GDT: Minnesota Wild vs Nashville Predators - 12/20/2014 - "Fight Club" Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BurnsyMN

Mar 27, 2014
St Paul
Backstrom allowed some goals, but you have to look at the ones he allowed vs. the ones Kemps allowed. It should be Backy's net for a while. I wanted him gone this past summer and ragged on him so many times, but he's the best guy we have right now in that net. Way more confident than the other crease monkey. I feel better with him in net, you can't tell me the team doesn't feel better too.

I agree. I admit I ragged on him too and was hoping he'd be traded or just bought out. But this should be his net until further notice.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Backstrom allowed some goals, but you have to look at the ones he allowed vs. the ones Kemps allowed. It should be Backy's net for a while. I wanted him gone this past summer and ragged on him so many times, but he's the best guy we have right now in that net. Way more confident than the other crease monkey. I feel better with him in net, and you can't tell me the team doesn't feel better too. Starting Kuemper (especially at home) is nearly a guarantee that we're gonna fall behind the eight ball. Enough of forcing him to play out of his slump, Yeo.

Yeo kind of has to figure out a way to get these guys out of a slump because he really doesn't have much to rely on. This team is a mess right now. I feel sorry for Parise. He can't do it all but he's damn sure trying.

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
Spurgeon could have went to cover Pominville's man but it would have left the guy at the back door wide open for a tap-in goal.

PariseNation

I hope so
Apr 15, 2014
Twin Cities
Slowest Wild game I have attended in a long time...Seemed like we lost all the big faceoffs and couldn't cash in on transitions.

Did our 3rd goal even cross the line or is there an angle that shows the '3rd shot' crossing the line?

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
This goaltending. :shakehead

Koivu doesn't try hard enough to get OT goals.

15 points were handed out to Minnesota players tonight. He had 1.

Grats on the jinx btw.

You have got to be kidding me... :help:

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
This goaltending. :shakehead

You have got to be kidding me... :help:

He's on pace for like 42 points this year in a full season, which he hasn't played in five years. Pekka Rinne looked worse than both of our goalies tonight, and his one point was a secondary assist.

He's not a number one center, he's a good number two. You guys need to stop acting like he's just in a slump and he should be babied until he's out.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Just finished wathcing the game. I don't know, I don't know.. When ever you see some positives in the game, something bad will happen straight away.

Kuemper has a long way to go mentally. The problem isn't those few mistakes, they happen to everyone. But it's how you recover from them.

Billy Mays Here*

He's on pace for like 42 points this year in a full season, which he hasn't played in five years. Pekka Rinne looked worse than both of our goalies tonight, and his one point was a secondary assist.

He's not a number one center, he's a good number two. You guys need to stop acting like he's just in a slump and he should be babied until he's out.

Absolutely not. Every shot that beat Rinne tonight was a darn good scoring chance, whether it be a great move by Zucker, rebounds his defense didn't clear, or a beauty deflection by Parise. Kuemper on the other hand let in two goals that pretty much any one on this message board would have stopped.

However I agree with you on Koivu, he's no star forward and isn't anything more than a good no. 2.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Absolutely not. Every shot that beat Rinne tonight was a darn good scoring chance, whether it be a great move by Zucker, rebounds his defense didn't clear, or a beauty deflection by Parise. Kuemper on the other hand let in two goals that pretty much any one on this message board would have stopped.

However I agree with you on Koivu, he's no star forward and isn't anything more than a good no. 2.

Yeah to be honest with you I didn't watch much of this game, mostly just looked at his save percentage so I concede that to you.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012

You have questioned his effort level and work ethic while there's no proof of there being anything wrong with either. In that regard he is comparable to Parise. You're talking like he's useless. Fact is he has been getting points lately, his PPG is trending up and he's our best center. He might very well end up with 50-60 points which isn't too bad considering the start of the season. Last year I think he would've been around 65 points during a full season.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
bah, i had more fun at that game than i did at most of the ones i can remember scoring early and winning by that amount. Whatever.

Kuemper's problem--it's very clear--is mental. there's only so much teammates and coaches can do to pump his tires after he lets one in--that mental aspect of the game is huge for goalies and he's not going to be a regular starter (a solid one) until he figures out how to rebound during a game consistently. Backs problem is athleticism. unfortunately, he's older, and very worn, so there isn't much chance of that correcting itself.
Nino wasn't good. Zucker was very good. Coyle looked better than Granlund has all year. Pommenville had one of his best games of the year. And cooke is very welcome back. cooke and carter together...
We scored more goals on Rinne than anyone has all year. small consolation but still when i've been feeling sketchy about offense clicking it's a nice cookie to contemplate.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
I agree that Coyle actually looked pretty good and even at center. If he can keep that level of play up, that would be pretty cool.

I was so happy in the first with the way he went to the net and had that nice backhander.

Dude definitely has the tools when he wants to use them.

What's infuriating is the lack of consistency with this team, because they definitely have the ability to do quite well. And Keumps... Maybe we need to send him to some Yogi's in the Himalayas or something, but he needs to find himself.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
except for goal tending i thought we played excellent! CF has to come up with a solution for our net , with nothing cooking in iowa we need an outside the box fix.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
First goal, Spurgeon fails to clear, then gets knocked over, 2-on-1, Scandella takes the pass option, time and space for Jarnkrok.

Second goal, centering pass from behind goal line bounces off two players, a pipe, and Kuemper's back for the goal.

Third goal, Haula loses draw, Smith has clear lane to net, Kuemper late reaction.

Fourth goal, Suter and Brodziak fail to cover anyone, Forsberg shoots wide, misses, then gets his own rebound on a mostly empty net.

Fifth goal, Spurgeon completely screens Backstrom, Josi shoots the puck cleanly into the top corner.

OT goal, Pommer loses his guy who wheels around and has zero resistance in slot, Backstrom gets beat high blocker.

I don't see one goalie or the other having played drastically better on Saturday night. I saw a defense (especially Spurgeon and Suter) that looked just godawful.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
First goal, Spurgeon fails to clear, then gets knocked over, 2-on-1, Scandella takes the pass option, time and space for Jarnkrok.

Second goal, centering pass from behind goal line bounces off two players, a pipe, and Kuemper's back for the goal.

Third goal, Haula loses draw, Smith has clear lane to net, Kuemper late reaction.

Fourth goal, Suter and Brodziak fail to cover anyone, Forsberg shoots wide, misses, then gets his own rebound on a mostly empty net.

Fifth goal, Spurgeon completely screens Backstrom, Josi shoots the puck cleanly into the top corner.

OT goal, Pommer loses his guy who wheels around and has zero resistance in slot, Backstrom gets beat high blocker.

I don't see one goalie or the other having played drastically better on Saturday night. I saw a defense (especially Spurgeon and Suter) that looked just godawful.
They both have terrible save percantages it would be nice if the goalies could bail them out sometimes when the defense does make mistakes.

How is the team supposed have confidence when they don't have any with the goaltenders? Believe it or not these guys or humans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad