Minors in Europe?

Cataphract

Nov 27, 2018
There's been a lot of talk about having NHL teams in European cities and even having a whole division moved there. There's lots of reasons this wouldn't work, no matter how cool some people think it is. Travel, schedule, time differences, etc.
But what if the AHL would move to Europe and become the EHL? There wouldn't need to be too much intercontinental travel, and the NHL would get a lot of visibility in Europe. The Europeans would get to see many young prospects and players who just couldn't crack the NHL roster. Attendance doesn't have to be quite as high as for an NHL team, the two leagues wouldn't have to rival each other, and it would give more visibility and new audiences for the players. Of course, this is not flawless either, but in my opinion this would be a much better way to grow the game than having actual NHL teams in Europe. What do you guys think?

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Nobody is interested in dumpster tier hockey in Europe. They actually would need roster quality and all the better vets play for more money than what AHL pays.

Cataphract

Nov 27, 2018
youd be screwed if you played and had a few guys get injured, or your goalie gets injured

It's not like it takes forever to fly across the Atlantic, but that is a minor issue that NHL teams no doubt would prefer not to exist. Vancouver's AHL affiliate is in the state of New York. That's not exactly easy either, but they're pulling it off.

Cataphract

Nov 27, 2018
Nobody is interested in dumpster tier hockey in Europe. They actually would need roster quality and all the better vets play for more money than what AHL pays.

AHL could afford to pay better, if they would sell more tickets. If they signed vets from European leagues to play with the prospects, I bet European hockey fans would be interested in watching that. It would be more like combining European leagues with the AHL.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
AHL could afford to pay better, if they would sell more tickets. If they signed vets from European leagues to play with the prospects, I bet European hockey fans would be interested in watching that. It would be more like combining European leagues with the AHL.

Jeez... 1st guy ever with this idea. There is no ticket monies in a sport that is behind volleyball in Europe. AHL doesn't bring anything new, except fighting and dump/chase.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
There's an important reason that teams have been moving their top minor league affiliates closer - not further away. Callups (especially emergency ones) would be cumbersome.
Ahl is good to get euros used to the smaller ice as well. / you probably want your call ups playing on it too so they can make an easier transition

Cataphract

Nov 27, 2018
Jeez... 1st guy ever with this idea. There is no ticket monies in a sport that is behind volleyball in Europe. AHL doesn't bring anything new, except fighting and dump/chase.

Yeah, I guess you're right. A continent that currently supports many national leagues can't support those same teams if you add a few NHL prospects into the mix. Suddenly, the viewers will disperse and the vets that already play there will start demanding millions more in salary.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

Cataphract

Nov 27, 2018
Ahl is good to get euros used to the smaller ice as well. / you probably want your call ups playing on it too so they can make an easier transition

Playing in Europe doesn't have to mean they play on a larger surface. They made the rink smaller for the Global Series games too. They can play with full NHL rules, even if the game is on the wrong continent.

Cataphract

Nov 27, 2018
You don't seem like you want feedback. Why did you start a thread, then?

I'm new here. I didn't know you were supposed to shut up after you opened the thread. I'm not allowed to disagree with people who comment on this thread and point out why I think differently? Well, I couldn't give shit about that. If I have an opinion about something in my thread, I'll say it when I feel like it.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
It's not like it takes forever to fly across the Atlantic, but that is a minor issue that NHL teams no doubt would prefer not to exist. Vancouver's AHL affiliate is in the state of New York. That's not exactly easy either, but they're pulling it off.

Boston to London = 6 hours 25 minute flight...plus 5 hours time difference

Boston to Providence = 50 minute drive

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
I'm new here. I didn't know you were supposed to shut up after you opened the thread. I'm not allowed to disagree with people who comment on this thread and point out why I think differently? Well, I couldn't give **** about that. If I have an opinion about something in my thread, I'll say it when I feel like it.

Welcome to the boards. Enjoy your discussion.

Reactions: MirusCz

lamini

Nov 30, 2011
Prostějov
In Europe you either have countries/cities that care about hockey and they'll have their team with long history and long local rivalries or countries/cities that don't care about hockey at all.

AHL isn't product that would create interrest in those non hockey countries (doubt even NHL is) and fans of existing clubs from hockey countries wouldn't go from their long time teams to follow product that is about the same level as their old team

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
There's been a lot of talk about having NHL teams in European cities and even having a whole division moved there. There's lots of reasons this wouldn't work, no matter how cool some people think it is. Travel, schedule, time differences, etc.
But what if the AHL would move to Europe and become the EHL? There wouldn't need to be too much intercontinental travel, and the NHL would get a lot of visibility in Europe. The Europeans would get to see many young prospects and players who just couldn't crack the NHL roster. Attendance doesn't have to be quite as high as for an NHL team, the two leagues wouldn't have to rival each other, and it would give more visibility and new audiences for the players. Of course, this is not flawless either, but in my opinion this would be a much better way to grow the game than having actual NHL teams in Europe. What do you guys think?

Here in Europe teams have a second or minor league team and most play in and around the main team--maybe one town over.

MrThomas

Oct 31, 2017
Moscow
I think a conference or at least a division is much better than AHL which is not that interesting. We have much better leagues in Europe already. Btw, all the stats leaders in NHL are European at the momet, of course ;)

Reactions: Frannel

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
There's already teams in Europe. A lot of them develop players for the NHL. I don't see the need to compete with those local leagues. And why yank away profitable AHL teams from their AHL cities?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So you want to move a successful league over to Europe where their ice isn't even the same as ours over here? That and teams can barely even get callups the day of if needed. Now you want them to fly from Europe and deal with an even longer Jet lag?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad