Minors in Europe?

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
The standard of hockey in Europe is nothing short of abysmal and only a small percentage are up to a ok standard. NHL teams have decided to work with teams closer to them, why jeopardise there growth for them to play for a team in Europe.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
This won't work. Most NHL teams strive to have a close relationship with their AHL affiliates so they can send development coaching their easily. Look at the proximity between a lot of teams. Leafs, Habs and San Jose have their teams in the same city (Laval is the closest MTL suburb). Buffalo has their's in Rochester, and there are a bunch of other similar ones. (Dallas/Austin, Colorado-Denver/Loveland-Fort Collins, NYC/Hartford, etc).

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
NHL Europe was a smash hit.....
And KHL in Europe was a complete flop. Because one was a lot better than local leagues and the other was roughly the same.

What does this European AHL offer over European leagues? Why would fans in Stockholm watch it over watching Djurgardens? That's why Jokerit is the only KHL team in actual Western hockey coutry as well. And it's losing money like there's no tomorrow.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
And KHL in Europe was a complete flop. Because one was a lot better than local leagues and the other was roughly the same.

What does this European AHL offer over European leagues? Why would fans in Stockholm watch it over watching Djurgardens? That's why Jokerit is the only KHL team in actual Western hockey coutry as well. And it's losing money like there's no tomorrow.
Ugh I meant to write that NFL Europe was a smash hit. I agree with you.

Reactions: God Bless Mr Coffee

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Yeah, I guess you're right. A continent that currently supports many national leagues can't support those same teams if you add a few NHL prospects into the mix. Suddenly, the viewers will disperse and the vets that already play there will start demanding millions more in salary.

You don't get it. Most europeans would never abandon their local team for some new one.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
The Pacific division just purchased an AHL division to movie it to the west coast. 0.0000000% chance that they then move them 8-12 times zones away.

Benedict Kovalchuk

Kovalchuk: A spy?
Jul 19, 2011
CASCADIA NOW
Wait, you think the AHL is "dumpster tier"?
It isn't dumpster tier but it is quite overrated by North Americans, especially on HF. Like I regularly see people slotting it as the number #2 league in the world, when it is almost definitely behind the KHL and SHL at least. It probably is #4-5, but it is hard to rank it because it is primarily a developmental league, all the other ones are more oriented towards competition. Which is also a big reason why OP's idea is so poorly thought out, who's paying top dollar for a foreign developmental league? Why not your own local team where the quality is better, more people like it, and you have an actual connection to it? I don't think it's some big surprise that the hockey community in Europe isn't interested in becoming one giant farm team.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
It isn't dumpster tier but it is quite overrated by North Americans, especially on HF. Like I regularly see people slotting it as the number #2 league in the world, when it is almost definitely behind the KHL and SHL at least. It probably is #4-5, but it is hard to rank it because it is primarily a developmental league, all the other ones are more oriented towards competition. Which is also a big reason why OP's idea is so poorly thought out, who's paying top dollar for a foreign developmental league? Why not your own local team where the quality is better, more people like it, and you have an actual connection to it? I don't think it's some big surprise that the hockey community in Europe isn't interested in becoming one giant farm team.

I agree with that, I think the highest argument you could make for it is #3 but I personally don't see it being better than the SHL. It's still some quality hockey though, certainly not "dumpster tier." It has lost luster in recent years because of the trend to send really good young players straight into the NHL. The constant callups hurt regularity, but the playoffs are super entertaining down there.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
The only way this could easily work is if one team opts out of the AHL and decides an affiliate system that will have their players playing in Europe for one specific team. We'll just say the New York Rangers opt out of the NHL, then decide they want to test the waters in Europe and place a minor-league team in Sweden that plays in the SEL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad