Miller and Hayes?

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Question for my Ranger brothers in here. With both these guys on pace for point a game seasons thus far with 15% of the season gone, we obviously don't think the two will end up with 80 or so points for each of them as the two of them are playing well above their pay grades.

Question tho, if I said Hayes ends up with 20 goals and 35 assists...55 points or so maybe even 60 and Miller ends up with 25 goals an 35 assists....60 points as well or so would y'all think that was realistic expectations considering the talent the two of them have combined with the fact we have 2 if not 3 other lines that opposing teams have to be concerned with? I really think the two of them can attain these numbers....what say you? Am I nuts?

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Kreider and Zibanejad have ably proved already thus far this season that players can go from utterly dominant to missing in action pretty quickly.

Streaks come and go.

That said, I'd be disappointed if they didn't both have career years.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Kreider and Zibanejad have ably proved already thus far this season that players can go from utterly dominant to missing in action pretty quickly.

Streaks come and go.

That said, I'd be disappointed if they didn't both have career years.

I hear ya and well said Nick. Both these guys have been playing so well it almost would be disappointing if they both didn't hit 50 points each at worst. Just trying to be realisic here and yet we all know about ebbs and low of players and teams but the reality of our team having 4 lines all of them that can score gives me confidence that Hayes and Miller even tho they won't keep up their current pace, should at worst get 50 points each if not 60 hence my original question. I'd think there is a 65% chance the two of them, injuries withstanding will garner their career highs. Just a question if they exceed them significantly.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
Miller and Hayes have both shown a very good work ethic. Games where they don't register on the points sheet, well that is pretty normal for all but the most elite talents. So far, both have shown that they have taken that next step. I am glad Hayes is here still. I was sick of him last year, and I don't beat myself up too hard because it didn't really look like Hayes was being too hard on himself either.
Miller has always looked like a player angry at himself when he lets himself down. I love that. Good for Hayes to show that character too.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Agreed, Hayes looks like a completely different player than last year and even better than his rookie year. He might be our best all-around player so far after the first 14 games.

Miller if you think about it, if he wasn't so snakebite could likely be leading the NHL in scoring which is remarkable, as he should have at least 6-7 or so more goals had he not missed wide open nets he missed on. That said we all know they can't keep this pace up. Or maybe just maye this the onset of a magical year for the both of them. The two of them along with Grabner have such great chemistry, of all the lines, I would not be surprised at all if AV keeps them together the whole season which would be amazing considering how often lines are mixed and matched by coaches of all teams.

Yes it's really early still but I really would be shocked to see any of the two...Hayes and Miller not playing with each other the whole season. So is 60 points for each of them realistic or not?

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
I think 60 points is not an outlandish estimate. So much season, but instead of just thinking of what might go wrong in that interval, I also have to think of all the good that can happen during that time.
It's like both of them crossed over a line in their development. That is nice.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I think 60 points is not an outlandish estimate. So much season, but instead of just thinking of what might go wrong in that interval, I also have to think of all the good that can happen during that time.
It's like both of them crossed over a line in their development. That is nice.

I love the chemistry with the two of them. I predict that of all of the combos going on and all the tinkering AV will inevitably do going forward and what he has actually done already in his tinkering, this combo of Hayes and Miller will stay intact for the majority of the year. They truly look like they belong together. We shalt see but I'd be very surprised if both of then don't attain 50+ points and more likely 60+. Love this combo bigtime.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Figured this thread I composed almost a week ago was worth a bump seeing that Miller and Hayes keep on keeping on.

Funny, with the injuries to Buch and Kreider, Miller last night was moved up to play with Zucc and Zibs and they looked awfully good together. My preference tho is for the two of them to continue to play with one another as they really do have some great chemistry with one another. I'm trying to decide if I like Vesey with Hayes and Miller or Grabossy. I think I like Grabs there. So hopefully when we get our walking wounded back, it will be Miller,Hayes and Grabs....agreed?

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
Honestly, I wouldn't be shocked if one or both of them ended the season with 70+ points.

Why not? Hayes' career trajectory has been really good, and Miller showed last year in the second half that he is more than capable of being our best player for long stretches.

These aren't scrubs, everyone can see the raw talent both players possess. Both were first round picks. Safe to say their respective ceilings are way above 40-50 points. Hayes is working hard, and came in this year on a mission, in the best shape of his career. Miller has been phenomenal since mid-season last year.

Look at some of the players around the league who have made those big leaps in their 3rd and 4th seasons, put it all together and became stars. Why not Miller and Hayes? The star potential is clearly there.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Could u imagine how good the jets would have made off with miller skjei and a first or even Hayes skjei and a first. Thank goodness our GM showed patience

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Could u imagine how good the jets would have made off with miller skjei and a first or even Hayes skjei and a first. Thank goodness our GM showed patience

Your so right...."pheww". We would have been so f'd.

Thank the good lord Gorton is very good at his job....:nod:

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Honestly, I wouldn't be shocked if one or both of them ended the season with 70+ points.

Why not? Hayes' career trajectory has been really good, and Miller showed last year in the second half that he is more than capable of being our best player for long stretches.

These aren't scrubs, everyone can see the raw talent both players possess. Both were first round picks. Safe to say their respective ceilings are way above 40-50 points. Hayes is working hard, and came in this year on a mission, in the best shape of his career. Miller has been phenomenal since mid-season last year.

Look at some of the players around the league who have made those big leaps in their 3rd and 4th seasons, put it all together and became stars. Why not Miller and Hayes? The star potential is clearly there.

Dang 70 points? Here it is I thought both of them getting 60 points was being overzealous...:laugh: All kidding aside, both of them right this very moment are on pace for around 80 points. That's not going to happen. Miller and Hayes are not point per game guys. Their shooting %'s are in the stratosphere right now. I think Hayes is over 30%. Miller is around 20%.

So let's say there is the inevitable "market correction" for the two of them and they come down to earth a bit along with most of the other guys(we aren't going to be averaging 4-5 goals a game by end of season...or are we?) and let's say they stay relatively healthy and play all 81 games. I don't think 70 points is realistic but I'm starting to think my original 60 point ceiling might need to get raised a tad to possibly 65 points tops for either of them with a floor of around 50. That would be mighty impressive if that would to occur. Hope AV puts the two back together along with Grabs when the walking wounded come back.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Your so right...."pheww". We would have been so f'd.

Thank the good lord Gorton is very good at his job....:nod:

We would have definitely given up two huge assets . Both of those assets you could say right now are performing as top 5 players on this team. Skjei is our second best dman and miller top 2/3 forward.

Open Mind

Nov 14, 2014
Question for my Ranger brothers in here. With both these guys on pace for point a game seasons thus far with 15% of the season gone, we obviously don't think the two will end up with 80 or so points for each of them as the two of them are playing well above their pay grades.

Question tho, if I said Hayes ends up with 20 goals and 35 assists...55 points or so maybe even 60 and Miller ends up with 25 goals an 35 assists....60 points as well or so would y'all think that was realistic expectations considering the talent the two of them have combined with the fact we have 2 if not 3 other lines that opposing teams have to be concerned with? I really think the two of them can attain these numbers....what say you? Am I nuts?

Nice avatar. I was at game 7 in '86, as well as game 5 against Houston, Dwight Gooden vs Nolan Ryan. Ryan pitched a 2-hitter and Gooden pitched 10 innings. Both games were unreal experiences.

No reason to believe Miller and Hayes can't hit 50-60 pts. These guys showed up to play. They'll likely have slow patches offensively, but they're both so focused I don't think it'll affect them much or change their approaches. Really impressed with Miller's progression and how Hayes rebounded this season. Great to see.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
if both of them score 60+ i will be extremely happy! 50+ and they have had a solid offensive season

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
if both of them score 60+ i will be extremely happy! 50+ and they have had a solid offensive season

Yeah I'm thinking now from what I've seen of the two, their floors are 50 points. Funny how our thought processes have changed. Before the season all of us would have taken 50 points from both Hayes and Miller and would have been ecstatic.

At this point, most of us would be pretty dissapointed if they didn't get past 50 points and in fact closer to 60. Amazing how expectations have changed for not just these two but the team as a whole....gotta luv it!!

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Composed this thread a tad over two weeks ago. Thought it might deserve a bump.

Pace that both of them are on are the following....pretty remarkable:

Hayes:

81 GP
36 Goals
33 Assists
69 Points
128 SOG

Now get this...Hayes on pace to be +58 as well....that's nuts!

Miller:

81 GP
29 Goals
40 Assists
69 Points
180 SOG
Miller is only on pace for a +47....what a slacker he is.

From what I've seen of these two, they've been not only best Ranger fwds all season long but in fact best Ranger players from Day 1. That they play with one another quite a bit is that much better as the two have some real good chemistry.

Hopefully when Buch comes back, we'll see the Grabs,Hayes, Miller line back as that might be best line combo of them all.

Anyways, looks like in my original post that the two of them ending up with 55+ points or so should be almost a sure thing(injuries withstanding as I am knocking on wood). It's just a question if the two end up with 60 or more at this point. Signs seem to point to that occuring which would be pretty amazing considering our expectations before the season.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
I think Hayes' game is the one more prone to slumps. Both their games are more fit for consistent production than Zib and Kreider. Hayes was so underrated last year. He had a really decent sophomore year but our coach made it seem like he was a 4th liner. He was actually one of our better offensive players.

Miller is like a more talented Callahan.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
I think Hayes' game is the one more prone to slumps. Both their games are more fit for consistent production than Zib and Kreider. Hayes was so underrated last year. He had a really decent sophomore year but our coach made it seem like he was a 4th liner. He was actually one of our better offensive players.

Miller is like a more talented Callahan.

Doesn't jibe with my eye test. I thought Hayes played significantly worse last year than his rookie year. Looked lazy and out of shape. Back checking was non existent.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I said this the other day. These guys are big strong Fast and skilled. There is nothing that tells me they are going away anytime soon. They are very good players. I see nothing in their games that tell me they'll fall off. If anything they've missed some slam dunks prob should have even more pts.

Both should be all stars this year.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Doesn't jibe with my eye test. I thought Hayes played significantly worse last year than his rookie year. Looked lazy and out of shape. Back checking was non existent.

Agreed, night and day the difference in Hayes from last year to this. It's been mentioned infinitum but it's really true, the weight loss has made him a bit quicker, a bit faster and has allowed his long reach to get too more pucks. Combine that with a much better compete level, we know are starting to see the Hayes we thought we were going to see last year after his very impressive rookie season. Actually, Hayes might be better than any of us thought he would be. He's been great from Day 1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad