Confirmed with Link: Miles Wood signed to three year ELC

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I think having Shero was a big reason Wood signed with us.
I couldn't see lou giving him a max rookie salary of 925,00 with the promise of burning a year by just letting him play one game.
If lou were still GM, I don't think he would have signed this easily.

Maybe, but Lou gets credit for drafting him.

Just about the entirety of the current youth movement we are now seeing is Lou/Conte.

Now would Lou throw that bone to Wood? The throw away ELC year? The max salary? I don't know, how much credit Shero should get for what's going on right now is an interesting debate.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Just about the entirety of the current youth movement we are now seeing is Lou/Conte.

Now would Lou throw that bone to Wood? The throw away ELC year? The max salary? I don't know, how much credit Shero should get for what's going on right now is an interesting debate.

It doesn't need to be a debate. Most important thing is the kid is here and might be a late round gem.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I think having Shero was a big reason Wood signed with us.
I couldn't see lou giving him a max rookie salary of 925,00 with the promise of burning a year by just letting him play one game.
If lou were still GM, I don't think he would have signed this easily.

It's easy to say that now cause there's no way to prove or disprove it...but Lou as far as I remember never lost a college kid so I don't think it's fair to suggest he wouldn't have signed Wood. He lost Van Ryn after 'one' year when Van Ryn was clearly set on not playing for us anyway, that's it.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
It doesn't need to be a debate. Most important thing is the kid is here and might be a late round gem.

Well debates rarely "need" to happen, but I think it would make for an interesting one.

The Wood's issue only being a small part of equation, such a debate would require it's own thread.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I'm just gonna pop in here to say I was right all along about Wood's parents wanting Miles to finish high school in case he got an opportunity to leave college early. :sarcasm:

Czech Trio

Aug 29, 2009
In only one game it was evident Wood's speed, size, and ability to move on the ice could be something special. As it is he is NHLer. The jury is still out on his finishing/production but without even seeing any of that against Toronto its evident he can/will be a absolute force. I counted at least twice Wood was able to hurdle himself up on loose pucks without the opposing defender knowing he was coming up. Wood is going to be a nightmare on the forecheck/loose pucks.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I have to say I'm really shocked he chose to go pro. My gut feeling was education was too much of a priority for his family.

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey

It has to be Shero as he seems more liberal in his management methods than Lou.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I have to say I'm really shocked he chose to go pro. My gut feeling was education was too much of a priority for his family.

I don't know what was going on in hs, don't know how he would have gone to college without a hs degree, or why it took so long to get it, but that was what was said, they wanted him to get his hs degree.

And I can see getting a hs degree would be a mandatory requirement for parents.

In order for him to get his college degree(at least as a student athlete) he'd be 3 more years away from going pro. That's a ways off. Physically he's ready now.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I don't know what was going on in hs, don't know how he would have gone to college without a hs degree, or why it took so long to get it, but that was what was said, they wanted him to get his hs degree.

In order for him to get his college degree(at least as a student athlete) he'd be 3 more years away from going pro. That's a ways off. Physically he's ready now.

Maybe his parents realize he is not too good with the books :laugh:

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Can't wait to see him next year.

Definitely needs some time in Albany as his game looked really raw in the Toronto game, although that's expected. His mix of size and speed though was incredible. I know Toronto's defense isn't any good, but how fast he would get to loose pucks was remarkable.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Can't wait to see him next year.

Definitely needs some time in Albany as his game looked really raw in the Toronto game, although that's expected. His mix of size and speed though was incredible. I know Toronto's defense isn't any good, but how fast he would get to loose pucks was remarkable.

Looked raw with BC as well. The speed is certainly there, but his hands/finish and decision making are still catching up.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Jason Chimera might be a good comp for Wood. Maybe a bit less speed and a bit more physicality, but same kind of player. Third line winger who can be effective at ES and the on PK while chipping in 15-20 per season.

I would be very happy if Wood became that type of player at the pro level.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Wood got named to the USA Worlds team! The honour is slightly diminished with Warsofsky being named to the team as well, but still cool nonetheless :laugh:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Wood got named to the USA Worlds team! The honour is slightly diminished with Warsofsky being named to the team as well, but still cool nonetheless :laugh:

US World's team is always an eclectic mix, but certainly a nice honor for a 20 year old.

The staff and players of the 2016 U.S. Men's National Team are selected by the U.S. Men's National Team Advisory Group, led by Jim Johannson, assistant executive director of hockey operations for USA Hockey. Other members include Stan Bowman (Chicago Blackhawks), Dean Lombardi (Los Angeles Kings), David Poile (Nashville Predators), Ray Shero (New Jersey Devils), Dale Tallon (Florida Panthers) and Don Waddell (Carolina Hurricanes). In addition, Chris Drury (New York Rangers) will serve as a member of the management group for the 2016 U.S. Men's National Team

"Miles if you sign, I'll put in a good word for you."

I must have missed it before but Kinkaid is apparently on the team too. They're going younger with the group (possibly because vets turned down the invite). The Michigan line of Connor-Compher-Motte is going. Would be fun to see Wood flanking Auston Matthews.

hutter

Mar 6, 2014

He planned on getting his diploma in summer school but his father insisted upon him graduating from a prep school, specifically.

It makes sense. You can't really walk back into Nobles as a 25 year old with a failed NHL career behind you, and private schools do give you lots of connections. Wouldn't be hard to go back to college though.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Jason Chimera might be a good comp for Wood. Maybe a bit less speed and a bit more physicality, but same kind of player. Third line winger who can be effective at ES and the on PK while chipping in 15-20 per season.

I would be very happy if Wood became that type of player at the pro level.

I think this might be right. The player came to mind to will watching Wood was Tom Chorske.

Chorske was a much more heralded player being a 1st round pick and Minnesota's first ever "Mr. Hockey" and all but that straight up and down down speed, the lack of creativity with the puck and lacking finishing skills made me say a few times while watching him, "Hey, that looks like ol' Stone Hands Chorske"

However, he still managed to score 20 goals for NJ

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
I'm more impressed that he's a college player getting invited, basically. While Warsofsky and Gionta have made the team, they're borderline NHLers, and playing pro at the time. Wood has one game of pro experience. They invited the whole Michigan top line, but after them, Wood is the only NCAA forward on the team presently. Impressive for him to get an invite, thus far, over Vesey, Schmaltz, Boeser, Fitzgerald, Tuch, White etc.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
My thought on a comparable player to Wood was a prime Ryane Clowe. Wood isn't that big, and I don't remember Clowe ever being that fast, but I could still see a potential comparison.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00