Confirmed with Link: (Min/tor) 7th round pick for Fedor Gordeev

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScJeff

Jun 15, 2010
Per Bob McKenzie
MIN and TOR have a trade for the rights to unsigned junior Fedor Gordeev, who goes back into the draft if not signed before June 1. 7th round pick if he signs in MIN. Which is fully expected to happen.

Elite prospects and capfriendly has him listed as signed with Minnesota making it a 7th for him.I havn't seen what year 7th round pick the wild are sending Toronto. 5th round pick from 2017. Big left handed defencemen 6'6 225 '99 birth with decent skating but still a bit of a project.

Fedor Gordeev at eliteprospects.com

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Per Bob McKenzie
MIN and TOR have a trade for the rights to unsigned junior Fedor Gordeev, who goes back into the draft if not signed before June 1. 7th round pick if he signs in MIN. Which is fully expected to happen.

Elite prospects and capfriendly has him listed as signed with Minnesota making it a 7th for him.I havn't seen what year 7th round pick the wild are sending Toronto. 5th round pick from 2017. Big left handed defencemen 6'6 225 '99 birth with decent skating but still a bit of a project.

Fedor Gordeev at eliteprospects.com
It's Winnipeg's 7th rounder in next years draft. And we all know that a 7th rounder in next years draft is really only worth a 9th or maybe 8th round pick.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
One of those tall guys who takes a while to figger out his body? My 15 yo is on a baseball team with a kid like this. 6'3" and still growing- likely to be as tall as his 6'6" Dad. Some days the kid looks amazing. Other days, moves like he's drunk.

Hopefully he will be factor in 3 years or so. Might need some ECHL time to start. He and Soucy have some nice size.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Judging him entirely off of reading a stat line: Low offense, huge, takes a lot of penalties. Seems like a 7th round pick to me!

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Judging him entirely off of reading a stat line: Low offense, huge, takes a lot of penalties. Seems like a 7th round pick to me!
There's a highlight video on the trade board thread. Kids actually a good skater with decent hands.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
There's a highlight video on the trade board thread. Kids actually a good skater with decent hands.

Thanks for mentioning it. I'll check it out!

*edit* Just checked out a video of him. Like some dude in the trade board said, to paraphrase: "You'll watch a highlight video of him and wonder how he doesn't score more." Looks like he's got good skating, great size, great hands and a decent shot. So... what gives? Maybe just doesn't have much hockey sense in the offensive zone? Maybe he turns out to be a giant version of Brodin?

Last edited:

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota

*edit* Just checked out a video of him. Like some dude in the trade board said, to paraphrase: "You'll watch a highlight video of him and wonder how he doesn't score more." Looks like he's got good skating, great size, great hands and a decent shot. So... what gives? Maybe just doesn't have much hockey sense in the offensive zone? Maybe he turns out to be a giant version of Brodin?
Maybe his coach holds him back or partner? the video of his highlights I saw had him going end to end dekeing people and scoring which you don't expect given his stat line. time will tell I suppose but I like the gamble on him.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

If he turns into a giant version of Brodin that is a humongous big win.

Reactions: Marlowe Syn

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
somebody on mn wild mgmt. likes him and we're getting a 5th pick for the cost of a 7th plus his draft plus 2 experience. works for me.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
If he turns into a giant version of Brodin that is a humongous big win.

Agreed. I'm thinking that's probably a best case scenario based on the little I actually know about this kid's game. I wasn't meaning to compare them in any way besides their skill level in relation to how few points they actually put up in their respective leagues.

kthomasf

Jun 29, 2018
I would temper expectations slightly.
As for a scouting report, as someone who has watched and followed. He certainly has some tools, but depending on the strength of your AHL team, he should/will probably be needing time in the ECHL. I think myself and I'm sure the Maple Leaf organization would have liked to sign him to an AHL deal and have him start in the ECHL, which is something they have done with several draft picks who were not worth an ELC.
He is kind of the opposite of most project big dmen. The opposite of a guy like Keaton Middleton, who the Leafs left unsigned last year, who has the intangibles and smarts, but is in need of skating and puck moving improvement. Gordeev can skate and has hands, but doesn't seem to have the greatest IQ. He was the 5th dman on the OHL champions as a 20 year old. This is not the greatest indication of future success. I really like the kid from interviews, flashes of skill, and such, and hope he turns into a solid pro player. However, I would start by hoping he can develop into a full-time AHL regular. I hope you can help him develop. He really is one of those random prospects that I have over followed and liked. I am sure you can all relate.

My main question for Wild fans, and the only reason I came to post here, which is something I rarely do, why didn't Fenton just wait until he was a free agent? As of June 1, the Leafs lost his rights anyways, and he would not have been redrafted. I doubt teams were lining up to give a very precious ELC to him. I know it was only a seventh rounder, but it seems like a wasted assest. The Leafs made a similar trade with Edmonton last summer, where they dumped Nolan Vesey (6th rounder) for a 7th right before his rights expired August 15th. Vesey signed an ELC and it definitely seems like a waste for the Oilers. Gordeev is a better prospect then Vesey, but again thoughts?

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
My main question for Wild fans, and the only reason I came to post here, which is something I rarely do, why didn't Fenton just wait until he was a free agent? As of June 1, the Leafs lost his rights anyways, and he would not have been redrafted. I doubt teams were lining up to give a very precious ELC to him. I know it was only a seventh rounder, but it seems like a wasted assest. The Leafs made a similar trade with Edmonton last summer, where they dumped Nolan Vesey (6th rounder) for a 7th right before his rights expired August 15th. Vesey signed an ELC and it definitely seems like a waste for the Oilers. Gordeev is a better prospect then Vesey, but again thoughts?

To answer your question, Fenton is terrible GM.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
A 7th rounder is 95% likely to be nothing anyways. Maybe he sent it to get the deal done before other teams could try and sign him :dunno:

Reactions: Wabit

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I would temper expectations slightly.
As for a scouting report, as someone who has watched and followed. He certainly has some tools, but depending on the strength of your AHL team, he should/will probably be needing time in the ECHL. I think myself and I'm sure the Maple Leaf organization would have liked to sign him to an AHL deal and have him start in the ECHL, which is something they have done with several draft picks who were not worth an ELC.
He is kind of the opposite of most project big dmen. The opposite of a guy like Keaton Middleton, who the Leafs left unsigned last year, who has the intangibles and smarts, but is in need of skating and puck moving improvement. Gordeev can skate and has hands, but doesn't seem to have the greatest IQ. He was the 5th dman on the OHL champions as a 20 year old. This is not the greatest indication of future success. I really like the kid from interviews, flashes of skill, and such, and hope he turns into a solid pro player. However, I would start by hoping he can develop into a full-time AHL regular. I hope you can help him develop. He really is one of those random prospects that I have over followed and liked. I am sure you can all relate.

You can't sign NHL draft picks to AHL only contracts. The Wild would have had to let Gordeev go back into this years draft and either use a pick on him or hope that he doesn't get taken. Why in the world would anyone do that if they felt that he was worth signing to a contract?

Reactions: Wabit

kthomasf

Jun 29, 2018
You can't sign NHL draft picks to AHL only contracts. The Wild would have had to let Gordeev go back into this years draft and either use a pick on him or hope that he doesn't get taken. Why in the world would anyone do that if they felt that he was worth signing to a contract?
Once the draft is over they can sign AHL deals. The Leafs have done this with several of their draft picks whose rights have expired.
And because no one else would likely redraft him, and they would only be competing with AHL offers after the draft. It is just not a sign of good asset management.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Once the draft is over they can sign AHL deals. The Leafs have done this with several of their draft picks whose rights have expired.
And because no one else would likely redraft him, and they would only be competing with AHL offers after the draft. It is just not a sign of good asset management.

Who says nobody drafts him? GMPF (or another GM) could just as easily have used a draft pick on him this year. Overagers get taken all the time in the later rounds of the draft. If he's a guy the GM and wants to take a flyer on, for a 7th rounder on before before the draft so be it.

If it would have been Hendricks traded for this guys rights at the TDL it would have been looked at as a win for GMPF.

Reactions: 2Pair
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad