Confirmed Trade: [MIN/BUF] Marcus Johansson for Eric Staal

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Staal is a very smart player who knows how to get offense in the NHL. Even when he's playing well he doesn't look all that impressive(except for his goal celebrations), but just keeps showing up on the stat sheet. Not physical, but uses his size and reach. Average at best defensively. He's not fast, but not as slow as he looks(big man long stride syndrome). I would worry about his game if he is not engaged. Sabres are in for something good if his pride is hurt, and he decides to show the league something.

Even if he mails it in in BUF they won this trade. The guy is a 3.25M cap hit who goes away after next year. He is the ideal piece to move at the TDL to a contender, also.

It is indefensible from MN's standpoint. I understand that Guerin wanted to shake things up in MN, but he rushed to make this trade for a player that isn't a fit. You would think that he would trade for a young C first, THEN trade Staal , but instead he's done it ass backwards, and painted himself into a corner.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Staal is a very smart player who knows how to get offense in the NHL. Even when he's playing well he doesn't look all that impressive(except for his goal celebrations), but just keeps showing up on the stat sheet. Not physical, but uses his size and reach. Average at best defensively. He's not fast, but not as slow as he looks(big man long stride syndrome). I would worry about his game if he is not engaged. Sabres are in for something good if his pride is hurt, and he decides to show the league something.

Even if he mails it in in BUF they won this trade. The guy is a 3.25M cap hit who goes away after next year. He is the ideal piece to move at the TDL to a contender, also.

It is indefensible from MN's standpoint. I understand that Guerin wanted to shake things up in MN, but he rushed to make this trade for a player that isn't a fit. You would think that he would trade for a young C first, THEN trade Staal , but instead he's done it ass backwards, and painted himself into a corner.

So Guerin did the Botterill special

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
Staal did an interview with the Sabres radio affiliate saying he’s exited and will report. So there goes the theory that he’s just going to retire.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
But Guerin did boost a position of strength in the hopes of dealing from it to boost a position of weakness, no?
I don't know that MIN has a position of strength. And Staal being there isn't really doing much long term for their weakness. I mean, they didn't get better that's for sure.

Basically seems like a spin your wheels kinda deal.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
But Guerin did boost a position of strength in the hopes of dealing from it to boost a position of weakness, no?
The word seems to be that Guerin and Evason genuinely see Johansson as a center. Now I don't agree with that, Sabres fans don't agree with that, and Johansson himself might not agree with that. I don't know. But they seem to view him as the 2C for next year. We'll have to wait and see how badly they're misjudging him.

Reactions: seagull

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015

listeneing to the 2 interviews he gave yesterday (one to buffalo media and the other to the instigators radio show) there is no doubt in my mind that he is playing for Buffalo next season. He made it clear that he is playing.

Also, our GM was a mentor to Staal in his rookie year in Carolina (as Staal himself said). I believe their lockers were next to each other (but I’m not sure). Their wives are friends. Adams used to have Staal over to his house all the time.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I doubt the roster configuration in Buffalo is going to give Staal top 6 C minutes by default. He’ll have to outperform the younger Reinhart. Or injury strikes Eichel and/or Reinhart.
Nope. He is immediately our #2 C by default. He will have absolutely no trouble getting top 6 minutes behind Eichel. 2C was by far the biggest hole on the team. It’s been a huge issue ever since our last GM dumbly traded ROR away for a couple magic beans and a couple of overpaid, washed up vets.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Staal is definitely more of an offensive, than defensive guy, though. BUF should not expect a shutdown C.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

listeneing to the 2 interviews he gave yesterday (one to buffalo media and the other to the instigators radio show) there is no doubt in my mind that he is playing for Buffalo next season. He made it clear that he is playing.

Was that ever in question?

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
The word seems to be that Guerin and Evason genuinely see Johansson as a center. Now I don't agree with that, Sabres fans don't agree with that, and Johansson himself might not agree with that. I don't know. But they seem to view him as the 2C for next year. We'll have to wait and see how badly they're misjudging him.

Well, he lost his 2C spot in Buffalo to Vladimir Sobotka.
E: And didn't even get it back when Sobotka got injured.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Not many teams handing out young C's. Not good ones anyway. It does seem like Staal would have more value at the deadline than Johansson for Minnesota, at least as of today, but, realistically, what are you going to get for what by then would be a 36 year old, who could even decline a trade to a contender if that team is on his no-trade list?

If the Wild want a young C, they have to draft one.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Hell of a combination.

:laugh: Well, we ran out of halfway decent wingers pretty quickly (pretty steep drop-off after Olofsson, Reinhart, and Skinner before we added Kahun). I also think Sobotka was just one of those guys who got/bought into Krueger's system really quickly, so the coach liked him more than he should have.

Reactions: Bazeek

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad