Minnesota Wild 2015 NHL Draft Preview

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
I hear that, but my concern is that once they had that pick they used it on Mario Lucia. Look at the seventh round of that draft and realize that they didn't like a single player still available, or who might be available in the third or the fourth, as much as they liked Mario Lucia.

The Stanley Cup Final was a pretty good indicator of the depth of that particular draft class.

Part of this draft preview was certainly my own dawning realization that this management team is nowhere near as competent as I once believed. I apologize for any confusion.

Yes and picking Bittner at 20 won't help that either.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Arguing who should have been picked is a different, and valid, arguement.

But it's usually pointless, because when get into the later rounds, it's 100% hindsight. Nobody here was distraught on draft day because we didn't pick Andrew Shaw or Ondrej Palat. Nobody had heard of them. It's not an organizational failure; 30 teams passed on a guy 6 different times.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
op, please clarify what you meant by org weakness "positionally all the fwd positions need more talent" really? we had 4-20G scorers, should have been 5. after a horrible first half we went 29-11-1 then beat a very good blues club! big deal we ran outta gas vs the nhl's best team that has years of chemistry loaded with allstars! the wild are improving. zucker was a good pick, brodin was a solid pick, dumba is looking like PK! nobody bats 1000. cheers. go wild!

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I actually like watching Mike Yeo's system but it takes elite scorers to win games in today's NHL. The Wild's talent level does not compare well with the rest of the west. This is especially true in the prospect ranks currently and it will be even more true by the end of the weekend.

Dallas, Edmonton, Los Angeles and Colorado all missed the playoffs as we know, but they will all add a blue-chip prospect or two to add to cores that are capable of improvement (just as the Wild's is in theory). However, Winnipeg will be adding Nik Ehlers next season and they have two first-round picks in this draft. Edmonton adds Connor McDavid and a real NHL coach at the very least but Draisaitl would be the best center prospect in the Wild system by far. Dallas will have Nichushkin back but they have strength everywhere except maybe goalie. Colorado has Duchene, Mackinnon, Varlamov and Landeskog still. Anaheim has excellent prospects at every position. Chicago has a great pipeline even if they shed some talent (anybody doubt that Teravainen would be the best prospect in the Wild system?). Vancouver has some decent prospects even who helped them be runners-up in the AHL, while Wild was arguably the worst team in that league (led by a group of true prospects I know).

Signing Dubnyk or a comparable starter; expecting a fully healthy season from Suter; signing Granlund or acquiring a legit top center; expecting big regressions to career-average performance for Vanek and Pominville; expecting growth from Nino, Dumba, Brodin, Zucker, Coyle, Scandella; expecting another elite season from Parise; etc. All this basically has to happen for the Wild to make the playoffs again, much less win another round. To me, it's a lot to bank on.

I've now seen even lowly Edmonton decide that their drafting and asset management was not good enough and make major changes. I'm not sure this Wild group has a lot of time left, despite drafting Jonas Brodin, Jason Zucker and Matt Dumba. Not sure why anyone would feel satisfied with losing in the playoffs to teams it could beat with a bit more talent in the system. To me, the Stanley Cup is the goal.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I actually like watching Mike Yeo's system but it takes elite scorers to win games in today's NHL. The Wild's talent level does not compare well with the rest of the west. This is especially true in the prospect ranks currently and it will be even more true by the end of the weekend.

Dallas, Edmonton, Los Angeles and Colorado all missed the playoffs as we know, but they will all add a blue-chip prospect or two to add to cores that are capable of improvement (just as the Wild's is in theory). However, Winnipeg will be adding Nik Ehlers next season and they have two first-round picks in this draft. Edmonton adds Connor McDavid and a real NHL coach at the very least but Draisaitl would be the best center prospect in the Wild system by far. Dallas will have Nichushkin back but they have strength everywhere except maybe goalie. Colorado has Duchene, Mackinnon, Varlamov and Landeskog still. Anaheim has excellent prospects at every position. Chicago has a great pipeline even if they shed some talent (anybody doubt that Teravainen would be the best prospect in the Wild system?). Vancouver has some decent prospects even who helped them be runners-up in the AHL, while Wild was arguably the worst team in that league (led by a group of true prospects I know).

Signing Dubnyk or a comparable starter; expecting a fully healthy season from Suter; signing Granlund or acquiring a legit top center; expecting big regressions to career-average performance for Vanek and Pominville; expecting growth from Nino, Dumba, Brodin, Zucker, Coyle, Scandella; expecting another elite season from Parise; etc. All this basically has to happen for the Wild to make the playoffs again, much less win another round. To me, it's a lot to bank on.

I've now seen even lowly Edmonton decide that their drafting and asset management was not good enough and make major changes. I'm not sure this Wild group has a lot of time left, despite drafting Jonas Brodin, Jason Zucker and Matt Dumba. Not sure why anyone would feel satisfied with losing in the playoffs to teams it could beat with a bit more talent in the system. To me, the Stanley Cup is the goal.

And if there was a 100% surefire way to get there, I'd be all ears, but there isn't. It takes equal parts competency and luck. I'm still a believer in the whole "once you get in, anything can happen" so maybe there is some initial satisfaction with getting into the playoffs, but you're right, once we're there expectations should go up.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
how do you go 29-11-1 if theres no real talent on your team? just because we lack star power doesn't mean we cant win the cup. 5 or 6 avg joe 20G scorers plus a rock solid D & add in a goalie standing on his head and you've got a good team capable of winning it all!

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
I'm actually now a big fan of just keeping our picks and letting things play out. Restock the pipeline, give more responsibility to the kids. There has to become a time, when Granlund is the one going out at the last minute of the game, not Koivu. Time when Granlund is the one starting the powerplays. Time when the kids up their game to the next level, it just has to come.

Parise-Granlund-Nino
Zucker-Coyle-Pominville
Vanek-Koivu-Fontaine
Carter-Haula-Schroeder

It has to start working.

In the pipeline we have Tuch. Hopefully we will also get someone like Eriksson Ek, White or whoever. C or RW.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'm actually now a big fan of just keeping our picks and letting things play out. Restock the pipeline, give more responsibility to the kids. There has to become a time, when Granlund is the one going out at the last minute of the game, not Koivu. Time when Granlund is the one starting the powerplays. Time when the kids up their game to the next level, it just has to come.

Parise-Granlund-Nino
Zucker-Coyle-Pominville
Vanek-Koivu-Fontaine
Carter-Haula-Schroeder

It has to start working.

In the pipeline we have Tuch. Hopefully we will also get someone like Eriksson Ek, White or whoever. C or RW.

Agree with your overall sentiment, but I didn't like the Koivu/Vanek combo all that much last year, when it was tried. Koivu was never better than when Zucker was on his LW.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013

How come you have the wild picking Bittner at 20 then?

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
you ask the ? why would anybody be satisfied with our mgmt? because DR left this team in shambles. we got nothing when our best players gabby , rolston & demitra bailed. the wild were a bottom 10 team for sure. now in 6 seasons i think under gmcf we are about 10th outta 30 not too bad but improving! i could help you rip & bash the trades & picks that CF has made but i think its hard to argue with success!

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Edit: @Nharris31. In a mock draft, I just go with what the team is likely to do, not what I'd recommend or desire as a fan. It's worth noting that Bob Mackenzie's list has Bittner at exactly 20. That's a list derived from talking to a large sample of his contacts throughout the league, scouts and management people. I said in the article there are plenty of things the Wild could do here, and maybe they'll get lucky with a dropping talent. I think Bittner could be a player the Wild like though.

That Brent Flahr thing posted yesterday also had him explicitly mention the WHL as a first-round source, fwiw.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
you ask the ? why would anybody be satisfied with our mgmt? because DR left this team in shambles we got nothing when our best players gabby , rolston & demitra bailed. the wild were a bottom 10 team for sure. now in 6 season i think under gmcf we are about 10th outta 30 not too bad but improving! i could help you rip & bash the trades & picks that CF has made but i think its hard to argue with success!

I agree that being in the playoffs is great. DR got them to the WC finals though! How bad was the situation when Fletch took over? They had Haula, Kuemper, Scandella, Koivu, Brodziak, Backstrom. Decent group to start with isn't it? Not that different than now, except CF has only blown one first round pick so far.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Edit: @Nharris31. In a mock draft, I just go with what the team is likely to do, not what I'd recommend or desire as a fan. It's worth noting that Bob Mackenzie's list has Bittner at exactly 20. That's a list derived from talking to a large sample of his contacts throughout the league, scouts and management people. I said in the article there are plenty of things the Wild could do here, and maybe they'll get lucky with a dropping talent. I think Bittner could be a player the Wild like though.

That Brent Flahr thing posted yesterday also had him explicitly mention the WHL as a first-round source, fwiw.

Ok thanks for answering the question. I wouldn't be happy with that pick in the first round. Especially if there is more skilled players available. I wouldn't be surprised if there is.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
Last edited:

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'm going to be so immensely disappointed if we draft Bittner in the first round.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i'd just like to add if CF & CL decided to have a firesale / full on rebuild in 2009 would we really be any better than the oilers currently are? we'd have a few top 5 or better picks but i doubt parise & suter would have signed with a bottom feeder team. just my one cent opinion. ps and the fans would be suffering watching terrible hockey.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I agree that being in the playoffs is great. DR got them to the WC finals though! How bad was the situation when Fletch took over? They had Haula, Kuemper, Scandella, Koivu, Brodziak, Backstrom. Decent group to start with isn't it? Not that different than now, except CF has only blown one first round pick so far.

You say the current Wild lack talent, then you give props to Risebrough of all people for that WC Finals appearance? Did you see what that virtually unchanged roster did the following year? Did you see how many ties that team had, to gain an advantage in standings over those behind them?

That appearance was all because of Lemaire... in SPITE of the team that DR assembled for him.

You list Haula and Kuemper, but Haula and Kuemper were both part of Fletcher's first ever draft as Wild GM in 2009. Brodziak was also a Fletcher aquisition from Edmonton in 2009. Suddenly your list dropped to Koivu, Scandella and Backstrom.... how is that a solid base to build a team from?

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I was being kind of tongue-in-cheek about the finals thing, just saying this: neither guy got them to the Cup. I doubt Fletcher had much input into the 2009 Draft either. I know DR's time had to end here, but CF has not been that much better I don't think. He does deserve credit for getting Brodziak (and Kuemper) that was my mistake. In short CF has added much better players, sure, but he's also made his share of errors.

TSN's Craig Button also has the Wild picking Bittner: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl-mock-draft-button-s-first-round-picks-1.316145

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
I was being kind of tongue-in-cheek about the finals thing, just saying this: neither guy got them to the Cup. I doubt Fletcher had much input into the 2009 Draft either. I know DR's time had to end here, but CF has not been that much better I don't think. He does deserve credit for getting Brodziak (and Kuemper) that was my mistake. In short CF has added much better players, sure, but he's also made his share of errors.

TSN's Craig Button also has the Wild picking Bittner: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl-mock-draft-button-s-first-round-picks-1.316145

I don't agree with Craig.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Button always has some off-the-wall picks in his mock (and his prospect rankings). Goes to show that this draft is going to have a lot of surprises.

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
This Bittner dude doesn't seem to utilize his size too well.

Sorry for my lack of research; who's got the best hands around #20? Bracco?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Fletcher has built a better team in 6 years than DR did in 10yrs.

In fact, what Fletcher inherited after DR's 10 year fail-fest took Fletcher 3 years to even remotely dig out of, and another 2 years to get this team even into the contender conversation... a conversation the Wild were NEVER in under DR.

Yes, the Wild have not won a Cup yet under Fletcher, but they actually have a solid CHANCE to for the first time in franchise history.

Yes, we lost in the 2nd round, but we lost to what is the first ever Cap era dynasty. That is the team we are chasing, and they happen to be in our own division to make things all that more difficult.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
Not doing a full rebuild was the problem. While signing Parise and Suter was great, it put us into win now mode, when we were slowly re-tooling. We just don't have the high end talent. But man, making the playoffs and competing is fun for a change

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Fletcher has built a better team in 6 years than DR did in 10yrs.

And yet they accomplished pretty much the same thing; no conference finals and years of disappointment. Yes, Fletcher has taken this team one step closer but we get smoked year after year by Chicago. This team is more talented but like Riser, it's not built for long term success currently. Unless guys like Coyle, Granlund and to some extent el Nino and Zucker take that massive step forward, Minnesota still has no franchise forward and questionable depth down the middle. They are also still struggling to find goal scorers within the organization.

In fact, what Fletcher inherited after DR's 10 year fail-fest took Fletcher 3 years to even remotely dig out of, and another 2 years to get this team even into the contender conversation... a conversation the Wild were NEVER in under DR.

Except Fletcher used many of the pieces that DR had to create they did. It doesn't hurt that Fletcher also had a new owner. The biggest failure DR had was that he was passive at the deadline. Fletcher is overaggressive at the deadline. Neither one of them bodes well for the team. Furthermore, Fletcher continues to dig himself in holes (goaltending situation, contract situations). As I have shown, many teams don't use free agents to get to the Cup.

Yes, the Wild have not won a Cup yet under Fletcher, but they actually have a solid CHANCE to for the first time in franchise history.

Solid? They struggled to even make the playoffs this year and by the time they did, they were exhausted because they were so far behind. The window is also closing fast. Koivu is slowing down, Suter has looked like an average defenseman, Pominville and Vanek had off-years (and could be a trend). Coyle and Granlund were massively disappointing. The only good thing this year proved was that we had el Nino and Zucker.

Yes, we lost in the 2nd round, but we lost to what is the first ever Cap era dynasty. That is the team we are chasing, and they happen to be in our own division to make things all that more difficult.

We keep losing in the 2nd round though. Yes, we have trouble chasing the Blackhawks but honestly? We struggle against elite teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad