Confirmed with Link: Miller to the Sabres for a 2nd (STL) and a 5th

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Should have traded him at the deadline when they knew they were going to spend to the cap, and prices for RHD were sky high

Then they could have spent some assets on a proper bottom pairing RD.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Should have traded him at the deadline when they knew they were going to spend to the cap, and prices for RHD were sky high

Then they could have spent some assets on a proper bottom pairing RD.

I was thinking 2nd and 3rd but a 2nd and 5th is decent.

If they can trade two of Eakin, Reaves or Holden without giving up more than that 2nd and 5th then I think we are fine.

I think Eakin should not cost anything, and I think that 2nd and 5th could help us trade Reaves and Holden if teams were being difficult.

Sign Gusev, do not trade.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I was thinking 2nd and 3rd but a 2nd and 5th is decent.

If they can trade two of Eakin, Reaves or Holden without giving up more than that 2nd and 5th then I think we are fine.

I think Eakin should not cost anything, and I think that 2nd and 5th could help us trade Reaves and Holden if teams were being difficult.

Sign Gusev, do not trade.

Eakin isn't going anywhere unless they want to undo everything they've done to get the 2-way C depth they've built up to the point. They have 3 Cs that can

Reaves? I'll believe it when I see it. But I hate the sharks so much I'd keep him out of spite because I know he drives them crazy.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Eakin isn't going anywhere unless they want to undo everything they've done to get the 2-way C depth they've built up to the point. They have 3 Cs that can

Reaves? I'll believe it when I see it. But I hate the sharks so much I'd keep him out of spite because I know he drives them crazy.

Who could we trade besides Holden? I think trading Gusev is counterintuitive to building a good team and kind of undoes some of the steps forward so I think Reaves is the only one.

Maybe trade a 3rd and Holden for some prospect, trade a 2nd (we have 3) and Reaves for a prospect (maybe he gets bought out for 925k the next two seasons and gets signed by us for 925k.) LTIR Clarkson and I think we are fine.

Then I think we could keep the rest of the players.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Who could we trade besides Holden? I think trading Gusev is counterintuitive to building a good team and kind of undoes some of the steps forward so I think Reaves is the only one.

Maybe trade a 3rd and Holden for some prospect, trade a 2nd (we have 3) and Reaves for a prospect (maybe he gets bought out for 925k the next two seasons and gets signed by us for 925k.) LTIR Clarkson and I think we are fine.

Then I think we could keep the rest of the players.

There's room for Gusev at 3.5m without moving Eakin or Reaves even with a full 23 man roster. Barely.

4m with a 22 man roster.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
There's room for Gusev at 3.5m without moving Eakin or Reaves even with a full 23 man roster. Barely.

4m with a 22 man roster.

I think I want the three lines of power especially with our defense.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Difference in theoretical value between a 3rd and a 5th isn't that much so decent enough value. I'm really hopeful this means they replace his minutes with a rookie, not just cycling more Engelland shifts through. This year is really going to tell the future story of this franchise, if the coaches and GMs are willing to let kids grow and make mistakes at the NHL level, or if they are going to go Sharks on us and act like a shitty veteran beats a promising rookie every time.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
So this 2nd that we picked up...looks like it’ll be a late 2nd. Is this what we are going to ship out to rid ourselves of Clarkson?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
This year is really going to tell the future story of this franchise, if the coaches and GMs are willing to let kids grow and make mistakes at the NHL level, or if they are going to go Sharks on us and act like a ****ty veteran beats a promising rookie every time.

Ah, nope. That's not how the Sharks operate. Just ask the journeymen who cleared waivers and got assigned to AHL after rookie outplayed them in camp.

Merit FTW.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I loved Miller’s dogged determination and ability to often fight with the big dogs around the net. He was a joy to watch. Buffalo got a solid veteran scorer here.

Personally I wasn't a fan of the antics and embellishment. You can tell he spent too much time around Brad Marchand.

I want the Golden Knights to play honest and tough hockey.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Ah, nope. That's not how the Sharks operate. Just ask the journeymen who cleared waivers and got assigned to AHL after rookie outplayed them in camp.

Merit FTW.

Yeah right. We're talking about Doug Wilson and PDB???

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
I would prefer to keep Eakin over Reaves. He only makes a million more and is so much more consequential to the team.

Agreed and that said I will admit that I'm not a big fan of Reaves. But honestly I don't think either of those guys are in the long term plans. This year we could see some pressure placed on Eakin, for example, if we get a best-case return on Glass & Roy this year.

Either way I am excited to see us enter the window where the first wave of prospects are options for roles. It's gonna be fun to watch things unfold this offseason.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Get rid of Holden and we're 1.3M under the cap with 12F4D1G signed. Remove Clarkson's contract from the equation and we're 6.55M under the cap, should be just about manageable to sign everybody, but it'll be tight.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Agreed and that said I will admit that I'm not a big fan of Reaves. But honestly I don't think either of those guys are in the long term plans. This year we could see some pressure placed on Eakin, for example, if we get a best-case return on Glass & Roy this year.

Either way I am excited to see us enter the window where the first wave of prospects are options for roles. It's gonna be fun to watch things unfold this offseason.
Eakin will be interesting to follow because Stastny turns 34 this year.

Reactions: Vegas Mac

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
Eakin will be interesting to follow because Stastny turns 34 this year.

Good point, but as Stats is phased out I would think Glass fits nicely into his role; the Knights are probably planning things that way. And hopefully we see some movement from Roy in camp too, got my fingers crossed there but don't know much about him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad