Trade: [MIN/DET] T.J. Hockenson, 2023 4th, 2024 conditional 4th for 2023 2nd and 2024 3rd

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I remember James Mitchell because he went to Virginia Tech, but that's a whole lot of woof there.
We're talking about Detroit here. There is a whole lotta woof everywhere.

Hockenson is not a bad player by any stretch. But he is not in that first tier TE group(Andrews, Kelce, Kittle) and not worth sinking a lot of money into resigning. His trade value won't be any higher than it is right now either.

I can see him putting up better numbers on a better team. But he just went from Jared Goff to Kirk Cousins. Which, records and stats aside, is a push to me.

Reactions: GKJ and DaaaaB's

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I understand why Detroit made the trade but I wish they got a better return. I'm assuming they keep the second 4th if Hock re-signs with Minny.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
I understand why Detroit made the trade but I wish they got a better return. I'm assuming they keep the second 4th if Hock re-signs with Minny.
The later pick becomes a 5th rounder, if the Vikings win a playoff game in the meantime. The return might not be overwhelming, but Hockenson is not a superstar either and in the more expensive stages of his entry contract.

Gruß,
BSHH

Reactions: DaaaaB's

Reality Check

May 28, 2008

On second thought, I'll give this trade a push.

Detroit dragging themselves out of the gutter improves the 4th rounder they gave up this year. Minnesota going out early enhances that 2nd round pick while the swap next year is still an improvement.

Hockenson did play well for Minnesota. But they are cap strapped, have to decide if they will now pay Hockenson big bucks, only have a handful of picks and need help badly on defense. Meanwhile Hockenson wasn't missed at all in Detroit.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
On second thought, I'll give this trade a push.

Detroit dragging themselves out of the gutter improves the 4th rounder they gave up this year. Minnesota going out early enhances that 2nd round pick while the swap next year is still an improvement.

Hockenson did play well for Minnesota. But they are cap strapped, have to decide if they will now pay Hockenson big bucks, only have a handful of picks and need help badly on defense. Meanwhile Hockenson wasn't missed at all in Detroit.
The trade was a win for both teams. The Vikings needed a TE, Hockenson was quite productive for them and will likely be a factor next season as well. He is a much better fit in Minnesota's system than in Detroit's. Anyway, the Lions gained draft capital, shed salary and can develop their three younger TEs, who almost replaced Hockenson's production already.

Gruß,
BSHH

Sep 19, 2008

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1