Minnesota High School Hockey questions??

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
I'm trying to figure out how exactly minnesota high school hockey works? How many games do they usually play a season and Is minnesota hs hockey better than midget AAA hockey like Shattuck St. Mary's? Also what are some of the all-time scoring records for minnesota hs hockey. Most points,goals in a season etc. Thanks guys any info you can give would be great.

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
I don't have that much knowledge of Minnesota HS hockey, but like with HS football in the US, the level of play depends on the school and the division it plays in. Generally bigger schools play in the best divisions. Best HS hockey state in the country easily. Their comparative level of play is hard to gauge due to the disparity between the best and the worst teams though.

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
So would it better for a kid to stay in high school & play for his hs team let say Edina for example or would he be better served to go to Shattuck and play Midget AAA. Also do Minnesota kids ever choose the WHL route? Thanks guys

sb24

Jan 8, 2010
Navajo country
157 teams in Minnesota 16 sections. 8 sections in A and 8 in AA. AA is the Bigger schools. ( most of the time. any school can move up to AA if they want.)

Some players form A in the last few years are. TJ Oshie, Blake Wheeler. Matt Niskanen, Brock Nelson
Some players from AA, Nick Bjugstad, Jake Gardiner, Nick Leddy, Ryan Mcdonagh.

Some only play a year or two of high school and then will go to the USHL, Shattuck or development program. Like Erik Johnson, Kyle Okposo, Jordan schroeder, peter Mueller.

25 game season, 3 round section play off. 1 team from each of the 16 sections advance to the state tournament. 8 in A 8 in AA. two champions.

Just about every year Shattuck will play and beat one of the Minnesota high school teams. Some years they have been beat.

They have rules in place to try and keep kids from moving schools. So the talent is all over the place most of the time. Private schools are vary successful as they get to pick the kids they want. If you change schools after your 1st varsity season you must sit out one year. (unless your family changes their address, cant just be the player.)

The top players in the state play in the Elite league in the Fall this is 6 teams of minn high players. 1 team form Wisconsin 1 from Norway and Shattuck. This was set up to give the top players more game and keep them from leaving for the Ushl ect...Also some players will play before and after the high school seasons on a USHL team.

This years draft for is very weak. Mario Lucia, Joseph Labate, Mike Reilly, Seth Ambroz, Max Everson, are a few who will probably be getting drafted.

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/page/show/32760-home This will have just about all the info you could want on the current season.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_high_school_boys_hockey All the history.

Ben Hanowski (pit pens) is the all time leading scorer With 405 points

Johnny Pohl is Secons with 378

LoL thats all I can think of

GopherState

Repeat Offender...
Aug 8, 2008
X Marks The Spot
So would it better for a kid to stay in high school & play for his hs team let say Edina for example or would he be better served to go to Shattuck and play Midget AAA. Also do Minnesota kids ever choose the WHL route? Thanks guys
Depends on the school and competition. For the best players there are other in-state options like the Elite League but plenty of players choose to leave their HS in order to play in the USHL or National Development Program. Few if any players leave to go play in the Dub mostly due to how big the collegiate programs are in the state and the fact that none of the teams are nearby.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Really depends on the player.

Some players are not as interested or are not in a history rich district or team. So the USHL, Devolpment team or shattucks becomes an option at an early stage.

Others have played on the same general team since they could skate. Many bonds are made and usually a goal to win a state championship is in there.

AA is big schools. Goes by enrollment. The general difference is the depth. An AA team will roll three lines and has a a fourth line. Good A schools it gets cut a bit shorter and bad A schools are sometimes new to hockey and get killed. Typically A players lead the state in scoring for this reason.

There is an elite league that takes place before the season starts. Giving players more games. Others will play in the USHL before and after the high school season. Games in the actual high school season is a proplem but there are more games to be had.

Players like Erik Johnson, Peter Mueller played as underclassmen in high school. To go along with several others that were drafted as high school seniors.

One of the few benifits of staying in high school. Or two benifits i see. You learn how to dominate. The top players usually play top PP, PK, get double and triple shifted play several shifts in a row and in some small towns carry the town on their shoulders. Some get to leave with a clear head. Winning or at least playing out a child dream with friends is something hard to let go. Neal Broten, NCAA champ, Stanly Cup, Gold Medal still talks about friends and memories from high school and places them right at the top. You do not want a player looking back and wondering what if....

The Exiled One

Sep 1, 2006
State of Hockey
www.dahuskies.com
HS/USHL/NCAA is pretty much the default route for Minnesotans with so many nearby options to choose from. The typical exceptions are when they can't qualify academically (Byfuglien, Mueller). And for some reason, and much to my chagrin, players from St. Cloud, MN (Kurt & Mike Sauer, Duininck 2011).

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
After the shaft Troy Hesketh got maybe some more Minnesotans will look at the WHL in the future

Shaft? Please. Wisconsin dropped him because his numbers in the USHL are terrible. Don't tell me a WHL team would keep on a kid they expected to produce who had 0 points and a -12 in 22 games and has been traded twice due to rumors of being uncoachable and a prima donna? I don't think so.

dangsLITE

Jan 16, 2011
NYC
Minnesota high school hockey is about the same as Midget AAA but since Shattuck is one of the top Midget AAA teams in America and perhaps North America, most hs teams would probably lose to them 90% of the time.

Basically in MN you only play club in the summer and fall and the winter and early spring you play hs. It's a lot different from ne prep school in that respect because there guys either play only prep or find a team outside of school if they're allowed to.

The Exiled One

Sep 1, 2006
State of Hockey
www.dahuskies.com
Shaft? Please. Wisconsin dropped him because his numbers in the USHL are terrible. Don't tell me a WHL team would keep on a kid they expected to produce who had 0 points and a -12 in 22 games and has been traded twice due to rumors of being uncoachable and a prima donna? I don't think so.
Also, Minnesotans would probably be more likely to think poorly of Wisconsin than positively of the WHL.

Last edited:

IkeaMonkey*

That, and I'm still not sure how the WHL would have been a better option. Wouldn't he be just as likely to get cut or traded for poor play?

He's already been traded twice and he's yet to suit up for Sioux City since the second trade(a few weeks ago).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad