Post-Game Talk (GBU): Miller > Hasek

Squantosawuss

Dec 10, 2010
B-lo
Goaltending is masking how bad this team really is....and that's saying something since we are the worst team in the standings.

That's abundantly clear when you look at the GF/GA numbers league-wide. For this team to be almost 30 goals behind the 29th ranked team in scoring, yet only be a -44 in the differential says a lot about Miller.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
G:
Miller with the save of the year
Girgensons in general but also his stick lift on a backcheck
Ennis
Omark again
Hodgson in the shootout
First win of the season on the road for Nolan?

B:
Hodgson in regulation

U:
Leino
Refs not calling high stick on Omark, football tackles in front of the net or the 5v4 Caps had in OT

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Of course. Who has ever said the players or coaches aren't trying to win?

That doesn't mean we're not factually tanking, that said tank isn't the best thing for us long term, or that management hasn't planned it that way.

Not sure I understand what is meant by "factually tanking"

I have full confidence (esp. after listening to Pat and our new GM) that mgmt is, has, and will do the necessary homework to analyze and evaluate where the team is likely to finish given its make up and talent. And will position themselves to make the most out of all situations including trades, resignings, etc. to put the organization in the best possible position to improve.

I call that doing one's due diligence and operating professionally starting from a realistic baseline (unlike say, Calgary under Feaster:laugh:).

Tanking to me has always conveyed an image of rolling over and laying down so as to finish as low in the standings as possible. Personally, I ALWAYS play to win. No matter the circumstances. That's my expectation of the Sabres organization.

Unfortunately, I get the impression that some around here feel the former is what is meant by "tanking".

Fortunately, you and I (and hopefully, others) seem to be thinking along the same lines as I've outlined above.

I sure don't want to finish up with a mid round 1st draft choice either. But if it happens, then we make the most of it. But, I seriously doubt that's gonna happen.

Konix

Lurkin'
Jul 7, 2013
Hamburg, NY
G:
- The face of the franchise, Mr. Miller!
- CoHo showing no signs of rust
- Omark with those precision passes
- Ennis looking a little sharper despite bad plays
- Shutting down Ovi for the most part
- Sulzer. Yeah, I said it.

B:
- Loss for the tank
- Edmonton is playing Chicago tonight

U:
- Brouwer and Wilson.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
U :

Bd0OOqfCYAABE0B.jpg:large

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
G; Hodgson's shoot out goal.
Seeing COHO and Ott discussing tactics on the bench
Omark's passing smarts - Nolan needs to put him with line mates who can anticipate what he's going to do.
Sabres competing in nearly every game.

Yeah they are boring, but now they are competing (for ice time at the very least - Leino excepted:laugh:).

B: Leino - Unlike some, I won't say he's worthless but will speculate that he's still hurting (no acceleration, ice awareness at all). Conversly,
Larsson's back in Rochester.:shakehead
Ehrhoff… not sure what's wrong with Christian…..:help:
Missing Myers on the blue line..

U: Caps broadcast team thinking Grubner (sp?) is the 2nd coming of goaltending:amazed:

Like others around here, I've met and known a few top athletes and based on my experience, there's no such thing as a "tank" to a professional athlete. Frankly, the tank references are getting old and a bit redundant.

Yeah, I know I don't have to post on to these boards either but c'mon, it's the best congregation of Sabre faithful out there. It's just getting boring that so many seem to view everything in terms of whether it helps or hurts the "tank".

There is no "tank" (at least I suspect, not in the locker room.)

Between us, I'd rather see them play hard and fail than be the dispirited bunch we all saw earlier this season (and nearly ruin our rookies on our way to the vaunted #1 draft slot.). Buffalo will play its way to whatever draft slot it "earns" It will be be a low one so I'm not worried about it.
I'm with you, man. They're going to end up with at least a top-5 pick this year. More than likely a top-3 pick. And they own the Isles pick which could end up top-5 especially if they don't re-sign Vanek. I'm not worried about obtaining prospects with scoring potential. The key is having scoring depth. Which can be obtained outside the top draft picks, or via trade. Proper development is my major concern.

RiotAct

Panickin' 4 Hanifin
Feb 28, 2007
Old Dominion State
How much was the split between Buffalo and Washington fans.

When I would go to games in Washington when I lived there it was about 40-50% Buffalo fans.

I would say maybe 15% or so today? I was down in 115 with my fiancee and there was a smattering there, but not too many.

Props to Jimmy's Old Town Tavern for doing the bus trip again :nod:

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
G:
Miller with the save of the year
Girgensons in general but also his stick lift on a backcheck
Ennis
Omark again
Hodgson in the shootout
First win of the season on the road for Nolan?

B:
Hodgson in regulation

U:
Leino
Refs not calling high stick on Omark, football tackles in front of the net or the 5v4 Caps had in OT

What?

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I thought both Ennis and Hodgson were very good tonight. A welcome change, as it always seems like at least one of them is off his game.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
G: Miller (Obviously)
Hodgson's shootout goal
Caps fans standing up to cheer the game winner, then...

B: Sulzer/Weber pairing.

U: Caps season ticket holder next to my daughter and I read on her kindle almost the whole game. I got the impression she did that every game.

The tank comments. Getting to be like bad knock-knock jokes.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
G: Miller (Obviously)
Hodgson's shootout goal
Caps fans standing up to cheer the game winner, then...

B: Sulzer/Weber pairing.

U: Caps season ticket holder next to my daughter and I read on her kindle almost the whole game. I got the impression she did that every game.

The tank comments. Getting to be like bad knock-knock jokes.

I feel the same way about winning in penalty kic...err, shootouts.

Konix

Lurkin'
Jul 7, 2013
Hamburg, NY
If the tank comments are bad knock-knock jokes, then the awful playoff pushes we make every year outta be top tier comedy.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
They're not jokes. It's every bit as serious as someone saying that loss was bad for the team's record.

I never said they were. I was comparing them to my opinion of bad knock-knock jokes. Thought I was pretty clear about that.

You know, bad knock-knock jokes get old very quickly...

Well, so do good knock-knock jokes, if there are any such.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I never said they were. I was comparing them to my opinion of bad knock-knock jokes. Thought I was pretty clear about that.

You know, bad knock-knock jokes get old very quickly...

I'm unclear as to what you want us to do about it. Stop talking about the most important thing this season?

You're not being very clear. "I never said tank comments were jokes. I compared them to my opinion of jokes." WTF does that even mean?

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
How much longer can Miller/Enroth post a GAA =< 1? This 1 goal per game team is simply not going to win a whole lot unless they find the back of the net.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Better than Hasek? LOL. Sorry, no. Put together the same string of seasons and we'll talk. This is Ryan's best season ever -- too bad it's for such a crap team. He might be the best goalie in the NHL this year. I'll laugh if Quick starts for USA

Squantosawuss

Dec 10, 2010
B-lo
Better than Hasek? LOL. Sorry, no. Put together the same string of seasons and we'll talk. This is Ryan's best season ever -- too bad it's for such a crap team. He might be the best goalie in the NHL this year. I'll laugh if Quick starts for USA

I hate to say this about Miller, but it seems his motivation to play well every 4 years, is the Olympics.

Seriously, look at his history. When you look at his save percentage, which is much more indicative of his abilities than wins, Miller's performance this year is almost identical to 4 years ago, but not before, after or in between.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
When the Sabres throw ridiculous money at Miller in the next couple weeks, will he take it?

G:
-Miller is in the best form of his career
-Hodgson a very nice game
-Foligno was better than usual

B:
-Wilson hit on McBain wasn't necessary.
-Faded out for parts, pretty dull game until Miller went bonkers

U:
-Flynn with the brutal own goal
-Sulzer is still the worst, he'll be on the bench when Myers comes back

Good, perfect time to trade him then....

Not sure if you were serious with the miller>hasek thing....If you were please refrain from comparing any present day Sabres to past Sabres because you obviously don't know what you are talking about....

Hasek is a Hall of Famer, and one of the all time great goaltenders.....

Miller is an average goalie that won't be come close to sniffing the Hall of Fame.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I hate to say this about Miller, but it seems his motivation to play well every 4 years, is the Olympics.

Seriously, look at his history. When you look at his save percentage, which is much more indicative of his abilities than wins, Miller's performance this year is almost identical to 4 years ago, but not before, after or in between.

Sounds like Sekera

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad