Value of: Minnesota moving from pick #14 to a top 10 pick

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc

Probably cost more than Montreal's first an added player like Newhook as well. Though, im sure Montreal is holding on to the pick. Don't see them trading it as building their core of players through the draft.
I dont know, for some reason I dont see them going defense this year at the top of the draft so unless Lindstrom or Demidov fall, I wouldn't mind them moving that pick for the right player....

Uh? Have you watched our GM operate? He’s openly traded first round picks for players and has made it known he’s trying to accelerate by acquiring young players.

Not their own pick though.....He acquired other 1st rounders to use....

As for the OPs question, to move 4-5 sports to top 10 it would like cost a few 2nd rounders. To get to the top 5 the cost would be outrageous.

Last edited:

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I dont know, for some reason I dont see them going defense this year at the top of the draft so unless Lindstrom or Demidov fall, I wouldn't mind them moving that pick for the right player....
Feel like it probably doesn’t need to be said, but since the discussion started with a Montreal fan talking about Boldy… Boldy isn’t available. He just signed a long term deal and he’s not even 23 yet.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Feel like it probably doesn’t need to be said, but since the discussion started with a Montreal fan talking about Boldy… Boldy isn’t available. He just signed a long term deal and he’s not even 23 yet.
I did not mention him in my post at all so maybe direct your attention to him.....

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
It was a joke - or a way of saying you don’t have the available assets to move up

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
What would be the cost for Minnesota to move up 4-6 spots in the draft?
Need to treat it as players not just picks. Who would be there in the top 10 that Minny wants and who would then be there at 14 that another team would be fine taking, plus the extra they could get moving down.

Again, this is not the nfl where you draft and get players into your lineup right away. Each GM is under their own timeline to get things turned around if they missed the PO. Some may need to get back in 2025 or risk getting fired while others have another 2-3 years of asset accumulation ahead of them.

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Are Minnesota Wild fans happy w/ the job that Judd Brackett's done so far?

...Canucks fans were pissed when he wasn't re-signed 4 years ago.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
or a way of saying you don’t have the available assets to move up

Minnesota has plenty of assets that would be needed to move up, they just may not have a partner. To say Minnesota doesn't have the assets is just ignorant.

I think he's done a good job of filling the pool with guys with potential to be quality players, considering where most of his picks have landed. There are a couple of guys from every one of his drafts that I'm pretty confident will be NHL players in some capacity.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Minnesota has plenty of assets that would be needed to move up, they just may not have a partner. To say Minnesota doesn't have the assets is just ignorant.

I think he's done a good job of filling the pool with guys with potential to be quality players, considering where most of his picks have landed. There are a couple of guys from every one of his drafts that I'm pretty confident will be NHL players in some capacity.
I’m going to take for granted that Faber, Boldy, JEE, Rossi and Kaprisov are off the table. Please tell me which assets MIN has that could get them a top 5-7 pick - on top of their picks? Although I see a pool with decent depth, no one will trade down for what’s left in your pool that isn’t untouchable.

Imagine the roles were reversed and Montreal held ~#14 and wanted to move up to ~#6 that MIN would hold. Would a bunch of guys like Harris, Struble, Beck or whoever else I could have in mind make the trade acceptable for MIN? I seriously doubt that.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Seems premature to discuss when Minnesota could easily be passed by NJD, NYI, or even Buffalo. Obviously Minnesota has played really well lately but theres a reason they're not in the playoff hunt, and its because they can just as easily lose on any given night.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Going to be steep. Once you get past 10-12th talent drops off sharply
Montreal has had a lot of extra 2nd and 3rd round picks from 2017 - 2023, plus more extra draft capital in 2024 and 2025 drafts. Not sure they need any extra picks unless they have plans like last season to flip them for something now, like they did with Newhook.

Bottom 7 seem set as there is a 5 point gap between 7th to 8th OA currently with 11 games or fewer to go for teams.
SEA, Cal, Pitt, Buf, NYI, NJ are slotted in the 8-13 ranges.

Who of that group would be looking to drop down to add picks?

SEA, Beniers having a really bad sophomore season. Wright is doing fine in the A as a 19 year old. SEA lacks big time offensive talent. Not sure an extra 2nd changes things for them.
Cal - think they finally accepted rebuilding.
Pitt - either 2024 or 2025 they owe a first to SJ. So, have to decide what their plans are next season to determine whether they should give up this pick or not.
SJ since they could get Pitt's pick, not sure they want to do another AZ type deal like they did in 2022 again.
Buff - probably want to try to win now and turn things around. should be looking to move drafted players or draft capital to get better now.
NYI - kind of pot committed to win now vs keep waiting. They are low on prospects, but 2nd rounders are 3-4 years away most of the time anyways.
NJ - probably more win now vs trade down.

And all of the above depends on the quality of players in that draft range up to 14. Are they all kind of similar to that team? What kind of separation is there between guys in that range?

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN

Too early to tell, IMO. Early returns seem mixed (as all teams returns are) but... good?

2020 seems to have gone well, considering the Wild only had 5 picks in that draft. They hit a likely 3 NHLers, and a possible 4th. I think that's the only draft we can even come close to judging yet, and even if Rossi just ends up being a middle-six player (I think he'll be a 2nd line center), getting 4/5 picks as NHLers would really be something.

2021 has a likely NHLer in Wallstedt, and hopefuls in Lambos, Peart, Bankier, and (to my surprise) Masters. That said, the only one who has shown very well in the AHL so far is Wallstedt. We'll see what Peart can do, soon.

2022 has Yurov and Ohgren as guys I have high hopes for. I think both will be NHL regulars, and Yurov could end up being Kuznetsov-level, back when he was still good. Way too early to really make judgements, though, even on Yurov.

2023... We'll see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad