Confirmed Trade: [MIN/CHI] Marc-Andre Fleury for 2022 conditional 1st round pick

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I initially thought this didn't make sense because I think a Talbot-Kahkonen goalie duo looks pretty good to me, and their stats are fairly solid on the year. But thinking about it more, this year might be an "all-in" year for Minnesota because of the Parise and Suter buyouts.

The team is legitimately good this year and they're going to be up shit creek with the cap due to those buyouts next year. Why not go for it this year when it's realistically your best chance?

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
If it's at the cost of a 1st (apparently what Chicago is asking for), no thanks. I'm also not sure what else the team would have as far as prospects to even offer for Fleury. Sure AF better not be Rossi.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
The only thing that makes sense is the proximity to chicago for maf family...

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
If it's at the cost of a 1st (apparently what Chicago is asking for), no thanks. I'm also not sure what else the team would have as far as prospects to even offer for Fleury. Sure AF better not be Rossi.
As a hawks fan I don’t think he will return a first. My guess a second and maybe a prospect

Reactions: Sinbad

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
They could be planning to bring Wallstedt over next season and actually think he is NHL ready.

I am not saying I agree outright, but that is also likely key to this rumor.

If that's the case, I could see something like Kahkonen and a 2nd for Fleury, letting Fleury walk after the year and then running with Talbot-Wallstedt next year.

Reactions: Sinbad

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If that's the case, I could see something like Kahkonen and a 2nd for Fleury, letting Fleury walk after the year and then running with Talbot-Wallstedt next year.

Sounds like atrocious asset management for the Wild. Also sounds like they're probably pretty stupid if they believe a 19 year old that's played like 3 games in the last 3 months is going to be NHL reason next season.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
I can see Fleury waiving for Minnesota. The commute for his family isn't nearly as dire as the other places mentioned.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Can’t see MAF leaving home to play in a rental situation , unless he negotiates a somewhat long term deal before hand where he can have stability for 1/2/3 more years. But Wilds cap situation next few years doesn’t fit with adding that much salary on a goalie when the 2 they already have are pretty damn good or at least decent

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Can’t see MAF leaving home to play in a rental situation , unless he negotiates a somewhat long term deal before hand where he can have stability for 1/2/3 more years. But Wilds cap situation next few years doesn’t fit with adding that much salary on a goalie when the 2 they already have are pretty damn good or at least decent
Pretty easy flight for the last few months of the season/playoffs from minny to chicago.

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada

Fleury has been one of the worst goaltenders in the league this year. I certainly hope Minnesota wastes good assets on him.
Like Grubhauer at Seattle, a lot of goalies will come to Earth statistically when the team in front of them is not good defensively. Having said that, IMHO the biggest single downside to Fleury is that he tends to lose his head in the playoffs. Last year in the semifinals against the Habs, he made a horrific pass from behind the net to an open Habs player who gently nudged it into the net for the backbreaking goal of the series. Great regular season player, playoffs not so much.

Pestilence

Jan 17, 2016
Köklax, Finland
I initially thought this didn't make sense because I think a Talbot-Kahkonen goalie duo looks pretty good to me, and their stats are fairly solid on the year. But thinking about it more, this year might be an "all-in" year for Minnesota because of the Parise and Suter buyouts.

The team is legitimately good this year and they're going to be up shit creek with the cap due to those buyouts next year. Why not go for it this year when it's realistically your best chance?

Is MAF the answer though if Talbot+Kähkönen is playing well enough though, could they use the assets somehow better than on a rental goalie when it's not the greatest position of weakness 🤔

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad