Proposal: Minnesota/Detroit

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Thought I'd put this here, the trade board can be annoying...

Heatley
1st

for

Cola
2nd

meh?

Gives the Wings the 17th this year(and 18th). 5 Million added to Detroit, although if they buy-out Sammy, that's 3 million.

Only issue I see is Heatley's health, but he's a UFA after next season.

At worst, Detroit paid for a draft pick.

At best, they get a shooter for Datsyuk on the PP.

pdd

Feb 7, 2010

Heatley
1st

for

Cola
2nd

meh?

Gives the Wings the 17th this year(and 18th). 5 Million added to Detroit, although if they buy-out Sammy, that's 3 million.

I'd be willing to do the deal and then buy out Heatley...

pdd

Feb 7, 2010
Minnesota cant buy out Heatley so how would Detroit be able to buy him out with the type of Injury he has he cant be bought out that's what they were saying in Minny.

Oh, well if he's injured I'd have the think about the deal. Maybe drop that second pick down the draft a bit...

RedWingsNow*

Heatley
1st

for

Cola
2nd

meh?

Of course we'd do this.
I can see why you wouldn't put this on the trade board. Minny fans would freak

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
So let's simplify it. How much for Heatley alone?

Heatley is exactly the kind of buy low restoration project the Wings seem to favor over big UFA payments.

That was my thinking in the OP, plus getting an extra pick for the money involved.

For Heatley alone, does anyone think Cola and Pulkkinen get it done? Maybe Minny adds a pick?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
That was my thinking in the OP, plus getting an extra pick for the money involved.

For Heatley alone, does anyone think Cola and Pulkkinen get it done? Maybe Minny adds a pick?

I don't really know if Cola has a lot of trade value with his injury history? But I'm really bad at guessing that kind of thing tbh. If Quincey has any trade value I'd love to throw him in with a package deal for Heatley. But again, not sure how much value he would have. Maybe Quincey and Ferraro for Heatly?

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
So let's simplify it. How much for Heatley alone?

Heatley is exactly the kind of buy low restoration project the Wings seem to favor over big UFA payments.

He's so slow, oft injured, and is the definition of a diva. Hence the nickname, All Star Dany ****ing Heatley. I'd have extreme reservations about this one.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
He's so slow, oft injured, and is the definition of a diva. Hence the nickname, All Star Dany ****ing Heatley. I'd have extreme reservations about this one.

Generally pretty popular within whatever locker room he is in. People in Ottawa have really helped shape that narrative along with him turning down Edmonton. Of course the accident has never helped, although the Snyder family still publicly backs him and it isn't like he was drunk driving or something.

His play is declining and he is a little slow, probably would be best suited to Eastern Conference teams. But this Heatley is an awful guy thing is over-hyped. I think he would fit in fine, it is just whether or not you think he can actually turn it around.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

You're naming all the reasons it would be "buying low." If he didn't have baggage and his play hadn't dipped, why would Minnesota shed a 32-year-old goal scorer.

I'm not a big Heatley fan myself, but I'm just spitballing that this is the type of guy Detroit would rather trade minimal assets for than pay a handcuffing contract to the wingers hitting free agency. So it's more conjecture than endorsement.

I think he would fit in fine, it is just whether or not you think he can actually turn it around.

In his worst years he's still been good for over 20 goals. That's not a bad low end. That's actually a pretty great low end.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
You're naming all the reasons it would be "buying low." If he didn't have baggage and his play hadn't dipped, why would Minnesota shed a 32-year-old goal scorer.

I'm not a big Heatley fan myself, but I'm just spitballing that this is the type of guy Detroit would rather trade minimal assets for than pay a handcuffing contract to the wingers hitting free agency. So it's more conjecture than endorsement.

In his worst years he's still been good for over 20 goals. That's not a bad low end. That's actually a pretty great low end.

I am actually a pretty big Heatley fan. He is good for 20 to 30 goals. I think he could do well in our system and he has been a decent net front guy over his career.

I love the prospect pool we have built but they are not all going to stick around. Heatley would cost considerably less than Ryan, but at this point it is Ryan that I want to chase.

I do think Heatley would fit in well here and in the new conference. But I personally would like a younger move, but not against Heatley if the price is right.

6'3" 216 lbs and can play both wings. 7.5 cap hit though.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia

Indeed, I'm just naming my reservations about taking in a project like this.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
I was under the impression that Minny needed to buy out Heatley but him being injured really ****s them over, so wouldn't they be willing to give him away for free?
If they really need to dump him why would we give up roster players and/or decent prospects for him?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I was under the impression that Minny needed to buy out Heatley but him being injured really ****s them over, so wouldn't they be willing to give him away for free?
If they really need to dump him why would we give up roster players and/or decent prospects for him?

Because there's probably more than one team that would take him for free. Which means you could get a few bids. He's only got a year left on his deal, he's at worst a 20 goal guy, and he's only 32.

It won't be a massive return, but they can get something... unless his injury is of significant concern. I'm not sure on that.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
I thought you couldn't trade injured players in the new CBA since they couldn't pass a physical? Or is that just for UFAs

kuick

Tatar Sauce
Aug 15, 2009
Grand Rapids
The proposal is really bad for Minnesota, but I would take Heatley if we could fit him. If he's healthy the guy can flat out shoot and finish.

He'll be a UFA after next year. If he's still got something left in the tank, it wouldn't cost us much.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Barely resisting the urge to start a thread entitled:

Proposal: Datsyuk, Hank to Edmonton for a 5th round pick.

It'd be awful for the Wings of course but it would give many people on this forum the team they want; and an excuse to go root for them :)

Too harsh? :)

Also: as others have said, I see no reason why Minny would do this. Additionally if we do get rid of Sammy by trade, I'm pretty sure we aren't getting more than a can of coke back. He's got no real value and everyone knows it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad