Confirmed with Link: Minnesota signs F Matt Read (1 year, 2-way, $650k)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
At his peak, he was a really good two-way forward for the Flyers capable of playing PK1 and popping in 20 goal, 40 plus points. He's past his peak now though, obviously. He is still a good PKer and a smart player overall. He lost the pep in his step though that allowed him to separate and use his good wrist-shot. You won't get much offense out of him but he can take a regular bottom 6 shift and not hurt you.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
not-bad-gif-12.gif

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
He's been a much better player than Brown over the years.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Read is a pest, but I doubt he sees NHL ice.
This is factually incorrect. Matt Read is very much like smaller version of Rick Nash lite. Perimeter player with solid two way play relying on his speed and shot, whose offense dried up once he slowed down.

Tanker

Jun 8, 2018
I like it! A former Beaver! Another one of us! I remember watching him in Bemidji. A teammate of his used to stay with us as a junior billet. He was a stud waaaaay back then. Now he's.... Ummm... One of us!

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
I thought he would get signed as a PTO and make whatever team took a chance on him. I'm happy he's still around and hope he plays well for you guys.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
He outscored Jason Zucker in the playoffs...so he's not entirely done.

In fact, I think he has a pretty good chance of making this team. (Whether he holds the spot when Kunin returns is a different question.) Likely pushes Brown, Rau and Anas into the AHL where they belong, adds some more puck skill to the bottom-six.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
He outscored Jason Zucker in the playoffs...so he's not entirely done.

In fact, I think he has a pretty good chance of making this team. (Whether he holds the spot when Kunin returns is a different question.) Likely pushes Brown, Rau and Anas into the AHL where they belong, adds some more puck skill to the bottom-six.

Or Greenway.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
How the hell is Matt Read 32? Jesus, I am getting old.

Had the same exact thought. Additionally, I had no idea he'd been so low scoring for so long, either. Guess I don't pay much attention to Philly.

I'm not blown away by them or anything, but I much prefer our bottom six signings this year compared to last.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Or Greenway.
Read is primarily a right wing, Greenway a left wing. But I don't think Greenway's job is in jeopardy either.

If Greenway is in Iowa then you have Matt Hendricks on the third line? I don't think that lasts long.

Zucker-Staal-Granlund
Parise-Koivu-Niederreiter
Greenway-JEE-Coyle
Foligno-Fehr-Read

won't strike fear into people but it's arguably a better bottom six than last season if nothing else.

Last edited:

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Had the same exact thought. Additionally, I had no idea he'd been so low scoring for so long, either. Guess I don't pay much attention to Philly.

I'm not blown away by them or anything, but I much prefer our bottom six signings this year compared to last.
I swear it seemed that it was just a couple of years ago when Read joined Philly and they were pumping him as a great middle-6, secondary scoring guy. But that was actually like 7 years ago.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I swear it seemed that it was just a couple of years ago when Read joined Philly and they were pumping him as a great middle-6, secondary scoring guy. But that was actually like 7 years ago.
I remember that as well, that's why I was surprised to see his age, as well as the minimum contract.

Worth a flier if nothing else.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Read is primarily a right wing, Greenway a left wing. But I don't think Greenway's job is in jeopardy either.

If Greenway is in Iowa then you have Matt Hendricks on the third line? I don't think that lasts long.

Zucker-Staal-Granlund
Parise-Koivu-Niederreiter
Greenway-JEE-Coyle
Foligno-Fehr-Read

won't strike fear into people but it's arguably a better bottom six than last season if nothing else.

That's fine, but your lineup also has a guy that primarily plays the left side playing the right side.

I was think more of:

Z-S-G
Nino - Koivu - Coyle
Parise - JEE - Read

If Read looks bad and/or Kunin or Greenway look good, then you flip-flop them, but you give the guys a chance to prove it either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad