Speculation: Minnesota G prospect Filip Lindberg will not sign with Wild

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
No offence, but is Petruzelli that big of a loss if we don't get him? I don't think we have any real NHL goalies in our current system as far as prospects go.

Yeah, I think it is. Guy has played himself into the discussion of a legit goalie prospect, he's 22 so it would be unlikely he needs a lot of time in GR to get up to speed (if he's going to get up to speed). Considering how empty our system currently is, how far out any other prospect is likely to be...yeah, it hurts to lose him.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Yeah, I think it is. Guy has played himself into the discussion of a legit goalie prospect, he's 22 so it would be unlikely he needs a lot of time in GR to get up to speed (if he's going to get up to speed). Considering how empty our system currently is, how far out any other prospect is likely to be...yeah, it hurts to lose him.
I would agree. Having him in our development system for 3 years and knowing that we are on the rise, in terms of our rebuild and not wanting to be a part of an original six franchise with Yzerman at the helm and a good chance if he continues his development track that he could be our #1 goalie in a year or two? Just not sure what the "cons" are that would make him want to go elsewhere. My guess is that this is still a decision of turning pro versus staying in school and getting his degree. A legitimate decision especially if he isn't doing Underwater Basketweaving as a degree track.

Reactions: Mount Suribachi

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
What's interesting to me about Petruzelli is that from a future flexibility/negotiating/security/waivers/etc. standpoint after his ELC expires, his best bet would be to sign where the 21-22 season is the first on his ELC. Whether he sign's this offseason or next (or in between... I'll get to that later.), he has to sign for 2 years. Also regardless of when he signs, he has to have 3 seasons under contract before he could potentially become a Group VI UFA is he doesn't play enough NHL games (at least 30 minutes in 28 games) before the end of 23-24 or 24-25 (he's then eligible for UFA status regardless starting at the end of 25-26).

So if next season is the first of his ELC, he'll be looking for a next contract at the end of 22-23.

If in those hypothetical 2 year (or less... see later) he doesn't make much impact at the AHL level, he probably goes unqualified and becomes a UFA at 24YO to pursue other NHL or pro opportunities elsewhere.

But if he plays well and looks like he's still got a future in the NHL, he's probably got a good chance at getting a 2 year extension so his NHL team doesn't have to risk him becoming a UFA after 23-24 if he still hasn't played enough NHL games, especially considered he'd still be waiver exempt for those 2 additional years.

If he waits to sign after next season where his ELC starts with 22-23, he still has to sign a 2-year ELC, wait 3 years for the possibility of Group VI UFA status. The only difference would be that he would have 3 years of waivers exemption instead of 4.

As for the part I was referring to for later, the one thing he might be able to get out of the Red Wings if he goes for a 5th year in college is that they can sign him to his ELC toward the end of next season where the rest of 21-22 would count as the first year of his ELC which essentially:

-Gives him his signing bonus for 21-22 right away and likely some pro-rated NHL salary totaling what he might've made playing an entire year in the AHL on his two-way
-Burns the first year of the ELC, that he would've otherwise spent in the minors making the 2-way salary
-Burns a year of waiver exemption and one of the 3 seasons before he can potentially elect for Group VI UFA status

Otherwise, he waits to sign in the offseason, whether that's the contract the Rangers make up for every college UFA, or some other NHL team or opportunity he thinks is more favorable.

All that said, perhaps Petruzelli isn't worried about money or the pros and just wants to get his degree done before he moves on, or maybe he wants one last crack at the college level where both of his years as starter have been affected by the pandemic, and where his team lost the ECAC tournament finals in OT this past year and where the 2022 Frozen Four will be in his home state of MA. On top of that, another solid year at the college level can probably only help increase his stock when he goes to sign with the Wings or decides to sign elsewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: Winger98 and Bench

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad