Speculation: Minnesota G prospect Filip Lindberg will not sign with Wild

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Could be a good alternative if Petruzzelli doesn't sign. Though I'm not sure why he would sign with us if Petruzzelli doesn't.

Minnesota has better depth than us so he's probably looking for a bigger role.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Hell of a goalie at UMass. But those NCAA guys always need at least a year in the AHL to catch up to the rigors and increased workload of professional hockey.

Absolutely worth a flyer to keep the goalie pool stocked. Detroit might be an appealing option to any young guy as it's a pretty straight line to the starting job within 1-2 years if you're performing. The job is very much up for grabs.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Did they not come to an agreement because he's looking to play in the NHL next year or something?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Did they not come to an agreement because he's looking to play in the NHL next year or something?

I can't imagine a single NHL team bringing in a 7th round goalie right out of NCAA hockey to be even the backup. It just doesn't happen. So if that's his desire, good luck, kid.

More likely, as @ChadS pointed out, Minnesota has a decently deep goalie pool right now. And his route to the NHL in a reasonable timeframe there is a bit murky with a crowded crease. There's two younger guys already in the AHL getting reps, including Hunter Jones who they selected in the 2nd round in 2019 (the same year Lindberg was drafted in the 7th). Plus you've already got Kaapo Kähkönen as the current young NHLer in the system.

If I'm Lindberg, I look at the current situation in Minnesota and I'm not sure where I fit. His next step needs to be the AHL.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I can't imagine a single NHL team bringing in a 7th round goalie right out of NCAA hockey to be even the backup. It just doesn't happen. So if that's his desire, good luck, kid.

More likely, as @ChadS pointed out, Minnesota has a decently deep goalie pool right now. And his route to the NHL in a reasonable timeframe there is a bit murky with a crowded crease. There's two younger guys already in the AHL getting reps, including Hunter Jones who they selected in the 2nd round in 2019 (the same year Lindberg was drafted in the 7th). Plus you've already got Kaapo Kähkönen as the current young NHLer in the system.

If I'm Lindberg, I look at the current situation in Minnesota and I'm not sure where I fit. His next step needs to be the AHL.

Maybe they do if they really want Shane Wright?

And what would a tandom in GR of Lindberg and Petruzzelli look like?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
And what would a tandom in GR of Lindberg and Petruzzelli look like?

More promising than Boyle and Pickard. Our goalie prospects are spotty. Petruzzelli still needs to sign. Can't imagine why he's waffling about a 5th year of college, so who knows what's up.

With Larsson's struggles after college hockey (not that I'm writing him off, but he needs more games and it's been a struggle there), an unsigned Petruzzelli represents most of our long-term goalie hopes right now.

Thus why there's one guy here on the forum who really wants to inject some blue chip talent into that group.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
More promising than Boyle and Pickard. Our goalie prospects are spotty. Petruzzelli still needs to sign. Can't imagine why he's waffling about a 5th year of college, so who knows what's up.

With Larsson's struggles after college hockey (not that I'm writing him off, but he needs more games and it's been a struggle there), an unsigned Petruzzelli represents most of our long-term goalie hopes right now.

Thus why there's one guy here on the forum who really wants to inject some blue chip talent into that group.

I mean, there's more than one guy on the forum here that wants bluechip goalie talent. I've been advocating for a possible Wallstedt pick for months now, and there are a few others here saying the same. (Though I honestly wouldn't be mad about many of the guys in the top 5-9 area). But if we don't end up with Wallstedt with our pick then I'm all for signing all the college goalies.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Yeah, I haven't been able to understand that, either. Is it too late for him to declare himself for free agency? I wonder if he's waiting to see what we do in the draft, if we pick Wallstedt. Or maybe there's something going on that makes him question pursuing a hockey career like an injury issue we don't know about. with how bare our cupboard is and how well he's played, you'd think it'd be a slam dunk that he'd sign.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yeah, I haven't been able to understand that, either. Is it too late for him to declare himself for free agency? I wonder if he's waiting to see what we do in the draft, if we pick Wallstedt. Or maybe there's something going on that makes him question pursuing a hockey career like an injury issue we don't know about. with how bare our cupboard is and how well he's played, you'd think it'd be a slam dunk that he'd sign.

I mean his agent has to do what is happening here, so the return to school thing is obviously seriously in consideration. I guess we could see the same thing shortly, but at least in Yzerman's rundown this kind of announcement would need to be made and you would think probably during June to early July at the latest. I kind of write guys off as soon as they hit their senior year in college at that point I would listen to all the offers and don't begrudge them for doing so either.

We should be in on as many swings as we can have on goalies right now while figuring out where to get them action. Larsson looked legit pre-injury, Petru looks good at times and fits Yzerman's goalie type so that is confusing. I think it is smart to make sure they don't take Wallstedt and put him immediately as #1 goalie in GR if you're these guys, just man we have a system with virtually no talent, you would think the big free agent goalies or Petru would find that more appealing than what we have seen.

I like Wallstedt a lot, I still think he isn't quite Knight or Askarov in terms of goalie prospect. Top 10 is pretty rich, especially since the two better guys slid out, but better draft years and whatnot maybe we pull the trigger at #8.

Reactions: Winger98

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I mean, there's more than one guy on the forum here that wants bluechip goalie talent. I've been advocating for a possible Wallstedt pick for months now, and there are a few others here saying the same. (Though I honestly wouldn't be mad about many of the guys in the top 5-9 area). But if we don't end up with Wallstedt with our pick then I'm all for signing all the college goalies.

Yes but that nuance doesn't lean into the meme as strongly as I'd like.

This was the commentary a few weeks ago.

Red Wings mailbag: What does future hold for top goalie prospect?

------

Q: Can you clarify something on Keith Petruzzelli’s pending free agency? If he opts for an additional year of college, will Detroit still retain his rights? Or will they expire in August regardless? -- Jeremy

A: This is what general manager Steve Yzerman said about Petruzzelli on Tuesday: “We’ve spoken with his advisors. I think Keith’s decision is, does he stay in school or does he leave? If he wants to leave, he can issue a 30-day notice and become a free agent if he’s not signed. I think if he stays in school, the Red Wings will retain his rights.”
Not sure what Petruzzelli could gain hockey-wise from a fifth year in college, but players have other reasons for wanting to return (academics, college life, etc.).
If Petruzzelli doesn’t return to college, the Red Wings will have until Aug. 15 to sign him or he will become a free agent.
Considering their lack of goaltending depth in the system, it would be a significant loss if he doesn’t sign, whenever he leaves school.

------

Doesn't illuminate much, other than the Wings would retain his rights if he stays in school. But what a strange decision given he'd be very much looking at an AHL gig next year. I dunno. Maybe there's a team he's in love with that has mutual interest. That's always the risk with these college boys.

Reactions: Winger98

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
What's Pereuzelli studying? Maybe he's not that interested in pursuing a career in pro hockey and that's why he wants to stay on at college?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Yes but that nuance doesn't lean into the meme as strongly as I'd like.

This was the commentary a few weeks ago.

Red Wings mailbag: What does future hold for top goalie prospect?

------

Q: Can you clarify something on Keith Petruzzelli’s pending free agency? If he opts for an additional year of college, will Detroit still retain his rights? Or will they expire in August regardless? -- Jeremy

A: This is what general manager Steve Yzerman said about Petruzzelli on Tuesday: “We’ve spoken with his advisors. I think Keith’s decision is, does he stay in school or does he leave? If he wants to leave, he can issue a 30-day notice and become a free agent if he’s not signed. I think if he stays in school, the Red Wings will retain his rights.”
Not sure what Petruzzelli could gain hockey-wise from a fifth year in college, but players have other reasons for wanting to return (academics, college life, etc.).
If Petruzzelli doesn’t return to college, the Red Wings will have until Aug. 15 to sign him or he will become a free agent.
Considering their lack of goaltending depth in the system, it would be a significant loss if he doesn’t sign, whenever he leaves school.

------

Doesn't illuminate much, other than the Wings would retain his rights if he stays in school. But what a strange decision given he'd be very much looking at an AHL gig next year. I dunno. Maybe there's a team he's in love with that has mutual interest. That's always the risk with these college boys.

My only thing is why not just come out and say you're going to explore your options? I mean, no one is really going to care or hold it against him. This isn't like Suter in Nashville or Taveres in NYI where they just don't want to deal with media/fans for 82 games before skipping town.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
What's Pereuzelli studying? Maybe he's not that interested in pursuing a career in pro hockey and that's why he wants to stay on at college?
I wonder if he didn't have enough credits to graduate and has eligibility to stay in school. Perhaps Covid messed his schooling schedule up? Just guessing.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

I wonder if he didn't have enough credits to graduate and has eligibility to stay in school. Perhaps Covid messed his schooling schedule up? Just guessing.

Keith Petruzzelli - Men's Ice Hockey - Quinnipiac University Athletics
  • Majoring in civil engineering.

That's a demanding program that requires commitment. And not one of those typical athlete majors. You guys might be onto something here.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I brought up the civil engineering aspect on this board last week when talking about Petruzzelli. Someone pointed out that if he's not graduating this year, then Detroit retains his rights for another season. So pursuing a 5th year could be because he wants to finish his degree, or because he wants out of the Wings organization, or both.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I brought up the civil engineering aspect on this board last week when talking about Petruzzelli.

Brag about it why don't you.

Someone pointed out that if he's not graduating this year, then Detroit retains his rights for another season.

Yzerman confirmed that above, so it seems to be the case.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Brag about it why don't you.

humble-brag-on-linkedin.jpg

Yzerman confirmed that above, so it seems to be the case.

Thanks, detective! :neener:

The important part of that is the ramifications. I think it provides a pretty clear answer to the common question, "why is he considering a 5th year?"

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017

If he's not studying how to be a #1 NHL goaltender, then sign elsewhere.

(That's not to say a degree doesn't matter, if you want it, you can still finish it. I remember Abdelkader did)

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Offer the max, hope he can see path to the NHL.

IMO, Detroit has the worst goaltending prospect depth in the NHL.

Nothing to lose.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
No offence, but is Petruzelli that big of a loss if we don't get him? I don't think we have any real NHL goalies in our current system as far as prospects go.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

I think on top of that uncertainty with his spot in Minnesota, someone has probably made him aware that the league expansion will open up opportunity elsewhere. Seattle will probably want 4 goalies at their disposal at the pro level, and the ones they claim in the ED will consequently open up spots at other teams where Lindberg might have a more guaranteed spot in the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad