GDT: Minnesota @ New Jersey | 6PM CT - 2AM Suomi | FSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
I have a pretty extensive experience with professional athletes myself and rule #1 is don't speak out of line! Spew cliches and generic statements and never stray from the company line!
Nobody wants to be THAT guy that called out the coach, gm or owner.
If you wish to be so naive to believe every answer in the locker room is truly what is on the players mind then you go right ahead and do that.
I'm nowhere near naive and I have never said I know what the players are think so if you would kindly stop putting words in my mouth that'd be great. What I said was there are ways to call out the coach without explictly doing it and it's been done by players in the media for decades and I have read enough and TAUGHT enough students what to look for that I know what I'm talking about. First off, again, if the players had an inclination that their coach was the issue, they would not be so eager, whenever asked about it, to focus the blame on themselves. They'd be vague with answers more to the point of "I'm not sure what's wrong right now but something has to change." You are right they wouldn't come right out and say it, they wouldn't have to. Also, players are not so bunny afraid as you may think they are about being the one to out the coach, especially in the age of NTC's and NMC's that make incredibly hard and in some cases impossible to move said player without swallowing a really bad deal (see St. Louis to the Rangers after the Olympic snub for an example). As such, they can stray from the company line if they don't like the direction the company is running because the players the media want to hear from are 99 times out of 100 less expendable than the coach is.
It's not hard at all to criticize the coach and therefore make your feelings known about the current regime if you don't like it without explicitly saying it, it's incredibly easy, especially today with personal PR firms and professional media coaches. If you don't believe that's true, then I'm not the one who is naive here.

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
I'm nowhere near naive and I have never said I know what the players are think so if you would kindly stop putting words in my mouth that'd be great. What I said was there are ways to call out the coach without explictly doing it and it's been done by players in the media for decades and I have read enough and TAUGHT enough students what to look for that I know what I'm talking about. First off, again, if the players had an inclination that their coach was the issue, they would not be so eager, whenever asked about it, to focus the blame on themselves. They'd be vague with answers more to the point of "I'm not sure what's wrong right now but something has to change." You are right they wouldn't come right out and say it, they wouldn't have to. Also, players are not so bunny afraid as you may think they are about being the one to out the coach, especially in the age of NTC's and NMC's that make incredibly hard and in some cases impossible to move said player without swallowing a really bad deal (see St. Louis to the Rangers after the Olympic snub for an example). As such, they can stray from the company line if they don't like the direction the company is running because the players the media want to hear from are 99 times out of 100 less expendable than the coach is.
It's not hard at all to criticize the coach and therefore make your feelings known about the current regime if you don't like it without explicitly saying it, it's incredibly easy, especially today with personal PR firms and professional media coaches. If you don't believe that's true, then I'm not the one who is naive here.

It is certainly not common for players to call out coaches in the NHL,not that it has never happened but it's pretty rare.You bring up the Martin St. Louis situaution of last year but up until he requested a trade were there any comments made by St. Louis that were even remotely critical of Yzerman?I don't recall St. Louis saying anything at all.If players calling out coaches in the NHL is common please provide some examples.

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
It is certainly not common for players to call out coaches in the NHL,not that it has never happened but it's pretty rare.You bring up the Martin St. Louis situaution of last year but up until he requested a trade were there any comments made by St. Louis that were even remotely critical of Yzerman?I don't recall St. Louis saying anything at all.If players calling out coaches in the NHL is common please provide some examples.
And apparently he had been unhappy for sometime and had a nmc, still not a peep about it in public.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
Players don't call out coaches, subtly or directly, except in very rare situations. And even when they do, even if they're right, it almost always has an adverse affect on their reputation.

Let's also consider the culture of our team. Considering how Koivu, Suter, Parise, Pominville, Backstrom, and the majority of the others are, do you think we have a team culture where anyone would feel right about calling out a coach at all? Hell no. These are character and team first guys, these are not selfish, self-involved players. That is the exact culture Fletcher has been fostering here.

And honestly, who gives a **** if Yeo shows emotion on the bench or not. Who ****ing cares if Koivu blows up over a bad call on the ice. I really hate these kinds of expectations some people put on sports pros. These guys ARE professionals. They're on national TV FFS, they need to act professionally. And you damned well know Fletch and Leopold expect them to act like that 99% of the time.

Once in a rare while it wouldn't matter and could even be beneficial, but that's it. Being some emotional fool out there just brings down the whole organization and makes them look like whiney babies. Hell, look at Roy, he just looks out of control and ridiculous he does it so often.

Henri M

Dec 12, 2012
After watching the highlights it seemed like the Wild dominated, but were stoped by a hot goalie and a crossbar.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
Players don't call out coaches, subtly or directly, except in very rare situations. And even when they do, even if they're right, it almost always has an adverse affect on their reputation.

Let's also consider the culture of our team. Considering how Koivu, Suter, Parise, Pominville, Backstrom, and the majority of the others are, do you think we have a team culture where anyone would feel right about calling out a coach at all? Hell no. These are character and team first guys, these are not selfish, self-involved players. That is the exact culture Fletcher has been fostering here.

And honestly, who gives a **** if Yeo shows emotion on the bench or not. Who ****ing cares if Koivu blows up over a bad call on the ice. I really hate these kinds of expectations some people put on sports pros. These guys ARE professionals. They're on national TV FFS, they need to act professionally. And you damned well know Fletch and Leopold expect them to act like that 99% of the time.

Once in a rare while it wouldn't matter and could even be beneficial, but that's it. Being some emotional fool out there just brings down the whole organization and makes them look like whiney babies. Hell, look at Roy, he just looks out of control and ridiculous he does it so often.

It's kind of funny how much my opinions on these things have changed since I started playing myself. I've zen-ed the **** out. Like, I suddenly have zero tolerance for the guy on the bench who starts jawing at the ref. It's shameful. I don't want my teammates to do it and I don't want the Wild players to do it.

I'd maybe like to see a little more emotion from Yeo, sure, and it might not hurt to challenge guys a bit more. But he also knows a hell of a lot better than I do what motivates these players and how the team is doing. And I also appreciate a lot more now that sometimes it's OK to be satisfied with a game where you skated your butt off and left everything on the ice, because that's what sets you up for long-term success even if the extremely-short-term view of one missed shot or one bad shift that loses you a game here or there can be frustrating.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i really dont like the "hot goalie excuse" thats alright for one game but not several different games with several different goalies. how does an entire team hit a slump? (leadership imo) everybody on the team has been playing hockey for more than a decade and should know how to handle pressure & win. if not you shouldn't be in the nhl making millions of $$$.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
The "hot goalie" excuse has worn thin with me as well. Mainly because we hear it on way too many occasions and have for years now.

There's a reason for it and there's a reason this team can't score consistently.

That is up to the coaches to fix. I'm not just blaming Yeo here, the players are part of this too and I actually have no real solution myself. All I know is other teams do it and we don't.

We do try to be pretty too much and don't get that net area dirty, outside of Nino, but Coyle seems to be better than Nino at life, so whatever.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Ya but they have been a terrible possession team in years past. Also not sure they were that dominant in the second game against colorado.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Wild always make every goalie look like a hot goalie. To be honest, I have no idea how we do it, but we do. I watch other teams and they score way easier. We could get Ovechkin and still have trouble putting the puck in the net.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Players lack speed to break free from the defenders so they take bad angle shots from the perimeter.

Sounds like leafs and Avs defend which doesn't seem to be working for them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce