Proposal: Minesota/Ranger swap of picks

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
If Minnesota is 9, Jets 10, Rangers 11.

If the top 8 go the way they are supposed to and Sanderson is there at 9. Wild do not need more D help.

Rangers trade rd 1 pick 11
2nd round pick

Wild trades pick 9
rd 5 pick

Rangers get their D man Wild draft a F.

What do you say??

It costs more than that to trade up.

Look at getting rangers other first for min 3rd.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Not worth the risk for MN to lose out on Lundell/Rossi/Perfetti. Unlike some teams they must draft for position(C), as opposed to BPA. Pretty sure that WPG would grab Lundell at #10...he's almost exactly what they need, though Sanderson would look damn good there, too.

The early 2nd would be nice. This draft will probably have a lot of interesting Dmen available there. Nice to have, but not a priority for MN.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
I wouldn't count on it. Rossi can probably get away with playing center and these guys usually go higher for a reason.
I'd personally even pick him 4th overall if I don't have to worry about team needs...

I think its a pretty decent bet that the 7 guys you listed + Askarov + Rossi will all be gone at 12 at the very latest.
But I wouldn't bet on any order...

One thing I would agree with is that if the draft falls the way you believe, I have a very hard time as well believing that the Sabres would pass on Rossi...
This feels like a dream scenario for Sabres getting Rossi at 8. Not saying it won't happen just that Sabers would love this to happen.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think the Sabres just need top 6 forward talent. Shouldn't obsess about them being C's. If Raymond or Holtz is there you jump on them if you think they are better players than Rossi. Cozens can play C between two talented wings.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
After pick 9 you can debate if it drops to another tier. Rangers need D guys at the big club (and yes rangers 3 nice ones in the system). What would you put the difference at between Sanderson and 11?
(For record I am seeing mock drafts take Sanderson at 10 and devils fans above disagreeing).
2020 NHL Mock Draft - NHL - DraftSite.com
I meant it more like Jets only adding a 5th while NYR were adding a 2nd. I don't think it would be that much different from 10th or 11th moving. No matter what the cost to move is.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
If Minnesota is 9, Jets 10, Rangers 11.

If the top 8 go the way they are supposed to and Sanderson is there at 9. Wild do not need more D help.

Rangers trade rd 1 pick 11
2nd round pick

Wild trades pick 9
rd 5 pick

Rangers get their D man Wild draft a F.

What do you say??

No to pay 2nd we don't have to move up.
Also, my understanding is we are not set at 11, something going through Yardbarker said it 10 or 11 depending on further play off results.

Again, Rangers need to get down to a core and give that younger core mins. This means at G Geo is out, at D Deangelo goes and at F Buch and Strome are gone, so we can get mileage out of Hank's last year and make room for Wall and co, prepare for Nils L and very possible K'Andre M while seeing what we've got in Rykov and Hajek, and giving F mins to Chytil, Lemieux, Gauthier, Kakko, Kravtsov, etc.

So assuming NYR does not win the 1OA Laf lottery
the updated version of NY upgrading w/Buffalo is now ...
Buch 3.25 + rfa rights + NYR 2020 1st [10-11OA] + DAL 2020 3rd + cap dump Smith at half - 4.35 reduced to 2.175
for
BUF 2020 1st 8OA + 2025 BUF 2nd + Laaksonen 855,333 elc + cap dump Hutton 2.75

cap Rangers export 5.425 take on 3.605,333, so they gain a hair over 1.5 cap space.

Analysis:
Rangers get a prospect w/potential they don't have to protect who is raw and green overall but shows excellent skating, don't have to pay Buch, and even tho it is kicked WAY down the road, get a 2nd. Hutton shipped to Hartford, kept for exposure to exp drft. Small upgrade on pick, might not help as to bpa, but can't hurt.

Sabes, get a top 6 W, either side, crucially necessary for immediate upgrade and at decent $ + rfa after. Get a 3rd they don't have now. Unload expiring Hutton for cheaper expiring Smith. Smith may be someone who they send to Blues with a plus for Jake Allen, esp if Blues do cheap 1 yr deal w/Howard; wouldn't have to add too much b'c Smith at half is like half of what Allen costs. Laaksonen is a small wince loss, not competing anytime soon and once pretenders [Montour/Risto] are moved, Samuellson can be promoted. A couple of slots back, but still getting a 1st in range of level of talent available to be picked.

Note: this deal does NOT include Geo, who is auctioned off separately.

Arguably, Buf should have considered this w/less value added when Rangers were at 14OA projected, but this is better and clearer for both.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I don't know, hard to say no without knowing how the board falls, but I see very little reason as of now to drop

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
No to pay 2nd we don't have to move up.
Also, my understanding is we are not set at 11, something going through Yardbarker said it 10 or 11 depending on further play off results.

Again, Rangers need to get down to a core and give that younger core mins. This means at G Geo is out, at D Deangelo goes and at F Buch and Strome are gone, so we can get mileage out of Hank's last year and make room for Wall and co, prepare for Nils L and very possible K'Andre M while seeing what we've got in Rykov and Hajek, and giving F mins to Chytil, Lemieux, Gauthier, Kakko, Kravtsov, etc.

So assuming NYR does not win the 1OA Laf lottery
the updated version of NY upgrading w/Buffalo is now ...
Buch 3.25 + rfa rights + NYR 2020 1st [10-11OA] + DAL 2020 3rd + cap dump Smith at half - 4.35 reduced to 2.175
for
BUF 2020 1st 8OA + 2025 BUF 2nd + Laaksonen 855,333 elc + cap dump Hutton 2.75

cap Rangers export 5.425 take on 3.605,333, so they gain a hair over 1.5 cap space.

Analysis:
Rangers get a prospect w/potential they don't have to protect who is raw and green overall but shows excellent skating, don't have to pay Buch, and even tho it is kicked WAY down the road, get a 2nd. Hutton shipped to Hartford, kept for exposure to exp drft. Small upgrade on pick, might not help as to bpa, but can't hurt.

Sabes, get a top 6 W, either side, crucially necessary for immediate upgrade and at decent $ + rfa after. Get a 3rd they don't have now. Unload expiring Hutton for cheaper expiring Smith. Smith may be someone who they send to Blues with a plus for Jake Allen, esp if Blues do cheap 1 yr deal w/Howard; wouldn't have to add too much b'c Smith at half is like half of what Allen costs. Laaksonen is a small wince loss, not competing anytime soon and once pretenders [Montour/Risto] are moved, Samuellson can be promoted. A couple of slots back, but still getting a 1st in range of level of talent available to be picked.

Note: this deal does NOT include Geo, who is auctioned off separately.

Arguably, Buf should have considered this w/less value added when Rangers were at 14OA projected, but this is better and clearer for both.
If Minn or Jets are 1 then rangers are 10 and post is moot.

I'm surprised ranger fans aren't more interested in Sanderson. Yes Rangers have 2 top 30 d prospects but Sanderson looks like a 2nd pair d man you can put in lineup the next 12 years.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
If you take Sanderson off the board it would mean that Winnipeg is likely looking at the same guy that the Wild want. Why would Minnesota even consider moving behind Winnipeg in that scenario?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I’m fairly certain the top 7 includes these guys: Laf, Byfield, Stutzle, Perfetti, Drysdale, Raymond, Sanderson.

I think Buffalo probably takes Rossi at 8, which is unfortunate for Minnesota. But, between Lundell and Holtz, I still feel like we’ll get a good player. I also wonder if NJ wouldn’t be open to trading down to 9 as a guy that would make sense for them would likely still be there.

I think Buffalo is the real wild card in this draft.

Who is there when they draft
Is there a center they want?

Looking at prospect pool they need a RD. They last 3 drafts they picked LD at 31, 1, 32. They drafted a couple prospect RD in 3rd round at traded for a late 1st round pick.to balance it out they likely target a RD in the 1st or their 2nd.

Thry would like a player to help now.

They could trade do a trade of 8 for one of the picks 12-20 and a current U24 roster player. They could also make a deal involving teams with 21sts or teams giving up a 1st next year in a trade down.

An example without debating the value would be
8 to NJ for Zacha + AZ/VAN 1st round pick

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I would say top 4 at a minimum, with top 2 potential. All this depends on whether he is properly developed, as opposed to being thrown to the dogs on teams like EDM and BUF.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

I'm surprised ranger fans aren't more interested in Sanderson. Yes Rangers have 2 top 30 d prospects but Sanderson looks like a 2nd pair d man you can put in lineup the next 12 years.

1. Did I miss something? Just saying NY could still wind up w/10OA as opposed to 11OA.
Should not make a deal on my prop for Buch + to upgrade slightly +.

2. Regardless of where it is, they should take bpa, who may well be Sandy. Should not repeat debacle of reaching with Andersson, Lias was huge overreach.
If we like one or more guys, take best one regardless of position.
If we don't like anyone enough, show some balls and trade down for profit.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Unless the players brings some characteristics your current prospect D don’t have such as a big size., you pick a D in 10-13 you expect a top pair Dman to come from this. If you think you are set long term there you don’t draft that. You instead draft late 1st or latter for D because you likely don’t see the player until 2023/24season at the earliest .

The Carolina pick is where they should draft a Dman.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
1. Did I miss something? Just saying NY could still wind up w/10OA as opposed to 11OA.

2. Regardless of where it is, they should take bpa, who may well be Sandy. Should not repeat debacle of reaching with Andersson, Lias was huge overreach.

Buch does nothing to move the high 1st. You need to move something bigger. He could be used on moving the Carolina pick if it’s later or if you had a second.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019

Rangers 12.5% pick 1,
25% pick 10,
67.5% pick 11

If people on here are correct (feel free to debate) that Sanderson goes in top 7 and Rossi or Raymond or Perfetti make 8 the sabres are picking Rossi/Raymond/Perfetti and are not trading down to 10/11. Now Sanderson doesn't go top 7 and Holtz is best option for Sabres at 8 then sure I can see a trade down to 10/11.

Reactions: bernmeister

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Rangers 12.5% pick 1,
25% pick 10,
67.5% pick 11

If people on here are correct (feel free to debate) that Sanderson goes in top 7 and Rossi or Raymond or Perfetti make 8 the sabres are picking Rossi/Raymond/Perfetti and are not trading down to 10/11. Now Sanderson doesn't go top 7 and Holtz is best option for Sabres at 8 then sure I can see a trade down to 10/11.

I’m uncertain how the second lottery will operate..is it

equal odds,

is it the same odds the pick positions had but proportionally drawn out to a total of 100%

Or do the same odds they used in the first lottery of 1-7+ anyone else st 8-15.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019

equal odds,

is it the same odds the pick positions had but proportionally drawn out to a total of 100%

its a 1 in 8 chance. All 8 teams that lost have 12.5% chance of pick 1. Pens odds are same as the Jets.

Reactions: Guitpik

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

equal odds,

Each of the 8 eliminated teams have an equal 12.5% chance of winning the 1st overall. The 7 teams that don't win will be placed in reverse standings order, so Minnesota holds 9th if they don't win 1st as they had the worst regular season of all 8 eliminated teams, Pittsburgh holds 15th if they don't win 1st, everyone else falls in between.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Buch does nothing to move the high 1st. You need to move something bigger. He could be used on moving the Carolina pick if it’s later or if you had a second.

Disagree.
If Sabes want to get Eichel any help, this is the kind of deal they make.
They keep a 1st close to where they are and add a starting W, which they need.

Refusing to go there = status quo = slow build by draft and hope for the best.

And I am sure EDM would be thrilled to turn Neal into Buchnevich. How much thrilled and what they would demand on top of Neal to send us Broberg, and to what level I would overpay for him remains to be seen. But again, Buch is not filet mignon but he is not chopped liver, either.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I think Buffalo is the real wild card in this draft.

Who is there when they draft
Is there a center they want?

Looking at prospect pool they need a RD. They last 3 drafts they picked LD at 31, 1, 32. They drafted a couple prospect RD in 3rd round at traded for a late 1st round pick.to balance it out they likely target a RD in the 1st or their 2nd.

Thry would like a player to help now.

They could trade do a trade of 8 for one of the picks 12-20 and a current U24 roster player. They could also make a deal involving teams with 21sts or teams giving up a 1st next year in a trade down.

An example without debating the value would be
8 to NJ for Zacha + AZ/VAN 1st round pick

Would Buffalo consider the Rangers later 1st and DeAngelo for #8??

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Absolutely not.

Next year is an expansion draft.

Buffalo would be protecting Dahlin, Jokiharju, and Ristolainen.

Joki and Risto are right D. They also have Montour and Miller as RD and have Borgen who came out of college and ends his ELC in 2021.

They aren’t trading down for a one year rental.

As I mentioned they wouls be looking at drafting a RD as s future player. They don’t need a RD now.

They also do not need a winger. They have wingers. Thry need someone who could be a 2/3C. That’s the only thing they’d trade the pick down for unless it was part of a much bigger trade.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Disagree.
If Sabes want to get Eichel any help, this is the kind of deal they make.
They keep a 1st close to where they are and add a starting W, which they need.

Refusing to go there = status quo = slow build by draft and hope for the best.

And I am sure EDM would be thrilled to turn Neal into Buchnevich. How much thrilled and what they would demand on top of Neal to send us Broberg, and to what level I would overpay for him remains to be seen. But again, Buch is not filet mignon but he is not chopped liver, either.

Eichel doesn’t need any help...buffalo has Skinner, Reinhart, Olofsson, Mittlestadt ...all are better than Buch.

I’d be happy to trade you Okposo for Buch straight up.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
That's a bit much IMO but we could negotiate depending on what else the market shows.

Absolutely not.
Next year is an expansion draft.
Buffalo would be protecting Dahlin, Jokiharju, and Ristolainen.
Joki and Risto are right D. They also have Montour and Miller as RD and have Borgen who came out of college and ends his ELC in 2021.

They aren’t trading down for a one year rental.

As I mentioned they wouls be looking at drafting a RD as s future player. They don’t need a RD now.

They also do not need a winger. They have wingers. Thry need someone who could be a 2/3C. That’s the only thing they’d trade the pick down for unless it was part of a much bigger trade.

The prob here is they should not hold onto Risto who is a turnover machine, and send him to TOR who will give you something for him.

Montour has disappointed. Why keep? If someone takes a chance, move on.

All this said, Deangelo is not going to BUF. Possibly FL, not Sabes.

Also, your Ws suck.
That is not me saying this.
This is the history of the track record.
I get Skinner, but Mitt?
Mitt over Buch????????????

really??????????????

Eichel doesn’t need any help...buffalo has Skinner, Reinhart, Olofsson, Mittlestadt ...all are better than Buch.

I’d be happy to trade you Okposo for Buch straight up.

Doubt they all are, and sorry to break it to you, Eich needs help.
But have it your way.
Even if this ain't Burger King.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad