Miller vs. Lack

OlWpgJet

Oct 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm thinking that Miller isn't the elite goalie anymore that he used to be and that Lack might be the better goalie of the two. Miller's contract guarantees him the inside track on starting the season I think but not sure how long that will last . Probably a healthy split of games either way. Have one of them in a hockey draft and wondering what Vancouver fans that are better in the know on this matter are thinking. Miller can have a bounce back year too and not entirely sure how good Lack is but hope to find out what you guys think.

thehockeyfanatic

Oct 1, 2010
I'm thinking that Miller isn't the elite goalie anymore that he used to be and that Lack might be the better goalie of the two. Miller's contract guarantees him the inside track on starting the season I think but not sure how long that will last . Probably a healthy split of games either way. Have one of them in a hockey draft and wondering what Vancouver fans that are better in the know on this matter are thinking. Miller can have a bounce back year too and not entirely sure how good Lack is but hope to find out what you guys think.

Barring injury or incredibly poor play Miller will play substantially more games than Lack. Because the stated goal of the organization is to be "competitive" and challenge for the playoffs every year it made sense to sign Miller given the limited track record of Lack. Miller is the number 1 goalie going into the season.

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
I have a strange feeling of deja vu right now. Can't put a finger on it...

I think the reason we only signed Miller for 3 years is that the management is expecting that during that time, Lack will take over as #1, and we're not left hamstrung for many years. We could in fact still trade Miller if it happens in year #2 at the deadline to a team needing a goalie to end the controversy quickly.

ARSix

Mar 12, 2012
Yeah that worked out pretty well last time.

I doubt Lack gets enough starts to take Miller's job, barring an injury to him.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
i wouldnt be surprised if lack took millers job

The beauty of the situation is that neither is going to steal the net for 60+ games. Even if Lack outplays Miller… and he just might… Miller will always get back in the net. Just like Luongo did. That's a great way to get a good long look at Lack, have good goaltending depth, and get Lack on another good contract *even he does take the net. Think Luongo/Schneider 2010/2011. It took Schneider those two years to take the net and then he didn't have the resume to command big money.

10/11 25 gp .929 sv% 900k

11/12 33 gp .937 sv% 900k

12/13 30 gp .927 sv% 4m

13/14 45 gp .921 sv% 4m

Plus he has another year at 4m. If the Canucks had cut bait with Luongo after the 2011/12 season they could have got incredible value out of Schneider over those contracts. I hope it works out exactly the same…. except Benning knows when to cut bait with Miller.

Love

Feb 29, 2012

This is exactly what I posted in the Miller signing thread on the main board the moment the news broke that he had signed.

Problem is, even if Lack outplays him he wont get more starts.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

I would. It won't happen even if Lack outplays Miller. Team just went all in on Miller. The only way it will happen is when/if Miller is moved towards the end of his contract - even then it will be orchestrated not to look like Lack took it.

btdvox

Jul 5, 2013
Vancouver
I think Miller will do well here, I'm saying Miller > Lack for the next 2 years, but IMO, Lack isn't starter material and I'm not the biggest fan, he's too slow laterally.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
I would. It won't happen even if Lack outplays Miller. Team just went all in on Miller. The only way it will happen is when/if Miller is moved towards the end of his contract - even then it will be orchestrated not to look like Lack took it.

All in?

A 3 year deal where the player takes up 8% of the team's cap is not going "all in". I think if Lack takes Miller's job Miller is traded. Thus far Lack has not proven himself capable of starting 60+ games per year, hence the Miller signing.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
All in?

A 3 year deal where the player takes up 8% of the team's cap is not going "all in". I think if Lack takes Miller's job Miller is traded. Thus far Lack has not proven himself capable of starting 60+ games per year, hence the Miller signing.

34 yo starter to $6m. All in, playoffs or bust.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver

His age isn't really relevant and we needed a starter. Again - he takes up 8% of our cap space. That is not "all in". He has a reasonable deal that ends when he's 37. I'm sure Jim Beam can find a taker easily if Lack outplays him.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I fully expect that we're going to have a goaltender controversy almost immediately. Lack was really, really good last year until struggling late when the entire team was imploding and I think he's ready for another big step forward this year.

Additionally, Lack is one of the most likable guys in the sport while Miller is the exact opposite. It won't take much for the fanbase to turn on Miller, hard.

His age isn't really relevant and we needed a starter. Again - he takes up 8% of our cap space. That is not "all in". He has a reasonable deal that ends when he's 37. I'm sure Jim Beam can find a taker easily if Lack outplays him.

Nobody else was seriously interested in Miller this year, and he's already the 2nd-oldest starter in the NHL right now.

If he is outplayed by Lack and loses the starting job here, he'll be completely untradeable.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011

Miller is all in. For the Canucks, 3 years is 3 years, whatever the age of the goalie. I'm still not a fan of the signing but it's not a killer.

JA

Sign on a weak team. Get traded to a contender at the deadline in a year or two. Miller knows whats up.

The Canucks trade money for future assets (if we eventually trade Miller/he agrees to a trade), essentially. In the next three years, we are guaranteed to have two potential starters -- Miller and Lack. This will keep the team strong in net and aid the organization's goal of remaining competitive during these next few years.

It's a short-term 1A 1B situation if Eddie can elevate his game and Miller can remain an adequate goaltender.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
Even if Läck plays better than Miller I think that it is important for Läck to have Miller to compete with and at the same time have as a solid partner. Läck can easily thrive in that situation, compared to having it all on his shoulders with Markström as a backup. In addition Läck get another good veteran goalie to learn from.

It will all pan out well, 1a & 1b.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Unless Lack proves otherwise, I still don't see him as a legitimate #1 goalie. Miller will be the #1 and he'll be solid.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Wonder if Halak doesn't pan out we can trade Miller to the Isles for a 2nd round pick.

Would be great just to see Miller relieve Halak of his duties once again.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I think Miller will do well here, I'm saying Miller > Lack for the next 2 years, but IMO, Lack isn't starter material and I'm not the biggest fan, he's too slow laterally.

Pretty much this.

Let's not lose sight of the fact that Lack outplayed Luongo last year when Lou was still here...........and then we all saw how Lack played once Luongo was dealt.

Lack has potential, but he's clearly not ready yet in my opinion.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
I fully expect that we're going to have a goaltender controversy almost immediately. Lack was really, really good last year until struggling late when the entire team was imploding and I think he's ready for another big step forward this year.

Additionally, Lack is one of the most likable guys in the sport while Miller is the exact opposite. It won't take much for the fanbase to turn on Miller, hard.

Nobody else was seriously interested in Miller this year, and he's already the 2nd-oldest starter in the NHL right now.

If he is outplayed by Lack and loses the starting job here, he'll be completely untradeable.

Do you have a source for this or is it just more random imaginary ********?

I highly doubt he'll be "completely untradeable". He's 34 years old on a reasonable deal with an AAV of 6 when the cap continues to go up. We got him for nothing, and may trade him for nothing.

If there is a goalie controversy I expect Benning to act decisively and get the job done, just as he has acted up to this point in time. Maybe he won't get full value and we will see a lot of hand-wringing on this forum but it won't be an issue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad