliving gave out was a sign to me that this group got 1 last chance
What do you consider’major changes’?

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
About time people recognized what the team is with the core 4 leading the way and grew tired of it.
Best news I’ve heard in years. :thumbu:
I hope you know that with the current contract situation, the only change to the core 4 possible now is letting either Marner or Tavares (or both) walk in free agency. For nothing.

Reactions: ACC1224

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
How much money have they lost by being punted early in the playoffs for 8 straight years ? How many Leafs fans have stopped watching the payoffs once the Leafs are out? At some point, somebody has to say enough is enough and I think the dummies at MLSEL are close to their breaking point. Tre in for Dubas looks like it has made a positive impact on the team. Maybe another first round exit will be a signal that it is time for a change at the top, behind the bench and possibly the core.
The Canadian TV contract is a big motivator. If SN is losing money again the next contract (if anyone actually bids on it) will be way less. We all know who the MSLE ownership group consists of.

Reactions: ToneDog

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
All 3 I listed can easily happen if they want it to
Sure they could fire Shanahan as well with a year left and not bring any ufas back but I dont think that will be all that impactful for next year.

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
I hope you know that with the current contract situation, the only change to the core 4 possible now is letting either Marner or Tavares (or both) walk in free agency. For nothing.
I’m not infatuated with the core so it’s not a huge concern for me. I have very little faith they will lead us to a cup so if management decides to allocate their cap space elsewhere that’s okay.
I get it, a lot of posters here have man crushes on this guy and that guy and would be devastated if they donned another sweater but I only care about winning a Stanley Cup and I don’t care who leads us to it.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I’m not infatuated with the core so it’s not a huge concern for me. I have very little faith they will lead us to a cup so if management decides to allocate their cap space elsewhere that’s okay.
I get it, a lot of posters here have man crushes on this guy and that guy and would be devastated if they donned another sweater but I only care about winning a Stanley Cup and I don’t care who leads us to it.
:laugh: What does any of that have to do with the quote you replied to?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

I think people are curious as to where change could happen.

If it's just coaching...I don't know if that's enough given how many times we've run it back but as everyone has spoken about it....

Matthews - re-signed recently and you keep him, 1C are hard to find
Nylander - even more recently re-signed
Marner and Tavares - NMC

The group really needs a top end impact RD and probably one more solid top 4 D to turn the back end into a respectable group.

Depth seems to be coming by the way of our prospects but 3C is probably a place to look at as a problem area for a few reasons. Somehow we haven't drafted a centre that can play in the NHL other than Matthews in 7 years and it's actually a position that can dictate how successful you'll be in the league.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Sure they could fire Shanahan as well with a year left and not bring any ufas back but I dont think that will be all that impactful for next year.
that's a different conversation. i listed major changes. We also dont even know what Pelley wants who now has full autonomy

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I think people are curious as to where change could happen.

If it's just coaching...I don't know if that's enough given how many times we've run it back but as everyone has spoken about it....

Matthews - re-signed recently and you keep him, 1C are hard to find
Nylander - even more recently re-signed
Marner and Tavares - NMC

The group really needs a top end impact RD and probably one more solid top 4 D to turn the back end into a respectable group.

Depth seems to be coming by the way of our prospects but 3C is probably a place to look at as a problem area for a few reasons. Somehow we haven't drafted a centre that can play in the NHL other than Matthews in 7 years and it's actually a position that can dictate how successful you'll be in the league.
You can wonder but if you follow the team you know there isn’t much that can be done for another year.

that's a different conversation. i listed major changes. We also dont even know what Pelley wants who now has full autonomy
He’ll want to win like everyone else. He’s not a hockey guy so he won’t be directing personnel moves. He can remove Shanahan, Treliving can remove Keefe, that’s it for anything major.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad