Mirtle/Friedman: Wings to play in 2017 Winter Classic against Toronto

NYRangers3061

Lets Go Rangers!!!
Jan 9, 2015
Rangerstown
Really? Ridiculous enough that Chicago is in one every year, but at least they are against different teams. This is the EXACT same game as a few years ago. WC is getting old.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
It is the Leafs 100th year next year... This is the least surprising news ever. They need an American team in the game and we are their biggest American rival.

I thought they might kick around the idea of Toronto vs Montreal and try smoothing it over with CBC and Sportsnet, but my guess is NBC or the Canadian TV companies rejected that idea. Detroit is the natural insert.

They will probably get some flack for it being the same two teams in the matchup so close. But I am not sure what else they could have done.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Not on a football Sunday. I'm talking NATIONAL audience, not just Detroit.

This is a problem regardless of the team you select. Good news for the NHL our team doesn't play meaningful games in Week 17...

So hooray we don't have to tune in to see them win only to drop three spots down in the draft this year!:cry::laugh:

You will lose some Lions fans. You would lose a lot of Hawks fans and Rangers fans as well because of football Sunday. That is the fact of going up against the NFL, but they are committed to this date, so it isn't surprising. I know I will be watching the hockey game and there are a lot of hockey fans that will be doing the same. Though I would watch Minnesota vs Dallas over the NFL if that was the winter classic anyway.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It is the Leafs 100th year next year... This is the least surprising news ever. They need an American team in the game and we are their biggest American rival.

I thought they might kick around the idea of Toronto vs Montreal and try smoothing it over with CBC and Sportsnet, but my guess is NBC or the Canadian TV companies rejected that idea. Detroit is the natural insert.

They will probably get some flack for it being the same two teams in the matchup so close. But I am not sure what else they could have done.
I guess they could market it as an outdoor game re-match because it would be the first one in NHL history. Although for that to work would this need to be a Winter Classic and not a Stadium Series or Heritage Classic? It was reported by Howard Berger (Former Leafs reporter for those in Detroit who never heard of him) the NHL wanted a Leafs-Rangers Winter Classic at BMO Field in Toronto, however NBC said no to that.

Tatar

Mar 26, 2011
FL300
How about some outdoor games in Europe?

New York vs Detroit in Stockholm

Minnesota vs Florida in Helsinki

Washington vs Tampa Bay in Moscow

Mantha Poodoo

Playoff Beard
Jun 5, 2008
Ultimately I'm down with it, but why not Wings-Habs? Harken back to ye olden days hopefully before Howe and some of the others are no longer with us.

PuckDynasty

May 3, 2014
Who cares? The NHL took a really cool concept that was actually getting attention and killed it. A hockey game outside, big deal. We've seen it enough times. They can only do so many alumni games and so many family skates to hype them. They're not an event anymore, just another regular season NHL game outside. Don't care.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes
    • Updated: