Confirmed with Link: [MIN] Signs D Ryan Murphy (1yr/2way, 700K)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae

No risk. Good depth signing. Who knows, Murphy might still turn it around. Unlikely, but possible.

Recent stats, courtesy of Eliteprospects:

nasxIAW.png

Anyone out here who has followed him closely? What happened, and how has he looked in general?

Last edited:

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Fringe bottom pair RHD with NHL protected minutes, or a quality pickup for Iowa. High pick with some potential, just hasn't figured out the NHL game.

I'd take Prosser over him, mosst of the time.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
Iowa signing with a maybe a call up here and there. Maybe we'll get lucky and he will unleash his inner Prosser.

dBoon

Sep 28, 2004
So, I thought Murphy was pretty good vs. Vegas. Very good skater, willing to put the puck on net.

Oh, and that poke check: Kuba would have been proud.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, I thought Quincey was OK at first.

Given time, water will find it's level.

I still miss Leopold's game as a #6. I thought he was pretty good. Had some skills, decent judgement , and was dependable, within reason. Wild could use a guy like that.

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
I think Murphy has looked mediocre. Not saying that's a bad thing and not saying he shouldn't dress up again, but nothing noteworthy really. Apart from that poke check of course. He seems to turn the puck over a lot in the D zone, takes too much time to make a decision where to put it. On the other hand, he's looked good in the offensive zone supporting the play and hanging on the puck. Because of his contract I don't mind having him in the rotation.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I think Murphy has looked mediocre. Not saying that's a bad thing and not saying he shouldn't dress up again, but nothing noteworthy really. Apart from that poke check of course. He seems to turn the puck over a lot in the D zone, takes too much time to make a decision where to put it. On the other hand, he's looked good in the offensive zone supporting the play and hanging on the puck. Because of his contract I don't mind having him in the rotation.

This was my main critique too. Almost led to disaster a couple times but he got a little lucky.

dBoon

Sep 28, 2004
Well, it was only his 2nd NHL game in a while. The potential looked promising to me once he catches up. He does have the track record of a tweener, but still only 24.

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
This was my main critique too. Almost led to disaster a couple times but he got a little lucky.

Exactly.

I thought he looked a lot better against the Blues last night. This time he didn't take his time with the puck in the D zone but instead got rid of it quickly and wisely, for the most parts.

He only clocked a tad over 14 minutes, so he wasn't facing the toughest competition but when ever he was thrown out there, I think he did okay. Played it smart and used his mobility a couple of times to skate the puck out of the D zone. He didn't even seem to struggle that much, if at all fighting in the corners or cutting wingers off the puck on a dump in.

If he can build from this, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets to stay for a while even after Spurgeon returns.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Thought he looked okay. Rushed the puck a few times, which was nice. Typically only see that consistently from Reilly.

He's smaller than I expected, especially wearing #6 - I'm used to seeing Scandella. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad