Proposal: Minnesota - Columbus (Russo Speculation)

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

Talking about Rossi trades, Russo specifically mentions it would be in the same player type as Kent Johnson, Kirill Marchenko, or Cole Sillinger.

Curious if the two fanbases would be able to agree on a trade involving Rossi and one of these players mentioned.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Talking about Rossi trades, Russo specifically mentions it would be in the same player type as Kent Johnson, Kirill Marchenko, or Cole Sillinger.

Curious if the two fanbases would be able to agree on a trade involving Rossi and one of these players mentioned.

KJ arguably has the highest offensive ceiling of the three as a shifty playmaker, but he's coming off a sophomore slump and is going to be recovering from surgery 'till late September/early October. Sillinger is looking like his floor is as a good two-way #3C who might manage #2C if he rediscovers offense. Marchenko just scores goals and is a big goofy fun guy; he's our Finisher Of The Future.

Of the three, I suspect the least pushback would be over KJ, followed by Sillinger. Marchenko has kind of already made himself a fan favorite.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I [Jackets fan] would make the swap for Sillinger, but that's it.

All the talk in Columbus is about getting bigger. That's presumably the only reason the Wild are trading Rossi. They need centers too, so if they're trading him you can guess why. It's much harder to think of a team that isn't trying to get bigger.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I [Jackets fan] would make the swap for Sillinger, but that's it.

All the talk in Columbus is about getting bigger. That's presumably the only reason the Wild are trading Rossi. They need centers too, so if they're trading him you can guess why. It's much harder to think of a team that isn't trying to get bigger.
I would be concerned about that turning out to be a lateral move, myself, but I'm admittedly judging Rossi almost entirely by Sparse Scouting Reports On The Internet and a spreadsheet. That and I have faith in Sillinger-Voronkov as a good middle-6 C combo.

Reactions: Xoggz22

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I would guess that Guerin would be most enamoured of Marchenko, and CBJ would be the least interested in giving him up. I liked KJ coming into the draft, but he has been underwhelming. I know he's taller than Rossi, but Rossi might actually play a heavier game, and is more suited to play C. Don't really get the rationale for trading for him. Same with Sillinger, but for different reasons.

Rossi ran out of a gas a little at the end of the season, but I thought he was vg. I don't get the hurry to trade him. He seems to be the least of MN's problems, up front. It's the lackluster play of the older forwards like Johansson, Gaudreau, Foligno, etc. that is killing MN.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
KJ arguably has the highest offensive ceiling of the three as a shifty playmaker, but he's coming off a sophomore slump and is going to be recovering from surgery 'till late September/early October. Sillinger is looking like his floor is as a good two-way #3C who might manage #2C if he rediscovers offense. Marchenko just scores goals and is a big goofy fun guy; he's our Finisher Of The Future.

Of the three, I suspect the least pushback would be over KJ, followed by Sillinger. Marchenko has kind of already made himself a fan favorite.
Funny, that's what Rossi essentially is.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Funny, that's what Rossi essentially is.
Yeah; that's the impression I've gotten from what I've read and thus why I'm not as eager to pounce on a trade for him. I wouldn't necessarily object to adding him per se, but I feel like we've got that adequately filled.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Yeah; that's the impression I've gotten from what I've read and thus why I'm not as eager to pounce on a trade for him. I wouldn't necessarily object to adding him per se, but I feel like we've got that adequately filled.
I feel like I'm going to be very underwhelmed/annoyed by any Rossi trade, unless he's used to get somebody like Konecny/Necas, on extended contracts. Which I am not counting on happening.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I feel like I'm going to be very underwhelmed/annoyed by any Rossi trade, unless he's used to get somebody like Konecny/Necas, on extended contracts. Which I am not counting on happening.
Yeah, I wouldn't be holding my breath on those either if I was in your position. :(

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
I would guess that Guerin would be most enamoured of Marchenko, and CBJ would be the least interested in giving him up. I liked KJ coming into the draft, but he has been underwhelming. I know he's taller than Rossi, but Rossi might actually play a heavier game, and is more suited to play C. Don't really get the rationale for trading for him. Same with Sillinger, but for different reasons.

Rossi ran out of a gas a little at the end of the season, but I thought he was vg. I don't get the hurry to trade him. He seems to be the least of MN's problems, up front. It's the lackluster play of the older forwards like Johansson, Gaudreau, Foligno, etc. that is killing MN.
Problem is that those are the type of players that Billy very much prefers, and it's why he locked them in. It's also why he seems determined to move Rossi. It's shades of Fiala again where he doesnt HAVE to move the player....he just WANTS to. BG doesn't care about the long term picture, and I hope moving Rossi backfires on him in spectacular fashion. He has no patience and is a petty, petty man.

His grit first BS has gotten this team no where but out of the playoffs and into more cap hell.

He can't be fired soon enough.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I really did not like Sillinger heading into his draft. He looked like a player who quits. I haven't been watching him since, but that type of thing is usually more a character trait than a hockey trait, so I'm not excited about his name being brought up. Maybe CBJ fans can let me know if that's been their perception of SIllinger, too?

At the very least, I know Rossi will never quit. He isn't ferocious, but he's as determined a player as I've ever seen. I'm not sure I've seen any proposed 1 for 1 swaps for Rossi that I think are good for both teams.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I really did not like Sillinger heading into his draft. He looked like a player who quits. I haven't been watching him since, but that type of thing is usually more a character trait than a hockey trait, so I'm not excited about his name being brought up. Maybe CBJ fans can let me know if that's been their perception of SIllinger, too?

I almost have to ask if you might have mixed him up with a different prospect. That's one thing no one in Columbus would question with Sillinger. He's strong and his determination and battle level are high end.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Problem is that those are the type of players that Billy very much prefers, and it's why he locked them in. It's also why he seems determined to move Rossi. It's shades of Fiala again where he doesnt HAVE to move the player....he just WANTS to. BG doesn't care about the long term picture, and I hope moving Rossi backfires on him in spectacular fashion. He has no patience and is a petty, petty man.

His grit first BS has gotten this team no where but out of the playoffs and into more cap hell.

He can't be fired soon enough.
Ya, it's sort of like a reverse Stramel move.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I almost have to ask if you might have mixed him up with a different prospect. That's one thing no one in Columbus would question with Sillinger. He's strong and his determination and battle level are high end.
Ya, I never had that perception of Sillinger. The issue with him would never be about grit, or desire. Just more about his talent, or offensive talent, at least. He's kind of a Ryan Hartman in training.

Rossi is definitely more of a skill player, but he had a really good summer in the gym, and came back sticking his nose into all sorts of net front scrums. There was one funny incident in Montreal where 6'3" Guhle cross checked Kaprizov, and little 5'9" Rossi(in lifts) jumped right into his face. Definitely a Jack Russell v Great Dane moment.

Again, i would be very disappointed if Rossi is traded for someone like Sillinger, who, IMO, has a lower offensive ceiling. I don't get trading for Johnson, either, as he isn't going to provide any toughness, either. If Marco can continue to get a tad faster, stronger, and most importantly, get some decent linemates, then he will be a top 6 C for MN for a decade. I don't give a damn how tall he is if he can do the job.

If you listen to Russo, he is echoing my thoughts, but is merely reporting what both he and Joe Smith (other Athletic beat writer) has heard.

Last edited:

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I appreciate the reply! My perception was based on limited viewings, so that's why I asked for a CBJ fan perspective. I still don't think I'd like the move as I view Rossi as a 60+ point two-way center in his prime, but I've always been higher on Rossi than most.

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Again, i would be very disappointed if Rossi is traded for someone like Sillinger, who, IMO, has a lower offensive ceiling. I don't get trading for Johnson, either, as he isn't going to provide any toughness, either. If Marco can continue to get a tad faster, stronger, and most importantly, get some decent linemates, then he will be a top 6 C for MN for a decade. I don't give a damn how tall he is if he can do the job.

Agreed on Sillinger, you're getting a very limited offensive ceiling with him.

Kent Johnson though - if you apply your hopes for Marco, that he continues to get a tad faster and stronger - if KJ can do that then he is a topline forward.

Reactions: Viqsi

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Agreed on Sillinger, you're getting a very limited offensive ceiling with him.

Kent Johnson though - if you apply your hopes for Marco, that he continues to get a tad faster and stronger - if KJ can do that then he is a topline forward.
Rossi is also a C, while Johnson appears not to be, at least in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad