Trade: [MIN/DET] T.J. Hockenson, 2023 4th, 2024 conditional 4th for 2023 2nd and 2024 3rd

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I'm sure Minnesota took a look around the NFC and figured they have a good a chance as anyone after Philly. Plus I believe this comes with an extra year on Hockenson's deal. Kind of surprised the Lions did this in-division.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

He gets around the same return as CMC. He is in year 4 right now. Think they did pick up his 5th year option this summer.
Odd move but this is a deep TE draft class. Still, a top 10 pick got dealt.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
What am I missing why did Detroit do this
Hockenson wasn't featured in their offense and they probably didn't want to pay a fairly average TE big money after next season when there are so many needs elsewhere and.... Tank of course because that's what the Lions do best.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Hockenson wasn't featured in their offense and they probably didn't want to pay a fairly average TE big money after next season when there are so many needs elsewhere and.... Tank of course because that's what the Lions do best.
Top 10 pick in 2019 draft. Unless you are getting Kelce/Kittle calibre if either top end receiver or great combo guy top 10 is too high for a TE.

Vikings have Irv Smith as their TE. So either a switch to a 21 personnel with 2 TE to run with Cook or be a match up problem for Defneces. Likely means smith leaves via free agency.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
What am I missing why did Detroit do this
Hockenson came with lots of praise, but never became a good blocker. His cap hit next year is rather substantial as well.

The Lions surely won't contend this year and very likely next year either. So trading away the player within the division seems to have little lasting effects. The Tigers and the Vikings made their last trade on draft day, by the way.

Picking Hockenson at #8 was another of Quinn's ideas that didn't turn out to be great. Obviously the new GM is less attached to this player (and has drafted another TE recently). The value seems fair to me, although I don't know about the conditions for the second pick the Vikings might acquire. Adding a capable offensive TE should help the Vikings a lot.

Gruß,
BSHH

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I didn't see this one coming, I think Hockenson is better than people are letting on here.

Reactions: Avs_19

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Top 10 pick in 2019 draft. Unless you are getting Kelce/Kittle calibre if either top end receiver or great combo guy top 10 is too high for a TE.

Vikings have Irv Smith as their TE. So either a switch to a 21 personnel with 2 TE to run with Cook or be a match up problem for Defneces. Likely means smith leaves via free agency.
It was a mistake taking Hockenson in the first place. It would have been an even bigger mistake to pay him big money in an offense that doesn't really feature the tight end. I think he's a better fit in the Vikings offense where they've historically used their tight ends more.

Essentially, I agree with you. They were hoping to get a Kelce/Kittle level TE but instead got a pretty run for the mill guy. Hock is above average but he's going to want top 5 TE money, the Lions can't afford to pay him that when they have such vast needs elsewhere and they get a couple of improved magic beans out of it so it's a fine trade for both sides.

Reactions: BSHH

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Oh. Minny is getting a 2023 4th and another pick in 2024.

Basically:

Detroit moves from a 4th to a late second. That is like 45-50 spots in the draft.

In 2024 they get a 3rd and will give up either a 4th or 5th. That could be only 15 spots or something to upwards of 45 spots.

Doesn’t seem as good a return in that light.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Hockenson came with lots of praise, but never became a good blocker. His cap hit next year is rather substantial as well.

The Lions surely won't contend this year and very likely next year either. So trading away the player within the division seems to have little lasting effects. The Tigers and the Vikings made their last trade on draft day, by the way.

Picking Hockenson at #8 was another of Quinn's ideas that didn't turn out to be great. Obviously the new GM is less attached to this player (and has drafted another TE recently). The value seems fair to me, although I don't know about the conditions for the second pick the Vikings might acquire. Adding a capable offensive TE should help the Vikings a lot.

Gruß,
BSHH
Ok thank you

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Who the hell is Detroit's tight end now?

It may not be featured in the offense, but Jared Goff is still the QB, so he will make sure he is.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
Who the hell is Detroit's tight end now?

It may not be featured in the offense, but Jared Goff is still the QB, so he will make sure he is.
Mainly Brock Wright and rookie James Mitchell will be Detroit's TEs now. Both showed decent signs recently. But this season is - once again - lost anyway.

Gruß,
BSHH

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Mainly Brock Wright and rookie James Mitchell will be Detroit's TEs now. Both showed decent signs recently. But this season is - once again - lost anyway.

Gruß,
BSHH
I remember James Mitchell because he went to Virginia Tech, but that's a whole lot of woof there.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Definitely a fan of this move. Irv Smith Jr is out for an extended period of time, and Hockenson is better anyway. I think he'll fit right into our offense. Like seeing that we're going for it after our 6-1 start.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Definitely a fan of this move. Irv Smith Jr is out for an extended period of time, and Hockenson is better anyway. I think he'll fit right into our offense. Like seeing that we're going for it after our 6-1 start.
They lost to Philly already so need to finish ahead of them in the standings to get the top seed. So they need to keep winning to have that be possible. Hock is signed through next season. Smith finishes his contract this year.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Don't mind this. Irv Smith wasn't doing much and is always hurt (and him being out 6-10 weeks now is probably why they made this move.) and value isn't terrible. The only healthy TE on the roster was Johnny Mundt. (3rd stringer Ben Ellefson is also on IR)

Hopefully he can suck some safeties in and open up more shots down the field which the Vikings have done very little of so far this year.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Don't mind this. Irv Smith wasn't doing much and is always hurt (and him being out 6-10 weeks now is probably why they made this move.) and value isn't terrible. The only healthy TE on the roster was Johnny Mundt. (3rd stringer Ben Ellefson is also on IR)

Hopefully he can suck some safeties in and open up more shots down the field which the Vikings have done very little of so far this year.
Honestly it’s not a great return for Detroit. But I get the benefit of going from around pick 105 to pick 58 or something this year. But still. He goes for that little after being a top 10 pick.

More like 35 spots.

Minnesota is probably going to draft in the 20s so around 50-64. Detroit will draft in the top 5-10.
It’s a 4th that Detroit is sending to Minny. That is likely to be in the 105 range, after the comp picks are awarded for round 3. Minny’s pick Will be close to 60 based on record.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Love this trade for the Vikings. They needed another playmaker and I think he's going to fit this offense very well. They've gotten next to no production from their TE position this season, even with teams doubling Jefferson nearly all game every game. You do that now and you'll have to deal with a few different options, including one of the most athletic TEs in the league. Big difference in catch radius too between a 6'5" Hockenson and a 6'2" Smith and that matters even more when you have a risk adverse QB like Kirk. He hasn't lived up to his draft status but he was also on a terrible team. I think he'll be a very good compliment to Jefferson and could be a long-term addition as well since he's only 25.

Irv Smith is injured yet again and just hasn't lived up to expectations this season. Could be because of injuries or something else but it just hasn't clicked and I wouldn't be surprised if he's played his last game as a Viking. He's expected to be out 8-10 weeks and is a FA after the season. He had already been losing snaps to Mundt.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00