Claimed off Waivers: [MIN] Wild claim D Declan Chisholm off waivers from the Jets

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Good for Declan. He needs to play games, and that just wasn’t happening in Winnipeg. Now he’ll get an opportunity.

It’s been a tough year from him sitting in the press box, and hopefully he’s thrown to the wolves pretty quickly here. Was hoping he’d find a spot where he’d be protected a little more, but it’s an NHL gig and he’s worked his butt off to get this opportunity.

I get why the Jets didn’t try sending him down earlier, because they were likely to lose him, but it really wasn’t cool burying him like they did. If you’re not playing him, send him down, or trade him. If you lose him like they did today, so be it. He obviously wasn’t important enough, sitting in the press box every night..

Tough position to be in as a player as well. At 24, you shouldn’t have to go to management and beg to be sent down, or traded, because you’re literally never playing. Teams just aren’t willing to offer anything for a player they think they’ll lose on waivers as well, if they have to send him down.

The Jets staff just didn’t handle this one well. He should’ve played at least 8-10 games at this point. Like I said, if he wasn’t worth that to your team, do right by the kid, and put him on waivers. Which they finally did yesterday.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
It will be interesting to see where he starts in the lineup here, my initial thought is that they either break him in on the third pair limited minutes, or they just jump on in and give him top 4 time next to Brodin while Middleton-Faber pair up for some balance.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Nice fit. Wild dying for some blueliners who can move the puck.
Not really. They are 7th in the Western conference in FF. 13th in GA. They need another solid dman, if not two, that can help keep the puck out of the net. Being able to move the puck also is nice, but first things first. I don't see Chisholm being the answer to much of anything, just like the Jets didn't.

Reactions: GreatSaveEssensa

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Good for Declan. He needs to play games, and that just wasn’t happening in Winnipeg. Now he’ll get an opportunity.

It’s been a tough year from him sitting in the press box, and hopefully he’s thrown to the wolves pretty quickly here. Was hoping he’d find a spot where he’d be protected a little more, but it’s an NHL gig and he’s worked his butt off to get this opportunity.

I get why the Jets didn’t try sending him down earlier, because they were likely to lose him, but it really wasn’t cool burying him like they did. If you’re not playing him, send him down, or trade him. If you lose him like they did today, so be it. He obviously wasn’t important enough, sitting in the press box every night..

Tough position to be in as a player as well. At 24, you shouldn’t have to go to management and beg to be sent down, or traded, because you’re literally never playing. Teams just aren’t willing to offer anything for a player they think they’ll lose on waivers as well, if they have to send him down.

The Jets staff just didn’t handle this one well. He should’ve played at least 8-10 games at this point. Like I said, if he wasn’t worth that to your team, do right by the kid, and put him on waivers. Which they finally did yesterday.
I’m guessing the Jets had a drop dead date of the All Star break to use him or waive him. Also coincides with Heinola being healthy and the Jets needed the roster spot. Anyways good luck to him on the Wild.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Not really. They are 7th in the Western conference in FF. 13th in GA. They need another solid dman, if not two, that can help keep the puck out of the net. Being able to move the puck also is nice, but first things first. I don't see Chisholm being the answer to much of anything, just like the Jets didn't.

They can’t all be Brock Faber!

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
We’re one bad trade deadline away from Chevy suggesting we give Stanley a shot at 2C.
Stanley has been in the exact same position as Chisholm all season being a healthy scratch. Now that Heinola is ready to return either Stanley or Chisholm had to be waived. I’m guessing Chevy kept the guy who he perceived as having more value based on other GMs interest.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I'm excited to see what this kid can do, and am slightly surprised at the lack of fanfare by Wild fans on this one. I didn't expect a red carpet or anything, but at least thought it was thread-worthy. Certainly more so than trading Cajkovic for Butcher. Anyway, I'm sorry Jets fans have to endure watching him play in green, but at least it wasn't Dallas. Hopefully our team will treat him right.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
I wish literally any other team had claimed him other than Minny.
Sarcastic Cry.gif

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, he's looking better than I expected. Already on the 2nd PP, such as it is, and looks reasonably good out there. Good skating, good puck skills, not exactly a stout defender, but have seen worse. Much better than Goligoski, Mermis, or Merrill, though that might be damning him with faint praise.

With Spurgeon, and now Bogosian out, he will be getting some top 4 time.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Definitely a good start for him, skating and puck skills are very solid and he makes some nice reads on the breakout and in transition. Lots to like with him out of the gate and he certainly looks much better than any of our earlier call ups.

Reactions: hn777 and Atoyot

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
It’s too bad he didn’t make it through Waivers, likely a spot for him on the roster next season. Still would have rather traded Stanley the pilon vs draft and develop a player just to lose them for nothing.

Reactions: hn777

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Chisolm always looked poised and solid when he got to play for the Jets.
I would have preferred to lose someone else from the team.
Being a RH shot doesn't help either.
I was almost hoping that Minny would try to send him to the minors at some point so we could claim him back but sounds like he is capitalizing on his opportunity.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Chisolm always looked poised and solid when he got to play for the Jets.
I would have preferred to lose someone else from the team.
Being a RH shot doesn't help either.
I was almost hoping that Minny would try to send him to the minors at some point so we could claim him back but sounds like he is capitalizing on his opportunity.
He shoots left.

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
Question...not related to OP....but if a team loses a player on waivers does that team have 1st dibs if he goes back on waivers by the claiming team?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad